Radio Comm on the trail?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This isn't a technical question about radios, but rather a question about the need for a radio and it's use.

I'm planning on running more trails, like BOH trails. So, while I was buying a new spare tire reinforcement, there was an optional antennae bracket. It was cheap enough, so I bought it, which led me to the question of why I need a radio.

I've been around radios for various reasons, but when used in recreational settings, I recall they were more an annoyance than any utility.

So, do I need a radio (assuming GMRS from what I've read), and why?
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I agree with @AZ Hella if you never run with anyone else. BUT, if you do ever go out in any sort of group they are nice. Especially if you can have a handheld as a spare in case someone does not have any communication (GMRS/HAM). And the handheld can be used when spotting as well.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
agree. what they said ^
The handhelds seem to work pretty well. I have been resisting dropping the coin on a vehicle mounted one myself.

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
GMRS seems to be more useful for a group run. Solo, I'd want some sort of Satellite based communicator that can SOS, text message and have the ability to sub month by month so you aren't paying the bill all the time unless you are really out far often.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I go on long distances alone, it's a nice thing to have for emergencies, NOAA weather, or hearing highway updates. Finding offroaders on the "4x4" channel (16). It's also nice to just hear people chatting sometimes. I have a GMRS Midland x275.

I also carry an actual emergency GPS SOS/texting device but I'll only use that in a real emergency. I think it's a Garmin but I forget.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
If you’re wheeling with others, you will be expected to have comms. It’s just basic courtesy.

If you only wheel alone, you obviously don’t “need” them, but they’re nice to have.

CB is on the way out. It just is. The past few years have seen everyone I know switch over. This is a good thing because GMRS is much better (although you do need a no-test license).

Happily, GMRS handhelds are quite good (CB handhelds were trash).

So my advice is to get a $99 GMRS handheld to bring on trips in case you need it.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks all.
I do also use it for weather updates. If you are wheeling alone I second the recommendation for an SOS type device. Up to you on the type of course. I use the link below. Had it for nearing 4 years and not used it yet thankfully. You just have to renew the device and your information every 2 years I believe.

https://www.rei.com/product/161982/acr-electronics-resqlink-400-personal-locator-beacon
I see that ACR transmits on 121.5 as well. 121.5 is an aviation frequency reserved for Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT). It is often monitored by commercial flights and even private pilots, especially in remote areas.

Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah legit PLBs are the bomb for just a big red oh shit button.

SAR crew members I’ve talked to go back and forth between preferring satellite communicators with an SOS button or PLB.

PLB strength is waaaaaay better. But garmin inreach can allow SAR to tailor their response and keep in contact.

I use an inreach mini paired with my phone for hiking for what it’s worth. In the contiguous US the iridium network is pretty damn solid.

Lots of times spent in tight canyons a PLB would work much better.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
GMRS is very good to have in a group, especially when you're not tightly packed together. Also fills in the gap when you need help but full on search & rescue would be overkill. Since they are relatively cheap, it squarely falls into the good to have category.

The thing I don't like about the ACR is that you can't state your emergency, so they're going to assume the worst. In some places you can be held accountable for the S&R cost. So it's only useful for severe emergencies. It's much more common to self-rescue with S&R awareness and monitoring.

Some examples: Trapped by flash flooding. S&R should be aware & monitoring even though you are fine and can shelter in place. Also wildfires. In that situation it's typically information you need so you can avoid rescue. You need the best evacuation route without consuming rescue resources that could be needed elsewhere and be monitored in case the situation changes.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Great feedback on the GMRS radios.

I had read where Jeep Jamboree required GMRS. I figure just about any organized event would require some standard radio communication. At this time, I have no plans for an organized event. But I do have plans for the Rubicon.

I'm planning a kind of "overland" trip for the fall/winter, where we re-trace the Tonopah-Tidewater railroad with a couple vehicles. So, I'll have to get a couple handhelds for that anyway. With what I've heard here, I think I'm going to avoid a vehicle mounted unit.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
SAR crew members I’ve talked to go back and forth between preferring satellite communicators with an SOS button or PLB.
SAR member here. Strongly prefer communicators exactly because we can figure out what’s wrong when someone hits the Oh Sh!t Button. Do they need a litter carry? Is it heat stroke? Did they twist an ankle? Was the button just hit on accident? Totally different SAR responses depending on what’s going on. Your chances of getting the right response increase if you can communicate with us.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
If you’re wheeling with others, you will be expected to have comms. It’s just basic courtesy.

If you only wheel alone, you obviously don’t “need” them, but they’re nice to have.

CB is on the way out. It just is. The past few years have seen everyone I know switch over. This is a good thing because GMRS is much better (although you do need a no-test license).

Happily, GMRS handhelds are quite good (CB handhelds were trash).

So my advice is to get a $99 GMRS handheld to bring on trips in case you need it.
Agreed! The FCC GMRS license is only $30, lasts 10 years, and covers your entire family. Baofeng makes a quality GMRS handheld radio that is $35.99 from Amazon and others. It's dustproof & waterproof IP67 compliant. It is easily programmed with Chirp for Ham frequencies as well as all the NOAA weather channels, too. 5 watts.

I pack the Baofeng UV9R radio in my Jeep and it has already paid for itself during severe weather. I tune in the local RACES frequency and hear about storm location before the TV guys do. I do plan to add a 50 watt GMRS mobile to the Jeep. It's easy to do so.

There are other GMRS radios to choose from, too. Just keep in mind they only transmit on GMRS frequencies. Ham radios can transmit on Ham frequencies as well as receive GMRS but are not licensed to transmit on GMRS. In the event of an emergency, ANYONE can transmit on Ham frequencies to ask for help but that's the limit. A Ham license requires a test and is also $30 now.
Sponsored