Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Almost right ... GMRS cost
Jeep Wrangler JL Radio Comm on the trail? 2- GMRS

And, the ham license ...

Jeep Wrangler JL Radio Comm on the trail? 2- GMRS
Ok, I've slept since getting mine last February (WRPH 809). Actually, I had to pay $70 because the FCC website couldn't process payment for the new rate despite the posted change in fee structure. I'm told now it can but don't know anyone who has been lucky enough to only pay $35.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
I paid the $70 in January and was annoyed to find out the price dropped. Oh well, still only $7/yr.
Same here - I read about the price drop but in February I had to pay $70 due to their website not having capacity to process anything but $70. Back then the timeline for the website upgrade was still a year an a half out. That said, I still paid the fee and have enjoyed the service. Works great!

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Notarubicon's YouTube channel has a number of GMRS related videos. Keep your sense of humor handy. Good GMRS information and reviews on various GMRS radios. Southern California GMRS users are lucky to have two great repeaters in the area that make communications a snap.

Sponsored

fastguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Submitted for a FCC 'ZA - GMRS' License 6 July. Paid $35 for 10 years. It's hard to beat the connivance a 5W HT that's repeater capable. It's a small price to pay to be legal and keep the sad HAMs happy.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I paid nothing for my ham license and $70 for my GMRS license ... so, on average, the total cost was the same as it is today. Went through CB ... not that great, but lots of folks were using it. Got my ham license 'cuz a number of the Tucson folks were using it. Bought a pair of Midland GXT1000 handhelds and was amazed with the clarity. Started loaning out one handheld when on a trail run. Several of my mates went home and ordered a pair after using one. We've slowly transitioned most of our crew over to GMRS. A number of them installed the MXT400 and MXT275 units ... that upped the range and clarity. I installed an MXT575 unit last month ... that's the ultimate move. Yes, there are some other great units on the market, but my wife can easily operate the 575 so I'm happy.

BTW ... if you want to see a clean install on the MXT575 here's my post: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/midland-mxt575-install.96285/

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
GMRS also has the side benefit of being compatible with regular consumer walkie talkies. I usually go solo, rarely ever used the CB in my JK and rarely ever used the GMRS in my JL. But on a recent camping trip it was nice to just hand my camping buddy (who doesn't have comms in his truck) a walkie and be able to receive it on the GMRS unit.

Otherwise, I haven't really used the GMRS much. But, since I do go solo and go pretty deep into the desert, I also have a satellite messenger/emergency beacon to save my bacon if I get hurt or stranded. It's a worthwhile investment and some of them, like the Garmin InReach, let you pay only the months you need the sat service. I hope never to need to use the SOS capabilities, but I feel better knowing that they are there.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I use a small hand held radio. The range is only 3k but when out with a group we are not very far apart. It takes AAA batteries. I have been using re-chargeable batteries. It takes 16 day trips for the batteries to pay for them selves as traditional batteries last 2 days.

When camping longer than 2 days I use traditional batteries as the re-chargeable batteries cannot be re-charged.

I have a soft top so I can't mount a radio in the vehicle ceiling.

I don't want to use the cigarette lighter for power as I don't like wires going all over the dash.

This radio sits on my dash. Even on the worst off roading I have done the radio stays put.

Jeep Wrangler JL Radio Comm on the trail? 3

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
I installed the Midland MXT500 with ghost antenna, but have several other radios that I carry. I have one other GMRS for spotting when outside the vehicle and then a couple others dedicated to official recoveries. Nice communicating while in a group, calling out scenery, risks, stopping, knowing if anyone in the group runs into an issue.

The large bulk of handhelds I have remaining are loaners when out with groups, someone always forgets one, didn't charge, or just someone new that hasn't made their purchase yet.

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re wheeling with others, you will be expected to have comms. It’s just basic courtesy.
~
So my advice is to get a $99 GMRS handheld to bring on trips in case you need it.
The other nice part is that the GMRS are usually sold in at least a pair.

I bought the Midland GXT1000 for Oahu hiking back in 2014, still have them and they're great. I bring both on group runs because inevitably someone needs one. It's also great for hitching up trucks with no backup camera.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
This isn't a technical question about radios, but rather a question about the need for a radio and it's use.
So, do I need a radio (assuming GMRS from what I've read), and why?
Radios aren't really well-suited for emergency use. Their range is too short. The need would be almost exclusively to talk amongst the group.

If you don't wheel with others, you don't need one. If you wheel with others, you need a minimal set up, like an inexpensive handheld.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I picked up this pair of Midland GMRS radios for $70 on Amazon when I first started wheeling last year. They work great, are small, easy to use, and having two has come in real handy - at least 50% of the time I join group runs, there's someone out there who's new and not equipped. Being able to toss them a radio so they're in communication with the group is worth it.

Bonus is I've also used them on family outings and other situations where yelling isn't a solution.

EDIT: forgot the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WMFYH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I use a small hand held radio. The range is only 3k but when out with a group we are not very far apart. It takes AAA batteries. I have been using re-chargeable batteries. It takes 16 day trips for the batteries to pay for them selves as traditional batteries last 2 days.

When camping longer than 2 days I use traditional batteries as the re-chargeable batteries cannot be re-charged.

I have a soft top so I can't mount a radio in the vehicle ceiling.

I don't want to use the cigarette lighter for power as I don't like wires going all over the dash.

This radio sits on my dash. Even on the worst off roading I have done the radio stays put.

Jeep Wrangler JL Radio Comm on the trail? 3
We have the dock for two radios to charge, and for a camping trip or all day event, I'll utilize the DC outlet in the back.
Sponsored