Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have been very pleased with the Rhino Rack backbone system. The end caps are a bit cheap, but rest of system is solid.

I ran about 12k-14k miles last year with the tent overhead, and the only issue was one of a bit of squeaking from the Vortex feet due to my reinstall. It wasn’t initially perfectly squared up, and it put diagonal stress on the footers.

Once re-squared, noise went away.

I did add airbags in the rear for leveling when laden. Best under-$200 mod for this heavyweight rig.
What airbags did you go with?
Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I have an iKamper (skycamp 2.0) as well and don't have any complaints about it. It sleeps 2 adults and 2 kids nicely. Hasn't leaked but has had condensation under the sleeping mat. It was a pleasure dealing with them for warranty work. Come to think about it, the only complaint is the ladder. For whatever reason, it seemed like the ladder was slipping down on the sides. I called and got a replacement. That lasted a bit, then the last step same thing; it slipped down and off the aluminum side. I'm hoping that this third ladder lasts.

This isn't focused at the iKamper but overall, weight is an issue. The iKamper weights about 160lbs. I had to get creative with trying to figure out how to get it on top of the jeep. And once it's on, you can't pull it into the garage. So you're either parking it outside or getting creative before and after each trip. Weight is also another issue. Like the others have noted, I also added air bags to my rear suspension.

In the end, I still have the iKamper but now it sits on an "overland" style trailer. I love it. No longer do I have to cram everything in the jeep, I don't have to spend half a day packing, and I can take what I want and not have to limit myself. If you do a lot of camping, I would suggest looking into something like this setup.

Rental01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURXe (Bikini!)
In the end, I still have the iKamper but now it sits on an "overland" style trailer. I love it. No longer do I have to cram everything in the jeep, I don't have to spend half a day packing, and I can take what I want and not have to limit myself. If you do a lot of camping, I would suggest looking into something like this setup.
Did you build your own overland trailer?

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Did you build your own overland trailer?
I did not. I was close to it, but the hardest part was the frame. I'm not a welder, and I was afraid the HF frame option wouldn't be as strong. They also say the wheels aren't supposed to be used for highway driving.

I went with a Smittybilt Scout trailer. It was cost effective, met pretty much all my requirements, and looks pretty good. It's a good base build and there's still things you have to do, but you get to do it yourself. I wasn't happy with the installation though. There was a 4wp about a half hour from me, so they wouldn't deliver it to my door. I was going to go pick it up, but there was nothing I could rent cheaply that I could haul it home and get it off the trailer. I ended up having 4wp install it and it went about as expected. Critical bolts weren't thread locked and some were just finger tight if that. By the time I got home, some bolts loosened up enough where the threads were already worn off. The fenders weren't installed correctly. I think that was about it. I spent the next weekend torqueing and fixing everything and getting half my installation price back.

Now that I've had it for a bit, I'm thinking about the future. The RTT is nice but it's rough when it rains. Never had water get in, but you always have to open it up after a trip and let it dry out. It's nice to hook up and go instead of having to spend an entire day packing. But even so, there's batteries that need charging, food that needs placing, and supplies that need to be refilled. It's easier than car camping, but still requires work. I'm thinking that in maybe two years, I may sell and upgrade to a teardrop style trailer. They're nice, everything has a place, and it looks much more comfy sleeping.

Rental01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURXe (Bikini!)
I did not. I was close to it, but the hardest part was the frame. I'm not a welder, and I was afraid the HF frame option wouldn't be as strong. They also say the wheels aren't supposed to be used for highway driving.

I went with a Smittybilt Scout trailer. It was cost effective, met pretty much all my requirements, and looks pretty good. It's a good base build and there's still things you have to do, but you get to do it yourself. I wasn't happy with the installation though. There was a 4wp about a half hour from me, so they wouldn't deliver it to my door. I was going to go pick it up, but there was nothing I could rent cheaply that I could haul it home and get it off the trailer. I ended up having 4wp install it and it went about as expected. Critical bolts weren't thread locked and some were just finger tight if that. By the time I got home, some bolts loosened up enough where the threads were already worn off. The fenders weren't installed correctly. I think that was about it. I spent the next weekend torqueing and fixing everything and getting half my installation price back.

Now that I've had it for a bit, I'm thinking about the future. The RTT is nice but it's rough when it rains. Never had water get in, but you always have to open it up after a trip and let it dry out. It's nice to hook up and go instead of having to spend an entire day packing. But even so, there's batteries that need charging, food that needs placing, and supplies that need to be refilled. It's easier than car camping, but still requires work. I'm thinking that in maybe two years, I may sell and upgrade to a teardrop style trailer. They're nice, everything has a place, and it looks much more comfy sleeping.
I'm thinking about either building one from a smittybuilt base or just getting a Hiker mid range XL (10 foot) trailer for like $22K. It's expensive but it has everything I need. Not sure yet, and plenty of time to think about it.

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm thinking about either building one from a smittybuilt base or just getting a Hiker mid range XL (10 foot) trailer for like $22K. It's expensive but it has everything I need. Not sure yet, and plenty of time to think about it.
If you're willing to source a few extra parts (ie a gladiator bed etc), the upcoming AAL Adventure trailer kit looks to be quite promising. I think there was a video that he mentioned it will be priced pretty reasonably too.

https://americanadventurelab.com/adventure-trailer-kit-atk/

I added a few more tents to my list for Overland Expo, being all of them are there.

- 4X4 COLORADO - Nimbus Hardshell Roof Top Tent
- ALUCAB - GEN 3R, LT-50
- JAMES BAROUD - Odyssey
- ROOFNEST - FALCON PRO
- IKAMPER - BDV
- Dirtbox Tellurika
- Dark Barracks RRT - *currently a kickstarter. Competing with the Redtail Overland hard sided RTT. but a lot less $.

The James Baroud tent is still my number one pick. I just dont see the others matching the quality. Will be nice to see as many as possible in person.

Rental01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURXe (Bikini!)
If you're willing to source a few extra parts (ie a gladiator bed etc), the upcoming AAL Adventure trailer kit looks to be quite promising. I think there was a video that he mentioned it will be priced pretty reasonably too.

https://americanadventurelab.com/adventure-trailer-kit-atk/

I added a few more tents to my list for Overland Expo, being all of them are there.

- 4X4 COLORADO - Nimbus Hardshell Roof Top Tent
- ALUCAB - GEN 3R, LT-50
- JAMES BAROUD - Odyssey
- ROOFNEST - FALCON PRO
- IKAMPER - BDV
- Dirtbox Tellurika
- Dark Barracks RRT - *currently a kickstarter. Competing with the Redtail Overland hard sided RTT. but a lot less $.

The James Baroud tent is still my number one pick. I just dont see the others matching the quality. Will be nice to see as many as possible in person.
We are going to be back in Colorado for the Overland MTN West in Loveland (moving back to Loveland for a couple years). I hope to see a lot of these options there and to see what they look like in person.
Sponsored