6 weeks old and 1100 miles. caught a rock right under the wiper blade. :(
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Woo-hoo. I'm now part of the Cracked Windshield Club.

Had to wait a while... A whole 2100 miles and less than two months old.

Wonder what I'm going to have to do to with my Chicago city sticker.

IMG_8056.jpg
Matt,

Unfortunately I am due for another one also.

I have friends in the body shop business. They have accounts with several glass companies like Safelite and smaller independent glass companies. All of them have a service where they come out to you. Not all are equal. Some companies are less careful depending on the tech and training they have. Safelite is the most well trained and consistent.

Safelite will remove and reapply your Chicago city sticker, I-pass, etc to the new windshield. Their techs use the most state of the art tools and protocols to minimize the possibility of damage to your vehicle. They will come to your location or you can take it in to one of their locations.

I take mine in to their location at 1945 W Hubbard St Unit A, Chicago, IL 60622. I take it in for a couple of reasons. Rubicons are higher up and it's harder to reach sometimes. The tech has to reach across your hood to clean off the old sealant. The Safelite shop has benches, steps, and a second person to help if needed. They had a second person assist briefly both times my glass was done there. They usually have a second windshield in inventory if for some reason something goes wrong. Their super clean climate controlled shop is a much better enviorment then having them come to you to do the work on the street. The last thing you want is for wind to blow and debris like leaves or grit to get stuck to the silicone before setting the windshield. The shop is warm. A warm tech takes their time. I have seen techs rush the job while working on the street because it's cold or raining.

Safelite takes appointments and are fairly prompt. Takes about a hour to complete the work. The 1945 W. Hubbard location is very professional.

Last edited:

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
...Safelite will remove and reapply your Chicago city sticker, I-pass, etc to the new windshield... I take mine in to their location at 1945 W Hubbard St Unit A, Chicago, IL 60622... Safelite takes appointments and are fairly prompt. Takes about a hour to complete the work. The 1945 W. Hubbard location is very professional.
Oh man Nick, Thanks for the great info!

That's good to know that they will transfer the city sticker. Apparently Chicago only charges $5 to replace it if you provide an invoice for the windshield, but it's much easier to get it all done at once.

Especially great tips on taking it to the Hubbard location instead of having it done at home. I'll have my wife take it there.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Does safelite use factory or aftermarket glass?

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Oh man Nick, Thanks for the great info!

That's good to know that they will transfer the city sticker. Apparently Chicago only charges $5 to replace it if you provide an invoice for the windshield, but it's much easier to get it all done at once.

Especially great tips on taking it to the Hubbard location instead of having it done at home. I'll have my wife take it there.
The City sticker and other sticker will not be a problem.

They are pretty open schedule wise. I called this morning and they could have taken me within the hour if I wanted. They had a lot of openings this week. It's very possible to get a same day appointment this week.

Their shop is super clean and organized. Ask for Ramon if possible. Ramon was the tech who did my last windshields. He has done manyJL windshields. He was excellent. Very neat and conscientious. He takes pride in his work.

I looked up my old receipt. I went through my insurance because I have a $100 deductible for comprehensive. It's a non-chargable claim. Here is a break down of the cost.

$866.55 is the dealer's list price of the OEM Mopar windshield.

$537.26 is the discounted selling price of the OEM windshield.
$20 kit
$120.90 labor
$57.12 sales tax
$735.28 total

Last edited:

lulzky

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
fumbling with new wiperblades.... and now I'm part of the cracked windshield in under a year club. :(

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
You know I’m not sure yet. It was offered from the dealer when I got my Jeep. I’ll have to look who it is through and can get back to you.
In Texas, will insurance companies replace a windshield for free? When I lived in Florida, insurance companies would replace one windshield per year if it's cracked. They considered it a hazard. Insurance companies, by law, could not raise your premium based on a cracked windshield. I had multiple windshields replaced over the years.

Any other Texans feel free to chime in!

Sponsored

minimiso

First Name
Kimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Happy Birthday PunK'n! It's her first birthday ... and her first BIG windshield crack! Guess she'll be getting the gift of some new glass.

crack.jpeg

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I got a rock hit below the wiper just before pulling into the driveway. It was already a 1.5” star. It took me about an hour with a rain-x kit but the repair is still solid and almost invisible after 3 weeks.
the kits are about $10 at Walmart and will last about a year once opened so it can be used several times.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Anyone with factory glass have issues re-programming the advanced safety module on a lifted Jeep? My dealer had to spend multiple days swapping out the module and putting it into a stock non lifted Jeep, programming it, and putting it back in mine. Not sure it'll work yet, but kind of crazy just for a glass replacement. Lift is within spec of the safety system, so its covered by warranty, but still.

First windshield made it nearly 18k miles.

RavenJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Granite Backcountry 2007 Camp Jeep
I just want to say I cracked my windshield year ago and have been unwilling to pay the exorbitant fees that most places wanted to replace it. Cheapest quote I got was $390. I found a place online that works with local shops...www.windshieldstogo.com. It was $260 installed and out the door, shop was 30 minutes from me, non Covid they will come to you but because of Covid I had to take it to them. They did a great job and actually said if it cracks again ( I hope not but I'm realistic) they would only charge me $210 to install next time. They also offer the option of just buying the glass that was $180. Doesn't look that difficult to replace according to YouTube videos but would require purchasing equipment to do the install myself, so it was worth the extra $80 to have it installed . This was by far the least expensive option I found. Hope that helps someone.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Got my guest crack last week just two month shy of two years without one. 38k miles crack free. I can't complain. I hope my replacement can last just as long.
Sponsored