First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Dude seriously you should probably just stay in the house the next 3 years and you should be fine. Me? Hell I've had my top off for a month and a half and it won't be going back on until October.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Dude seriously you should probably just stay in the house the next 3 years and you should be fine. Me? Hell I've had my top off for a month and a half and it won't be going back on until October.
Hey man this is serious, cut him some slack. I had the top off and doors off the other day and now I have Herpes, the threat is real yo... respect.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The most frustrating thing for me is the willful ignorance on both sides.

People ranting about the rise in deaths from other illnesses, suicides, etc. greatly exaggerate their figures while pointing fingers at the media for greatly exaggerating their figures.

People hold signs outside their state capitols fretting about the government controlling their bodies, yet they are cool with the government controlling a woman's body in other matters.

People comparing COVID-19 to other illnesses like cancer, or even comparing it to other tragedies like car crashes. Cancer and car crashes are not contagious, and I hope anyone with half a brain can see the false analogies in arguments like that.

At the end of the day, I just hope people learn. I hope people learn how to sift through the noise coming from left-wing media, right-wing media, and social media. I hope people re-evaluate what we stand for as a society. I hope governments around the world use this as a reminder of how we aren't invincible and masters of the universe; a virus spread from bats can claim over a 100,000 lives in months in the greatest and most advanced country on the planet.

Ridiculing people on the other "side" as you doesn't help. Reciting stupid drivel you read on some forum or Twitter from your favorite echo chamber doesn't help. Look at both sides. Talk to people, especially those who have different opinions than your own. Learn.

(Oh, sorry - and go ahead and put your soft top down. Others have said: it's the parts-per-million of the virus, and outside as long as you have a healthy immune system and are just cruising along, you most likely will be ok.)

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
If this covid thing is real then wouldn't all the freak'n looters steal toilet paper and sanitizers instead of t.v.s and tennis shoes?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
If this covid thing is real then wouldn't all the freak'n looters steal toilet paper and sanitizers instead of t.v.s and tennis shoes?
You're right, I think you just disproved the whole thing.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day, I just hope people learn. I hope people learn how to sift through the noise coming from left-wing media, right-wing media, and social media. I hope people re-evaluate what we stand for as a society.
Wait, is this forum considered social media? I need to discern if what you wrote is noise or if I should use it in forming my opinion.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
It’s naked season
Jeep Wrangler JL COVID and Soft tops D12B576D-90E0-4ADF-85C7-F14488ABC0F1

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your inspirational thoughts.

I guess coming from a group where a fair number of members see their vehicle as far more than simply a means to run errands and get places--myself included--for which the ride itself can be (part of) the destination, (and that some of those destinations can be quite remote) that possible contagion at stopping points doesn't detract from the 99.999% safety from infection, including mask-less driving, that the ride itself holds.

I too love my Wrangler, and I suppose the argument about not burning gas, either for cost or pollution not only has nothing to do with COVID, but is probably better made on a "Prius board:" not that I mean to judge those who drive them, and other less ICE dependent vehicles like them.

With this said, I must say, trying to approach COVID apolitically, some responses above have really given more cause for concern.

There is neither data nor reason to suspect that people with excellent hygiene can't get it just as much as others. It is not just "the flu," in its higher rates of mortality and spread, the later likely in part to the illness' asymptomatic nature for some often not seen in flus, and it's certainly not a hoax as we are near 100K deaths.

Sure, in fairness, many who have perished had comorbidity issues like old age, but many haven't, and many are still recovering having survived. And I do appreciate where some claiming hoax are really just relaying anger that infection death must be balanced with death from the poverty that shutting down the economy can and will cause.

Still more, avoiding States whose infection numbers are on the decline, due to strict protocols, particularly for those States yet to peak that have now reopened, I can't help but think, based on science, is more, not less risky. If what was meant by that is that spread can be more prevalent in population centers, then that point is well taken.

This is not to disparage ANY of our "50." This is to say that science supported by sound data just doesn't lie.

Good health and happy Jeeping to all.
I am feeling really angry at how people are dismissing this as the “flu” or a “hoax”. It is not. I live in NYC. My friend got this damn virus and suffered tremendously and was in the ICU on a respirator. And she is 38 marathon runner with no comorbidity. Unless it happens to you or your close ones it is very easy for people to turn a blind eye or make fun of others.

The problem with this virus is that it can spread from asymptomatic people. So, you don’t know who the hell has it. NY is a hot zone for this virus because of it’s dense population. But, don’t fool yourself thinking it can’t spread to where you live. Wear a mask, be hygienic, go for a ride, but be cognizant of your surroundings and your actions.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Wait, is this forum considered social media? I need to discern if what you wrote is noise or if I should use it in forming my opinion.
I would consider internet forums social media, so I would count any posts on here as opinions and "white noise," if you wish.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I am feeling really angry at how people are dismissing this as the “flu” or a “hoax”. It is not. I live in NYC. My friend got this damn virus and suffered tremendously and was in the ICU on a respirator. And she is 38 marathon runner with no comorbidity. Unless it happens to you or your close ones it is very easy for people to turn a blind eye or make fun of others.

The problem with this virus is that it can spread from asymptomatic people. So, you don’t know who the hell has it. NY is a hot zone for this virus because of it’s dense population. But, don’t fool yourself thinking it can’t spread to where you live. Wear a mask, be hygienic, go for a ride, but be cognizant of your surroundings and your actions.
Yup.. its no wonder why the US has the highest number surrounding covid. The real problem is that the "I woke up in America/freedom fighters" are putting everyone else with common sense at risk due to the asymptomatic nature of the disease. Whats even worse, is that we can't even have a pandemic without it being seriously distorted by the political ringer. The bottom line, there is no cure, if you get it your pretty much rolling the dice, and nobody on this planet knows very much about it. So air with caution.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Whats even worse, is that we can't even have a pandemic without it being seriously distorted by the political ringer. The bottom line, there is no cure, if you get it your pretty much rolling the dice, and nobody on this planet knows very much about it. So air with caution.
I totally agree, that pretty much sums it up. The left paints it as the end of times, the right minimizes it to nothing. A bit of caution for the sake of your fellow man in a time like this goes a long way.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I don’t believe that I have COVID. But, I could have contracted it yesterday or the day before and be shedding lots of virus everywhere I go. I just don’t know. And nobody with it, until they become symptomatic, knows if they have it either.

so I wear a mask anytime I am out of my home- errands, etc or just out for a walk on the city sidewalk and around folks. The mask will NOT protect me. Rather, I wear it to protect others FROM me. And I appreciate anyone who will provide me the same simple courtesy.

country after country has greatly reduced the spread of COVID when their citizens chose to put others ahead of themselves. That is what I choose to do. I believe that It’s a small gesture and a minor inconvenience for me or anyone else who actually wants to help.

as an update, OP, this thread is about a week old..... did you rip that top off an go for a drive?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
My wife and I have been practicing social distancing for 40 years. Thats why we wheel alone, camp alone, hunt alone, fish alone, cook killer meals alone, and drink alone . We are like the Faulkers" we allow only children and grand kids into the inner circle after they have been bathed in sanitizer and "seven" dust (just in case they have fleas).

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I don’t believe that I have COVID. But, I could have contracted it yesterday or the day before and be shedding lots of virus everywhere I go. I just don’t know. And nobody with it, until they become symptomatic, knows if they have it either.

so I wear a mask anytime I am out of my home- errands, etc or just out for a walk on the city sidewalk and around folks. The mask will NOT protect me. Rather, I wear it to protect others FROM me. And I appreciate anyone who will provide me the same simple courtesy.

country after country has greatly reduced the spread of COVID when their citizens chose to put others ahead of themselves. That is what I choose to do. I believe that It’s a small gesture and a minor inconvenience for me or anyone else who actually wants to help.

as an update, OP, this thread is about a week old..... did you rip that top off an go for a drive?
Ayy men..!

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I hope governments around the world use this as a reminder of how we aren't invincible and masters of the universe; a virus spread from bats can claim over a 100,000 lives in months in the greatest and most advanced country on the planet
So I found this point interesting. As humans, we seem to think that we are able to overcome all problems and challenges. This is true to a large extent, but not 100%.

We are all subject to the laws of nature and there are situations, like this one, where we are spinning our wheels attempting to avoid the inevitable. Here are the rules: (1) this virus is now a permanent resident of planet earth; (2) the virus is airborne and infects humans resulting in respiratory disease; (3) the virus has a specific rate of infection, specific means of infection and specific mortality rate; (4) certain populations are more susceptible to the virus and will die. We would need to change the rules of nature for this agent to expect a different outcome. Feeble attempts like wearing masks and stay-at-home orders are, at best, only delaying the game from being played. If you want to change the game, you need to somehow change the rules. For example: discover a miracle therapeutic; change human susceptibility by developing a highly effective and safe vaccine; change the virulence through genetic mutation/modification of the virus.

I keep telling friends and family that they need to accept the fact that they will be exposed to the virus and unfortunately, there is very little that the everyday person can do to influence the outcome of that exposure.

My background: geneticist and microbiologist for 28 years. Worked in and managed a high-security biocontainment facility for over 10 years with infectious agents including SARS, HIV, TB, HCV, HBV, WNV. I know what it takes to protect myself, family and general public.... and I'm not wearing a mask for COVID.
Sponsored