Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Textiles definitely aren't a materials science I can claim much knowledge of. I can't tell how much they costs compared to the two materials Bestop uses to create the factory soft tops, how much harder it is to work with, how much more it weighs, keep clean, expose to the elements, etc.

Perhaps one of you does: say in law enforcement who wears one.

I ask because I'd love to see a soft top made of this stuff. And sure, someone can always take a knife to the soft top windows, but replacement windows can be bought separately.

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Textiles definitely aren't a materials science I can claim much knowledge of. I can't tell how much they costs compared to the two materials Bestop uses to create the factory soft tops, how much harder it is to work with, how much more it weighs, keep clean, expose to the elements, etc.

Perhaps one of you does: say in law enforcement who wears one.

I ask because I'd love to see a soft top made of this stuff. And sure, someone can always take a knife to the soft top windows, but replacement windows can be bought separately.

A channel called MrGunsNGear on youtube regularly tests out polymer/fabric based armor. Basically, when a round hits the fabric, the material briefly melts around the bullet and then resolidifies - catching the bullet in effect. Assuming that it's rated for the round, of course. In theory, it's probably totally doable to line the interior of a soft top with said material, but it's efficacy is probably pretty limited since it only covers the top of your vehicle. I assume you wouldn't want to fold the top a million times either, might create creases or soft spots. And the wide open plastic windows that cover 1/3rd of the JLU to almost half of the JL make it pointless IMO. Most polymer armor I know of is only rated to level III, or handgun rounds, so I don't think it's even worth consideration.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
The layering of the textiles inside the carrier of the vest is what makes them more resistant. A whole top of that material could get rather heavy.

And a vest used everyday slowly wears down, about 3-5 year lifespan IIRC. I imagine the wind over the top providing movement and friction of the layers of textile would cause premature wear, and loss of performance.
Sponsored