Sponsored

Cold Air Intake by Mopar?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Looking at the picture, I'm confused as to how the outside air gets from the newly created vent into the air filter assembly. It looks like the assembly doesn't mate up the hood vent opening. Is there an unrestricted path that we can't see from that angle?
Here is a better picture of the two. With the hood completely closed you can see how the air is directed in.
20200228_115127.jpg

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
@BrntWS6 Wondering about adding this option to the build sheet and why you did the mod. Were you seeing air intake temps that were uncomfortable or just like to let a diesel breathe? It appears that it would interfere with the Rubicon side decal. Wondering what Jeep will do in that regard, slide the lettering over, reduce lettering, or eliminate the lettering.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
@BrntWS6 Wondering about adding this option to the build sheet and why you did the mod. Were you seeing air intake temps that were uncomfortable or just like to let a diesel breathe? It appears that it would interfere with the Rubicon side decal. Wondering what Jeep will do in that regard, slide the lettering over, reduce lettering, or eliminate the lettering.
Main reason is i just really liked the looks of it. Never monitored any temps but anything to help lower them is always good. I have a Sahara (3.6l) so lettering was not an issue for me. I am interested to see what the factory does with this option on different models and how the hoods are cut.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
I'm guessing it'll look iike this:
That's how they've been doing the snorkel, right over the top of the Rubi decal. I think it's the best route.

Sponsored

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Main reason is i just really liked the looks of it. Never monitored any temps but anything to help lower them is always good. I have a Sahara (3.6l) so lettering was not an issue for me. I am interested to see what the factory does with this option on different models and how the hoods are cut.
Thanks for responding. After posting I went and watched your two videos on the install, well done. Holy smokes that original ducting is hideous, looks like a canker on the side of a tree. I would think just the new box, filter and ducting would be some improvement and the vent as the icing on the cake.

I'm guessing it'll look iike this:

That's how they've been doing the snorkel, right over the top of the Rubi decal. I think it's the best route.
Yeah that doesn't look bad like I had imagined, thanks for posting the picture.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Why is this done? Horsepower? Sound?
According to the Mopar materials "Cooler outside air flows through a directional filter directly into the intake manifold, providing noticeable horsepower and torque gains under varying atmospheric conditions."

Curious about @BrntWS6 real life experience with this post install.

I'm also curious about performance gains from snorkels such as the AmFib and how they compare.

USMC0311

First Name
Oslo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU diesel Rubicon
In case anyone wants to watch a fool cut a hole in a brand new Jeep. I could give two shits if you subscribe. My wife started the channel. I just like putting things on to help people.

Wow, good job. I don't know if I'd dare cut into a brand new hood!

Sponsored

USMC0311

First Name
Oslo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU diesel Rubicon
I just noticed this in the build & price tool at jeep.com. Is this new as a factory-ordered option? Just curious; I'm not a CAI fan. Although, interestingly, this setup appears to actually draw cold air rather than under-hood air. And...if bought on a new vehicle, Jeep does the hood cuts at the factory.
Yes. It is a build option, unfortunately I didn't check that box, then changed my mind after delivery. Odd that they can add it at the factory but Mopar won't sell it as after market yet. Also have read anything from 0 to 72 hp increase and torque increase to above 500 fp. Who knows what is fact?

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Yes. It is a build option, unfortunately I didn't check that box, then changed my mind after delivery. Odd that they can add it at the factory but Mopar won't sell it as after market yet. Also have read anything from 0 to 72 hp increase and torque increase to above 500 fp. Who knows what is fact?
Iā€™d expect increase in intake roar, but zero power. 72 bhp is the most outlandish claim Iā€™ve ever seen for a CAI.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
10 hp is probably more like it but in the upper rpm range. I plan on getting the Livernois tune eventually so it should compliment the CAI well.

From what I have read the CAI from the factory does not include the hood cut.

DrRay81

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Is this actually a build option or an error on the build page? According to my 2021 build sheet I have the 3.73 gears in my diesel rubicon build but on the build website it says 4.10 gears. So trying to see if anyone was actually able to order the cai? I also didnā€™t realize the front trail camera was an option. So if this was an option thatā€™ll be two boxes I didnā€™t check. My sticker was 64,435
Sponsored