El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
2020 Rubi 3.6 AT, 38k miles.

Came out this morning. Jeep unlocked, all seemed normal but then just clicked when I tried to start. Lights, Radio and AC fan all working but no start.

did a normal connection Jumpstart off my other car and it fired off instantly with no issues. I moved my Jeep and drove the other car to town.

question: if my aux battery is bad would it jump start immediately? All the information seems to say contradictory. Is it my primary battery that died?
Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect that is the primary. When you "jump started" - it essentially put some charge into main but the cranking actually happened through the juice in AUX and not from the jumper cable? 🤔

there are better experts here who can confirm the above.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Came out this morning. Jeep unlocked, all seemed normal but then just clicked when I tried to start. Lights, Radio and AC fan all working but no start.

did a normal connection Jumpstart off my other car and it fired off instantly with no issues. I moved my Jeep and drove the other car to town.

question: if my aux battery is bad would it jump start immediately? All the information seems to say contradictory. Is it my primary battery that died?
Isolate the batteries and check voltage. Trying to guess here is about as easy as trying to give you a haircut over the phone.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This is a situation where it's best to not go cheap and replace both Main and Aux at the same time.

The two batteries are linked so even if one is still technically "good", the bad battery is currently overstressing the still good one. If you only replace the bad battery, the other battery will never have a lifespan as long as the new battery. You're just setting yourself up to eventually have the battery you didn't replace to go bad and overstress the battery you did replace, reducing its lifespan.

You'll end up buying fewer batteries over time if you always replace both at the same time, regardless of whether one still tests "good". If one is bad, the other is compromised. Replace both.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

Both of your batteries were low on charge, because they are wired in parallel they discharge and charge together. You caught them before they discharged too far, so it was easy to jumpstart.

At this point you don't know if either battery is bad, they may have been gradually loosing their charge over time from a lack of driving. Charge them up and if you are concerned about their condition get them load tested.

Sponsored

OP
OP
El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
I drive this Jeep daily. Never just sitting around for the battery to drain. 26months old, 38k miles. Why would the batteries die?

also, my gauge says 13.7-13.8 battery voltage. I could swear it use to be 14+. Thoughts?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I drive this Jeep daily. Never just sitting around for the battery to drain. 26months old, 38k miles. Why would the batteries die?
Do you have anything non-factory wired up like a winch or anything, and do you have a Tazer or other programmer? I doubt the lights in your signature would cause anything if they're wired up to the aux switches and/or fully off on another switch.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

also, my gauge says 13.7-13.8 battery voltage. I could swear it use to be 14+. Thoughts?
The problem is that every moment it is not being driven something is slowly draining the batteries. The JL (and all other modern vehicles, not just Jeep) are never completely off. This is really rough on AGM batteries and it's why batteries no longer last 5-7 years like they used to. 2-3 years is the average in a modern vehicle.

OP
OP
El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
Do you have anything non-factory wired up like a winch or anything, and do you have a Tazer or other programmer? I doubt the lights in your signature would cause anything if they're wired up to the aux switches and/or fully off on another switch.
yes I have a Tazer installed. A winch but it’s off. Lights are all through the aux switches.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
yes I have a Tazer installed. A winch but it’s off. Lights are all through the aux switches.
@El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

Do you have the feature "In Motion Nav", Tazer JL feature enabled? If so, that is one thing that could possibly have caused your depleted battery(2) issue.... but undoubtedly it was other reasons.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
The Tazer can definitely drain your battery if you have stuff like the permanently disable auto start/stop feature turned on, but mine hasn’t killed i unless I leave it for over a week.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The Tazer can definitely drain your battery if you have stuff like the permanently disable auto start/stop feature turned on, but mine hasn’t killed i unless I leave it for over a week.
@jessedacri

I disagree with what you are saying in regard to the Tazer JL and the "start/stop feature". That feature can be enabled full-time and there is no negative impact on the battery(s).
Sponsored