Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

This thought process started with me realizing that I don't have good jack points for my hi-lift jack on my Rubicon XR with factory steel bumpers and rock rails. It quickly turned to reading a variety of threads where while some are pro hi-lift jack as a recovery tool, but surprised that many MANY are against it as a safety hazard. So after reading multiple articles and countless posts, what I am not clear on is what the recommended way to change a tire on the trail? Do the experienced folks lean towards a repair instead of a tire change as their plan A? Is there some kind of bottle jack that is preferable to a hi-lift? I know I need to purchase some new gear, but not sure if I need a soft shackle or other hi-lift jack accessories to create safer jack points or go in another direction entirely. I've thought I was pretty well prepared, only to find that after thinking through the scenario in detail that I'm not nearly as prepared as I thought I was for a flat tire while wheeling. Thanks all for the input.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've had two trail swaps, both were sidewall tears and would be extremely difficult/impossible plugs.

You got the XR jack spacer, right? That should do ya. You could upgrade the scissor if you want.

I'm in the never a high lift camp. Only tried one once and it failed and damaged the Jeep and could have hurt someone. You have to get the jeep sky high to overcome suspension droop.

You'd need a low profile/high stroke bottle to work for an axle lift from flat tire to inflated.

What I have that I very much recommend is this: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2555-20

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi-lift looks cool bolted to a Jeep but can be a clunky death trap when actually using it. With how much a Jeep suspension can flex (especially if the sway bar is disconnected), you have to lift a Jeep pretty high with a hi-lift to get the tire off the ground. We use a bottle jack to lift on the axle for tire changes on the trail. That way you only have to lift the axle 1/4" to get the wheel off.

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Bott...ocphy=9032173&hvtargid=pla-628482448707&psc=1

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
I've used a hi-lift on the bumpers or rock sliders to change a tire. It sucks especially if your jeep is really flexy.

I carry one of these now, it's a bit bulky to store in the Jeep, but a safer alternative. Plus the big flat base is a plus in mud/sand/snow so your jack doesnt sink into the ground as easily. You use it to jack under your axle, works for my 37s perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing Tire on the Trail??? 1684424737997

Last edited:

Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
If you use a hi lift you can always use a ratchet strap from frame to axle to help with the flex so you don’t have to lift the Jeep as high.
Hi lifts have their uses. But I always try to use the scissor jack with a tall base for it to sit on if I can. I bought the AEV base and the rubber strap that holds in under the dash in the passenger footwell. No one has complained about it taking up space when they’ve rode with me.

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Willys Xtreme Recon, 2006 Jeep Comdr 4X4
My XR jacked up, need 24" floor jack:
Jeep Wrangler JL Changing Tire on the Trail??? 1684427305679

OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I've had two trail swaps, both were sidewall tears and would be extremely difficult/impossible plugs.

You got the XR jack spacer, right? That should do ya. You could upgrade the scissor if you want.

I'm in the never a high lift camp. Only tried one once and it failed and damaged the Jeep and could have hurt someone. You have to get the jeep sky high to overcome suspension droop.

You'd need a low profile/high stroke bottle to work for an axle lift from flat tire to inflated.

What I have that I very much recommend is this: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2555-20
Any recommendations on a scissor upgrade? I do have the spacer with the jack, so perhaps I don't need an upgrade.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
OP
OP
bthomp

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Hi-lift looks cool bolted to a Jeep but can be a clunky death trap when actually using it. With how much a Jeep suspension can flex (especially if the sway bar is disconnected), you have to lift a Jeep pretty high with a hi-lift to get the tire off the ground. We use a bottle jack to lift on the axle for tire changes on the trail. That way you only have to lift the axle 1/4" to get the wheel off.

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Bott...ocphy=9032173&hvtargid=pla-628482448707&psc=1
Thx Kah, good info.

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Factory Jack with XR spacer was plenty for my rig on 3.5” MC lift (doesn’t really make a difference) and 37” tires. Just lift from the axle.

Edit: Do use your head. I had the rear tire off and close by before removing the flat. Keep all your body parts out of harms way. Remove the tire and place under the frame near the Jack to catch the vehicle if something goes wrong. Zip the new tire on. It’s not the safest thing I’ve done (still better than a hi-lift IMO), but if you use your head you can keep all your appendages.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing Tire on the Trail??? 516BFB72-3273-4401-B5CB-8B4267772235

Last edited:

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I bought a Safejacks "General" bottle jack for the trail. Can't lie, i love the ammo can it comes in. I used a hi-lift on the trail once to take off a cracked wheel, I was worried the whole time but it worked just fine. Now I prefer less worry about hurting myself...

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
There are plenty of haters of the ARB hydraulic jack, but I have one and love it. It's not cheap, but it's compact, lightweight and easier and safer to use than a hi-lift. Gets my XR off the ground with room to spare. Some say it doesn't work well in the cold, but I don't wheel in the winter, so I don't know about that. Yeah, you have to step on the jack pad to get it to retract, but all of that is a small trade off for how easy and safe it is to use, at least in my experience.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'll speak from the pro hi-lift side. It's what I use out on the trail due to its versatility. It's far more than just a jack. That said, if I need a jack in my garage It's always a floor jack. It's a better safer jack, but it's nothing more than that so i dont want it on the trail.

You're seeing why people tell others not to use a hi-lift. I'll always recommend hi-lifts as a tool. Theyre amazingly useful. I don't recommend most people as users of the tool. You must have strong mechanical common sense and the mechanical creativity to use it for more than just a jack. Not everyone has that. Probably 80% of the people I know fall into that category. If you dont have that a hi-lift can punish you. Youre literally creating and dealing with forces beyond your understanding. Why assume that risk if you don't fully see the risk and youll never think to use it for all the other things it can do besides jack up a tire. Get a safer but far less versatile bottle jack.

There is more to using a hi-lift than just having one. You must think it through, which you've done. You must have hi-lift jack points on the Jeep. You must have the accessories to use it as a winch, a spreader, a compressor, an anchor, etc. Since you've already started down this path of thinking things through I think you can keep going and understand the hi-lift. Its uses, procedures, versatility and risks.

But if all you're seeing is a jack, get a bottle jack. It's a better and safer jack, and not much more than that.

As for changing tires, I always just use the spare and deal with bad tire back home. If I get two flat tires (which hasn't happened yet) I'll at least have a choice of which one is the most likely to be repairable and focus my tire repair kit on that one. I will not waste my tire repair kit on the first tire that goes bad unless I have a 2nd bad tire that's even worse.

Last edited:

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I either use a Hi-Lift, with a lifting accessory that can be used on the receiver hitch or a strap on a shackle, and a ground pad. If the angle is too great I'll use a bottle jack with a ground pad under the jeep.

I'd rather patch than change a tire if the patch will work.
Sponsored