Sponsored

Centering the steering wheel?

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
I have a 21 Sport and the steering wheel seems to not be centered, about 5 deg. off to the right as you face it. It's been in to the dealer twice and they've performed an alignment which did fix a slight out of spec. issue on a front wheel. As part of the alignment process the wheels are centered but the steering wheel still appears to not be centered to me when driving on a level, straight road. Thinking I'm going to have a take a drive with the advisor to actually show them what I'm talking about. They've covered both alignments under warranty so far. Any recommendations? How hard is it to center the wheel other than the standard alignment? I've read about a drag link adjustment. Is that the next step?

Appreciate any input...I'm headed back in a few weeks for an oil change and I'd like to get this resolved at that appointment.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 21 Sport and the steering wheel seems to not be centered, about 5 deg. off to the right as you face it. It's been in to the dealer twice and they've performed an alignment which did fix a slight out of spec. issue on a front wheel. As part of the alignment process the wheels are centered but the steering wheel still appears to not be centered to me when driving on a level, straight road. Thinking I'm going to have a take a drive with the advisor to actually show them what I'm talking about. They've covered both alignments under warranty so far. Any recommendations? How hard is it to center the wheel other than the standard alignment? I've read about a drag link adjustment. Is that the next step?

Appreciate any input...I'm headed back in a few weeks for an oil change and I'd like to get this resolved at that appointment.
Loosen 15 mm bolt on drag link next to adjustment collar, turn it to center steering wheel then tighten bolt…… not positive on 15mm bolt size …….

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It’s not hard at all. You just increase/decrease the length of your drag link until both the wheels and steering wheel are perfectly straight.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

Proper torque is 34 ft-lbs when tightening back down.

OP
OP

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the replies! Will check out the video later tonight.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the process is a bit of trial and error. Adjust, take it for a drive, re-adjust as required. Appears that turning the collar counterclockwise when looking from the drivers side should move a wheel that's off-set to the right (clockwise) back towards center?

Proper torque is 34 ft-lbs when tightening back down.
Thanks - where did you find the torque spec.?

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Looks like the process is a bit of trial and error. Adjust, take it for a drive, re-adjust as required. Appears that turning the collar counterclockwise when looking from the drivers side should move a wheel that's off-set to the right (clockwise) back towards center?

Thanks - where did you find the torque spec.?

I honestly don't remember which way I turned the collar to move the wheel left. I think I turned counter clockwise. The specs are listed on here. There's a thread with all the torque settings.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/torque-values-for-jeep-jl-wrangler.17791/post-518102

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just went through this process last week after installing a new drag link. It does take a little trial and error. By nature, the link style steering that comes on the jeep just has more play than a rack and pinion style steering would. (Rack and pinion is what you'd find on most vehicles now) Because of that play, it can be difficult to center the wheel in one shot while the vehicle is sitting still on an alignment rack.

Most shops and dealerships just aren't willing to take the time to really set it correctly. Which is a bummer, but is somewhat understandable at the same time.

The adjustments needed are small. If you do it yourself, just be sure to take your time and torque things correctly afterword. It's a useful skill to have in your back pocket, and doesn't take many special tools. It just takes a little time and I found that it's time well spent.

OP
OP

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just went through this process last week after installing a new drag link. It does take a little trial and error. By nature, the link style steering that comes on the jeep just has more play than a rack and pinion style steering would. (Rack and pinion is what you'd find on most vehicles now) Because of that play, it can be difficult to center the wheel in one shot while the vehicle is sitting still on an alignment rack.

Most shops and dealerships just aren't willing to take the time to really set it correctly. Which is a bummer, but is somewhat understandable at the same time.

The adjustments needed are small. If you do it yourself, just be sure to take your time and torque things correctly afterword. It's a useful skill to have in your back pocket, and doesn't take many special tools. It just takes a little time and I found that it's time well spent.
Very helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored