John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
mine fell off in my hand, I will try the fix, thanks for posting the fix.
Sponsored

slamr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB, Harley SE Street Glide
Iā€™m in! Just over 1000/mi and mine broke this morning. On the driver side thereā€™s a small rubbery piece of material that looks like itā€™s glued in place. It looks like itā€™s there to keep the rod from moving to the driver side. The rod slip behind the rubber material and popped out. I just re-inserted the rod and spring, inserted some filler behind the rubber material and everything appears to be fine now. I think the cover that goes over this area is supposed to hold everything tight. However mine was not installed properly and there was a space between the cover and the area over this rubber material so maybe thatā€™s why it allowed the rod to fall out. Grateful for all the form information to get this fixed so quickly on my own. Thank you. :jk:

signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
20190219_174402.jpg
I just had my rubicon delivered last week..built in jan......i seen this thread, so i checked mine , which i did not have an issue with yet....looks like they fixed the issue....added a square of foam at one end and a black end washer at the other....

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Just saw this thread linked from another. I was at about 2 months old and 2200 miles when mine broke. I was going to try to wait for the first oil change before going in for repairs.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Gotta love these JL boards!

Since initially posting about mine, I have not heard back from my service dept. about getting the part in. I just happened upon this thread again a few minutes ago. I decided to take a closer look and removed the plastic cover.

I pushed one leg of the spring back into place and applied super glue to the splined end of the metal pin and pushed the say back into place. It's holding and working for now.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Gotta love these JL boards!

Since initially posting about mine, I have not heard back from my service dept. about getting the part in. I just happened upon this thread again a few minutes ago. I decided to take a closer look and removed the plastic cover.

I pushed one leg of the spring back into place and applied super glue to the splined end of the metal pin and pushed the say back into place. It's holding and working for now.
I went to the dealer, they said they ordered a whole new lid. I have not heard back from them. I just pulled the cover and put on a drop of super glue also.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Lol . . . After having taken a closer look at it, youā€™d think that the dealer could fixed it.

Moving forward, Iā€™m going to track down a retaining washer and/or find something to prevent the splined end from potentially backing out.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Lol . . . After having taken a closer look at it, youā€™d think that the dealer could fixed it.

Moving forward, Iā€™m going to track down a retaining washer and/or find something to prevent the splined end from potentially backing out.
The super glue I used is permanent. I was at an outdoor show one time and this guy was selling this crazy strong glue that was instant with an activator. I have had this stuff for a couple years now and everything that I have glued together has stayed together. Plastic, steel, rubber, you name. Spray activator on one side and put glue on the other side and press together for about 10 seconds, and it is NOT coming apart.

Even slash a sidewall on a tire....spray activator on one side, put glue on the other... Good to go.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Got a couple of questions regarding this..

I popped the cover off and looked over, my JL's latch mechanism. The rod seems to be in place very very tightly.

The right side (guess you are calling it the serrated end) is jammed / pressed fit tightly

The rod, at least in my ..... seems like in no way, would it be able to come loose / work it's way loose.

As an ounce of prevention so to speak, I just placed a good size drop of Gorilla glue on the left side, right on the shaft tip that protrudes... there is not much protruding. Th drop saturated into the hole that the rid pushes through and also stayed on the shaft sticking out.

It seems to me that all one would need to do is place a drop of Gorilla Glue or Crazy Glue on the left protruding tip as I just dud and then, no more worries as then the rod cannot / will not be able to work it's way to the right...

No this will not help if the spring chitts the bed. Yes, I will not mention or admit to the dealership I used a drop of Crazy Glue if I should ever need the thing fixed.

Am I missing something... is my logic flawed?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Got a couple of questions regarding this..

I popped the cover off and looked over, my JL's latch mechanism. The rod seems to be in place very very tightly.

The right side (guess you are calling it the serrated end) is jammed / pressed fit tightly

The rod, at least in my ..... seems like in no way, would it be able to come loose / work it's way loose.

As an ounce of prevention so to speak, I just placed a good size drop of Gorilla glue on the left side, right on the shaft tip that protrudes... there is not much protruding. Th drop saturated into the hole that the rid pushes through and also stayed on the shaft sticking out.

It seems to me that all one would need to do is place a drop of Gorilla Glue or Crazy Glue on the left protruding tip as I just dud and then, no more worries as then the rod cannot / will not be able to work it's way to the right...

No this will not help if the spring chitts the bed. Yes, I will not mention or admit to the dealership I used a drop of Crazy Glue if I should ever need the thing fixed.

Am I missing something... is my logic flawed?

You should be good to go.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to me yesterday you can fix it yourself , pop off the little inspection cover on the bottom and thereā€™s a silver rod that slides right back in place. It looks like it might be missing a clip on one end but itā€™s pretty easy to put back together. Iā€™m going to try to make a permanent fix myself.
same to me today. was a hassle, but can fix yourself. I was even able to do it without taking off the access panel with a small glasses flathead screwdriver.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
20190219_174402.jpg
I just had my rubicon delivered last week..built in jan......i seen this thread, so i checked mine , which i did not have an issue with yet....looks like they fixed the issue....added a square of foam at one end and a black end washer at the other....
Thanks, this helped a lot. Mine came loose within the first month. I happened to have some foam handy to fix myself. No black washers though. I think the foam alone will keep the pin in place. Time will tell.

IMG_6609.JPG

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
same to me today. was a hassle, but can fix yourself. I was even able to do it without taking off the access panel with a small glasses flathead screwdriver.
The plastic cover piece is designed to pop in and out, no big deal. Based on the post all you've done is slide the pin and its going to come out again.

CO_Mojito

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Turbo Mojito
Occupation
IT Enterprise Systems Architect
Vehicle Showcase
mine popped out like the third week i owned it. took 15 minutes to remove the panel and pop it back into place. i had pulled up to hard which caused the issue, but its been fine since.

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
I lost the spring. It flew off somewhere in the cab and iā€™m guessing went down the defroster vents. Does anyone have a part number i can order? Rather not lose a day to the dealership for this.
Sponsored