MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It changes the angle of your steering knuckle in relation to the ground, which changes how easy or hard it is for your steering wheel inputs (and inputs from the road) to move the tires left and right. Not enough caster will allow them to turn super easily, giving it a flighty feel and allowing bumps to shift your tires easier.
Sponsored

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Sting Gray
Yes, that is likely the cause of your wandering. Need to shorten up the uppers or lengthen the lower control arms. (Or combo of both)
I called the shop that installed my lift and they said they set caster to 4.5 on JLs. They said the springs will be bowing at 5.5 or 6.0. Any reason why they think this? It’s a very reputable shop that does tons of JKs, JLs, and JTs.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I called the shop that installed my lift and they said they set caster to 4.5 on JLs. They said the springs will be bowing at 5.5 or 6.0. Any reason why they think this? It’s a very reputable shop that does tons of JKs, JLs, and JTs.
They’re crazy. If all us shade tree home mechanics can figure it out I’m not sure what they bring to the table. I’m using the front rock krawler spring correction pads on mine. (Rest is Metalcloak) No bowing

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Running mopar lift with adjustable lowers and I’m at 6.5 one side and 6.8 on the other. No bowing for me, but I am also running the rock krawler spring pads on the front.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
How does it drive better with more caster? What improves?? Vibrations? Shaking? Wandering?

after I installed the lift kit with 37 mien startedshaking bad when Ihit a bump ... then I had the shop set my caster higher at 6.3-6.4 and take the metal cloak steering relocation bracket as it lookedkind off flimsy...

many ride is wayyy better .. but I don’t know if it’s the caster or the Going back to stock steering stabilizer location

With caster set to 6.7L / 6.9R on my Rubi 2-door I have no vibrations or shaking and no wandering...However I have done a lot to the suspension to improve overall handling: Started with Mopar 2" lift, replaced all 8 control arms with adjustable Teraflex IR arms, (Did this to maintain OEM placement / geometry of axles after lift) replaced OEM track bar, drag link and tie rod with Steer Smarts-huge improvement, replaced OEM stabilizer with Fox 2.0 TS using Synergy track bar bolt / stud mount, added Teraflex rear track bar relocation bracket and replaced OEM rear track bar with adjustable Rancho, added a Rancho front track bar / frame support bracket-peace of mind with larger tires & wheels when wheeling hard, running 35" KO2's set to 32psi on 17"x8.5" wheels with 5.2" backspace. Overall, even on the highway it handles better than my buddies stock Rubi 4-door!

Sponsored

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that is likely the cause of your wandering. Need to shorten up the uppers or lengthen the lower control arms. (Or combo of both)
Lift manufacturer recommended adjusting caster from the upper arms. Opinions?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Since you asked for an opinion...... imho, technically it’s supposed to be the way to do it, but I don’t like the way the wheel looks in the wheel well if you just pull top arms in. When I install a lift I use both upper and lowers to set caster and keep the wheel centered as much as possible. Here’s an example. This is MC lift with adjustable upper and fixed lowers, caster set at 6 +/-. Now some will say that looks fine , I don’t care, but I don’t have that luxury with my ocd......:(..................:)

Jeep Wrangler JL CASTER 6 or 5.5??? D0AB7B8F-C624-4AB5-B315-441564D38412

StingJLUR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you asked for an opinion...... imho, technically it’s supposed to be the way to do it, but I don’t like the way the wheel looks in the wheel well if you just pull top arms in. When I install a lift I use both upper and lowers to set caster and keep the wheel centered as much as possible. Here’s an example. This is MC lift with adjustable upper and fixed lowers, caster set at 6 +/-. Now some will say that looks fine , I don’t care, but I don’t have that luxury with my ocd......:(..................:)

Jeep Wrangler JL CASTER 6 or 5.5??? D0AB7B8F-C624-4AB5-B315-441564D38412
I definitely have the OCD. Haha. But that doesn't look bad. Here is what mine looks like currently at 4.5 caster.

Jeep Wrangler JL CASTER 6 or 5.5??? Jeep Lifted

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely have the OCD. Haha. But that doesn't look bad. Here is what mine looks like currently at 4.5 caster.

Jeep Lifted.jpeg
Yep that’s where I like to see the wheel at 6 plus caster. I’d say try it. and if you don’t like it you can always fix it.....nice rig!

here’s 6.4 caster on mine.....

Jeep Wrangler JL CASTER 6 or 5.5??? 425C15FC-80A1-44E0-89BF-AA53580106E2

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Roky. I adjust both but it can be set either way.

The benefit to adjusting both is centering the wheel at ride height. Downside is once you lengthen it, at full compression your axle will extend further forward than it would otherwise and bumpstops/spring perch dont line up as well (at stuff)

I haven’t found that to be a problem on my setup and the bumpstops are still connecting well enough.

Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Lifted.jpeg
sick rig man!
I am currently achieving an upper 6 caster via adjustable lower control arms. Not probably ideal..but haven't put out the money for uppers yet.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I took my caster from 5 to 6.5 and it took care of the wandering. Now I have a pretty hard pull to the left. I spun both uppers the same number of turns. I had my alignment checked before and after. The caster is where I want it but now my thrust angle is off? Assuming that's what is causing the pull. Why would adding caster cause that?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I took my caster from 5 to 6.5 and it took care of the wandering. Now I have a pretty hard pull to the left. I spun both uppers the same number of turns. I had my alignment checked before and after. The caster is where I want it but now my thrust angle is off? Assuming that's what is causing the pull. Why would adding caster cause that?
I want others more knowledgeable than me to weigh in but have read to leave passenger side a little less. Let’s say 6.5 drivers and 6.4 passenger. Seems to assist road crown differences.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I want others more knowledgeable than me to weigh in but have read to leave passenger side a little less. Let’s say 6.5 drivers and 6.4 passenger. Seems to assist road crown differences.
This pull is opposite of the road crown. After the adjustment the thrust angle is out. The only thing I can think of is maybe my track bar is binding and pulling the axle?
Sponsored