CarPlay Issue

schulah

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Definitely try the USB-C port on the dash. That is your best chance at success. While using an Apple cable is best, if you don't have one direct from them, just get a decent one from Amazon. You don't have to spend a ton, but don't get the absolute cheapest cable either.

Also (and I'm not a paid endorser) look into wireless carplay dongles. I run one in the console and I don't have to bother plugging in my phone each time. I keep a USB-C to Lightning cable as well for long trips where I want to charge my phone, but otherwise, I use the wireless method daily.
Interesting…I had no idea wireless CarPlay dongles existed! If you don’t mind me asking, which one do you use?
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

My Jeep is less than a month old and has had this exact same issue since day one. Ports on the dash work, but the port in the center console causes CarPlay to freeze and/or crash shortly into phone calls, and occasionally with GPS or AppleMusic usage.

Haven't had time to get it to a dealer yet, but this definitely stings coming from a perfectly good Toyota with zero issues... Thought I would at least make it through the warranty period before I had to chalk it up to, "it's a jeep thing."

OP
OP
V8Venom

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is less than a month old and has had this exact same issue since day one. Ports on the dash work, but the port in the center console causes CarPlay to freeze and/or crash shortly into phone calls, and occasionally with GPS or AppleMusic usage.

Haven't had time to get it to a dealer yet, but this definitely stings coming from a perfectly good Toyota with zero issues... Thought I would at least make it through the warranty period before I had to chalk it up to, "it's a jeep thing."
I had this issue on my 18 JL and they never figured it out. It’s worse on this one though. They need wireless car play already. Have used other vehicles with it and it’s a game changer.

Jaydonoghue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I had this issue on my 18 JL and they never figured it out. It’s worse on this one though. They need wireless car play already. Have used other vehicles with it and it’s a game changer.
That's exactly what I keep hearing, but I refuse to let this go. These things have gotten way too expensive to have unfixable gremlins from the factory. I just don't know when I am going to actually have time to get to the dealer.

Worst case scenario, I rip the dash apart and start replacing stuff on my own. I would rather avoid that, though...

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Must be hit or miss. This setup does not work for me - screen freezes but continues to play music. Repeatable every time I try to use the center console plug.
I noticed my spotify screen will freeze once in a while, but if I swap to another app and back it's fine and doesn't happen again for a couple of weeks. Nothing that I can recreate though.

OP
OP
V8Venom

V8Venom

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Waste Management
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly what I keep hearing, but I refuse to let this go. These things have gotten way too expensive to have unfixable gremlins from the factory. I just don't know when I am going to actually have time to get to the dealer.

Worst case scenario, I rip the dash apart and start replacing stuff on my own. I would rather avoid that, though...
I agree 100%. This should not even be an issue, but getting the dealer to recognize it without a TSB or recall is the challenge.

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
Interesting…I had no idea wireless CarPlay dongles existed! If you don’t mind me asking, which one do you use?
I have this one, but most use the same stuff/software/firmware. Just get one that says 3.0 for best results. Make sure to always look for and clip the coupon. I think right now it's like $30. If your experience is anything like mine, you will also want a different USB-A to USB-C cable. The included cable would cut out after a few minutes, then periodically after that. The new one has been flawless.

Amazon.com: Carlinkit3.0 Mini Wireless CarPlay Adapter,for Factory Wired Car Play Cars,for Audi,VW,Volvo,Citroen,Renault,Ford,Toyota,Kia Auto,USB Mini 5G Adapter converting Wired CarPlay to Wireless CarPlay : Electronics

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
CPlay2Air and Carlinkit 3.0. I had the Cplay2Air in my Jeep for 2 years then it went into my wife's Honda back in October. I bought the Carlinkit for the Jeep and been using it since. I noticed they are down to around $50 now. Both obtain software updates from the same IP address. No major issues though if I do a few quick starts and stops without it fully connecting, I sometimes have to unplug/plug-in the device to work properly. I just keep it on the usb port under the arm rest.

Schmoupe

First Name
Shak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
CPlay2Air and Carlinkit 3.0. I had the Cplay2Air in my Jeep for 2 years then it went into my wife's Honda back in October. I bought the Carlinkit for the Jeep and been using it since. I noticed they are down to around $50 now. Both obtain software updates from the same IP address. No major issues though if I do a few quick starts and stops without it fully connecting, I sometimes have to unplug/plug-in the device to work properly. I just keep it on the usb port under the arm rest.
can you link where to get it

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Does anyone with CarPlay issues (from the center console) have a 2 door? I am wondering if this issue is happening only in 4 door models because the cable goes from the radio to the rear USB hub to the center console, and it loses power along the way.

Deleted member 76939

Does anyone with CarPlay issues (from the center console) have a 2 door? I am wondering if this issue is happening only in 4 door models because the cable goes from the radio to the rear USB hub to the center console, and it loses power along the way.
I'm experiencing a disconnect from my iPhone when using the USB in the center console. I switched it today to the USB in the dash and had no disconnect issues. I have a '21 JL 2dr. I only experienced the issue when switching from the dash USB to the one in the console. Same cable, same phone. I've had no issues with this type of connection when using my phone in my other vehicle. Not sure what my final solution will be yet since this just started happening.