CarPlay 100% Useless With iOS 15

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I dunno how one could make sirius xm sound worse lol. Sorry to hear about the bugs, though!
I was thinking the exact same thing!!
Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
My wife upgraded to an Iphone 13pro last weekend. She has the 8.4 radio in her 4xe. Spotify streaming has sounded great. The only issue we've noticed thus far is with Google Maps. We used it to get to one destination. Then leaving we searched and found a new destination. When we click the 'Start' navigation button it sends us back to our original destination. I had to completely close out of Google Maps and reopen in order to get it to navigate to the new destination.

Meanwhile, no issues with Android Auto on my GS20. 😁 Sorry, had to.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Anyone else having this issue? Upgraded from an 11 Pro Max (on iOS 14.something) to a 13 Pro Max and ever since CarPlay has been completely useless. Sound quality wasn't great before, but now I can't even stand to listen to it. It sounds like using one of those old cassette-deck adapters and the volume constantly surges up and down. And when I'm listening to SXM with CarPlay connected it somehow still manages to degrade the sound quality of that audio. Google Maps constantly freezes, I'll be driving along for miles and my position on the map never changes. The phone itself constantly disconnects so I have to unplug it and plug it back in over and over. Updated to 15.0.2 with no changes. Tried all the ports and multiple cables with no changes.
I think the title of the thread should be changed to "iOS 15 100% Useless With CarPlay"

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

13 pro max, ios 15, 8.4" screen... no issues to report. Sorry that's the case.

In case you haven't already, you might try a full power down and power up on your phone. If it's really messing with you, you could try a factory reset on the phone, and then update to see if that fixes it.

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander, 21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
I too am having issues with CarPlay in my 8.4. I was getting frustrated with uconnect and jeep . I rented a Nissan today and experience the exact same issues. Clearly an Apple issue

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
iPhone 13, version 15.0.2 checking in.

No CarPlay issues in any of my vehicles, including 8.4 UConnect.

I do have a weird audio glitch with Pandora, but it’s the Pandora app that’s affected, nothing else. (Audio is sometimes missing entirely)

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
May or may not be the issue, but I've had a lot of what's described here when connected with CarPlay via a standard USB-A cable. When I switched to a nice high-quality cable, and a USB-C one at that, all of these CarPlay issues disappeared for me.

For reference, this Anker USB C to Lightning Cable (6ft) has served me well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H256MBK/

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Been running all the iOS 15 betas, including latest 15.1. No issues at all with CarPlay and any version of iOS 15 here.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Iphone 8 and ios 15.0.2. Works fine.

G.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
iPhone 11 running iOS 15.0.2, constant issues with Waze and freezing on the 8.4. Wife has the same issue with her iPhone 13 running same iOS in her VW. Clearly an Apple issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zw470

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
May or may not be the issue, but I've had a lot of what's described here when connected with CarPlay via a standard USB-A cable. When I switched to a nice high-quality cable, and a USB-C one at that, all of these CarPlay issues disappeared for me.

For reference, this Anker USB C to Lightning Cable (6ft) has served me well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H256MBK/
I've tried Anker, Aukey and Apple cables in all the available ports, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Hopefully iOS 15.1 fixes it :fingerscrossed:

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
13PM, 15.1 beta, no issues
Try a new cable
Just throwing out some possibilities here...

If he's tried a new cable, there are some other suspects left, and they're unfortunate. Either the car itself (the wiring behind the USB ports up to and including the Uconnect radio), or his particular iPhone has an issue with it.

Again, if the cable has already been tried (solved my issue), see if you can borrow someone else's phone (same make/model) and see if that phone also has an issue, or the problem goes away. Either answer would help better illuminate the problem.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Try new cable
Try an iPhone that still has iOS 14
Try an android device
Try rebooting the phone
Try a different iPhone with iOS 15

I know some of these if not all have been suggested. Just trying to put them in one list Incase you missed one.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I have noticed a few issues since going to iOS 15. I do not hear the sound it used to make when waiting on a response from siri. Receiving phone calls with carplay is a mixed bag, never know if it going the the radio, phone, or speaker phone. I have has a few issues with spotify.
Sponsored