iOS 12 and CarPlay

Threxx

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR HT 3.6AT
I wonder what the architecture of CarPlay is. Will the vehicle's infotainment system require updates as Carplay is updated, or did they intentionally design it to be as basic as possible and simply be an interface for "whatever the phone tells me to do, I'll do it"? If it's literally just a screen mirror... like the phone treating the display as an external monitor, then that'd be pretty ideal.

Siri does work unplugged (Bluetooth) but CarPlay does not for the JL
Right... has too much latency (lag) and not enough bandwidth to support a graphic UI like carplay.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I wonder what the architecture of CarPlay is. Will the vehicle's infotainment system require updates as Carplay is updated, or did they intentionally design it to be as basic as possible and simply be an interface for "whatever the phone tells me to do, I'll do it"? If it's literally just a screen mirror... like the phone treating the display as an external monitor, then that'd be pretty ideal.

Right... has too much latency (lag) and not enough bandwidth to support a graphic UI like carplay.
I would be interested as well. It’s my understanding that the phone dictates the infotainment system, that’s why it’s difficult to implement wireless CarPlay. Wireless CarPlay is possible but requires Wifi I think Porsche has a few models.