iOS 12 and CarPlay

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Great news! At WWDC Apple announced that 3rd party apps (Waze, Google Maps, etc.) will be coming to CarPlay on iOS 12!

Woo!
You beat me to it! Now I'm really glad that I had the dealer fix the order for the larger UConnect screen.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I believe Google Maps uses a lot more data than Apple Maps so if you are on a limited plan this may be an issue

CuylerTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Bright White 3.6L 8 Speed
Just updated to IOS 12 and its not working yet. I assume within the first couple beta releases it'll be implemented for beta users.

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
I wonder if the Apps themselves will need to be updated to support Apple's official method of allowing them to work via CarPlay in iOS 12?

Very welcome news!

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
This is awesome. I usually stay on top of Apple news but ........grad school

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Just updated to IOS 12 and its not working yet. I assume within the first couple beta releases it'll be implemented for beta users.
I have a feeling that Google Maps and Waze will have to update their apps because it derives from the iPhone? I’m not sure but excited to see what CarPlay will become!

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I suppose it depends heavily on where you're located but Apple Maps gets a really bad rep. I find it to be great for me and in my area. Now not only will my wife listen to me say I don't know if I like Uconnect or apple maps better now I will have even more options! lol

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I suppose it depends heavily on where you're located but Apple Maps gets a really bad rep. I find it to be great for me and in my area. Now not only will my wife listen to me say I don't know if I like Uconnect or apple maps better now I will have even more options! lol
^This. Apple Maps has come a long way. I like that it learns my commuting pattern, so when I plug in CarPlay it estimates ETA for "Work" or "Home."

Don't get me wrong, I think Waze is great. It's not so much better that I want to run Beta 1 iOS to get it, though...

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
^This. Apple Maps has come a long way. I like that it learns my commuting pattern, so when I plug in CarPlay it estimates ETA for "Work" or "Home."

Don't get me wrong, I think Waze is great. It's not so much better that I want to run Beta 1 iOS to get it, though...
I agree. Apple CarPlay is amazing on the 8.4 screen and has a lot of neat options. I wish they incorporated the navigation into the dash screen like the regular Jeep navigation has it.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
the problem with apple maps is that it's algorithm for finding the quickest route is terrible. it'll take you from a to b, but it wont guide you around traffic or anything.

Dang. You've got access to the developer beta?
Anyone should have access to the beta regardless if you're a dev or not. A quick google search and you can find the developer preview profile which you can download on safari, it'll then give you an ota update.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Does anybody know of Siri Eyes Free works with Uconnect? I know some older cars had Siri Eyes Free (no phone plugged in, just push steering wheel button to engage Siri), but some cars don’t allow that option with Carplay. They require the phone to be plugged in to use Siri.
Does Uconnect allow you to use Siri wether it’s plugged in or not?

OP
OP
mquinn13

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Does anybody know of Siri Eyes Free works with Uconnect? I know some older cars had Siri Eyes Free (no phone plugged in, just push steering wheel button to engage Siri), but some cars don’t allow that option with Carplay. They require the phone to be plugged in to use Siri.
Does Uconnect allow you to use Siri wether it’s plugged in or not?
Siri does work unplugged (Bluetooth) but CarPlay does not for the JL

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Would be nice if I could use Motion-X GPS
Sponsored