Sponsored

Cancelled upgrades

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The type of pricing reaction you're looking from Jeep is that of one having to deal with a market disruptor and the Bronco has already proven that it is not that (although commercial voiceovers will make you think it is).

If the Bronco was to disrupt the off-road world, it would have had to price far below Jeep or bring about a completely new technology that Jeep couldn't match - both of which it doesn't. Bronco's introduction is evolutionary and yes, while it will cut into some Jeep sales, the market as a whole will most likely grow quite a bit. We saw this with the mid-size truck segment.

Everyone keeps thinking that competition is a one way street on price when it's not. Depending on how much the market grows, if the demand curve steepens enough for both entities, prices will actually go up - just look at pickup trucks in general.

IMO, your matter is a question of the cost of your time. Is two-year-future Ben going look back and see the potentially (and slightly) higher price they paid today as an investment into their enjoyment the past two years or as a waste of money?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Just to be clear, I am not interested in the Bronco, but the change in lineup as Jeepā€™s response. If suddenly I can get factory rims, 35ā€, fox shocks and a V8 for 10k more, thatā€™s my budget right there, but with more content.

I want to benefit financially from Fordā€™s war with Jeep.
Being that the Bronco wont hit the streets until next spring (fall, after a couple of delays) there wont be any sudden changes to the Wrangler line up. I doubt anything significant will change before 2022. Jeep isn't going to put a V8 in Wranglers, its just a concept, I've never seen any Jeep "concept" vehicles hit the streets. If it does itll be an extremely limited run with a 80-100k price tag. The whole front end of a Wrangler would have to be modified to shoehorn a V8 in there and be able to pass any kind of safety tests. You or I could put a hemi in there aftermarket, but we don't have to run it through government mandated safety testing like a manufacturer does. Not to mention the ridiculous CAFE standards they have to meet for production vehicles, Jeep has already paid a metric Fton of fines for the current Wranglers inability to meet those. I think you are chasing a unicorn. I hope i am wrong, but im not stopping life to hold my breath for it.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Not me. I only upgraded tires and thatā€™s it. I had decided not to mod my JL too much to avoid issues with the dealer while itā€™s under warranty.

I admit itā€™s fun to enjoy a stock Jeep!

4B5A75A7-C129-4E15-9EB7-CC1F2A2615C5.jpeg
^^^^^ this

a tire swap is on the horizon but even the oem Michelins work in the dirt as long as Iā€™m realistic.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Being that the Bronco wont hit the streets until next spring (fall, after a couple of delays) there wont be any sudden changes to the Wrangler line up. I doubt anything significant will change before 2022. Jeep isn't going to put a V8 in Wranglers, its just a concept, I've never seen any Jeep "concept" vehicles hit the streets. If it does itll be an extremely limited run with a 80-100k price tag. The whole front end of a Wrangler would have to be modified to shoehorn a V8 in there and be able to pass any kind of safety tests. You or I could put a hemi in there aftermarket, but we don't have to run it through government mandated safety testing like a manufacturer does. Not to mention the ridiculous CAFE standards they have to meet for production vehicles, Jeep has already paid a metric Fton of fines for the current Wranglers inability to meet those. I think you are chasing a unicorn. I hope i am wrong, but im not stopping life to hold my breath for it.
You are absolutely right. Iā€™m willing to bet anyone that FCA does not put the 392 in a wrangler. It was all a ploy to rain on Fordā€™s parade. Besides, every vehicle that FCA has stuck the 392 in already had a V8 as an option. The engineering and design was already in place, making the whole proposition much easier and cost effective.

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I donā€™t want regurgitate other threads on the same subject, but FCA forcing me to buy a Rubicon trim to get a subset of the features is where Ford diverged.

I want the Rubicon capability without having to buy Dana 44s, transfer case etc.

I want my Rubicon to be more utilitarian, and not a Sahara:
Rubber floors
Textile seats
Rubber trunk
35ā€
v8 option ( if the unicorn is real)
A real roof rack

Itā€™s honestly not a big list, some of this is handled by the aftermarket. The point is that Jeep has gone $$$$ by adding thing things I donā€™t want, and offering limited choice.

The point of the thread is that the Bronco has forced me into pausingto see if Jeep responds. This may be 1-2 years, I donā€™t know. Do I want to dump 20k into a 50k vehicle? Not really.

I guess I am biding my time until 2022 to see how it plays out. The capability I have is totally fine for me, as this is my daily driver.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You are about 50 years late. In the old days you could pick the options you wanted. Then car manufacturers figured out they could force you to just buy packages. They made more money and people kept buying. At least the Wrangler gives you aftermarket choices.

Ford won't be any different. No one can/will build an individual optioned vehicle for each person buying one, especially if it is the cheapest trim with low profit.

Pull out the carpet and put mats down, cloth seats are standard (assume that is what you mean by textile), don't know what real roof rack is other than what is already available, and pretend your 33" tires are an inch wider. What if you don't like the Bronco wheels, think they will put on the ones you want?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I donā€™t want regurgitate other threads on the same subject, but FCA forcing me to buy a Rubicon trim to get a subset of the features is where Ford diverged.

I want the Rubicon capability without having to buy Dana 44s, transfer case etc.

I want my Rubicon to be more utilitarian, and not a Sahara:
Rubber floors
Textile seats
Rubber trunk
35ā€
v8 option ( if the unicorn is real)
A real roof rack

Itā€™s honestly not a big list, some of this is handled by the aftermarket. The point is that Jeep has gone $$$$ by adding thing things I donā€™t want, and offering limited choice.

The point of the thread is that the Bronco has forced me into pausingto see if Jeep responds. This may be 1-2 years, I donā€™t know. Do I want to dump 20k into a 50k vehicle? Not really.

I guess I am biding my time until 2022 to see how it plays out. The capability I have is totally fine for me, as this is my daily driver.
But then....what if International decides to bring back the Scout in 2023??? Are you still on hold or trigger pulled?

I'd go for whatever makes you happy today. With all of the crap and pandemic you might as well enjoy yourself now and not wait. We all might be speaking Chinese in 2022. Lol

Just my take.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
But then....what if International decides to bring back the Scout in 2023??? Are you still on hold or trigger pulled?
Or Toyota brings out the FJv3, or Jeep teases the JM, or Ford announces the Bronco 2 (boredom 0). There's always something else over the horizon.

Before we picked up the Jeep we were trying to figure out timing. We could get by without it and wouldn't really *need* it for transportation until the fall. I'm impatient so I wanted to do the deal sooner rather than later and the wife, said, "well really comes down to whether or not we want to enjoy this summer in the Jeep."

That's why a) the Jeep came home Memorial Day weekend, and b) I love my wife.

-edit- way back when a buddy had a Scout. That thing was a tough hombre...

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Unless youre willing to spend $$ it will be 2022 before the average joe gets a bronco. Then it will be another year or so before Jeep really responds. Probably at the refresh. Might as well enjoy what you have in the mean time. If jeep were to bring about another wrangler that you want more (ie V8), many, if not most, of your aftermarket upgrades will transfer over. Just pull them off and reinstall on the new one.

or sell now, before the value drops more and drive a corolla for the next couple years with the jeep fund sitting in the bank collecting .02% interest

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Anyone else like me has cancelled their planned upgrades, in light of the new upcoming content battle by Jeep vs Ford?
I had planned new rims, tires, bumpers, rock rails, roof rack. Now I am waiting a year or more to see what the future brings for MY21-22.
Why?