IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I decided today, after reading the ‘bad welds’ thread, to cancel my order. I’ve been dying for a fully loaded, sting-gray Rubi since I first laid eyes on them, and I think about it day and night, but I just can’t do it right now.

The issue, for me, is the trouble I see, and, have personally experienced in test drives. I’ve driven a couple of JLs and all had vague steering. I chalked it up to a Jeep being a Jeep until I saw all of the threads and posts here and elsewhere. On one of the test drives, I took a JL Rubi on a stretch of highway where I could open it up and it was insane trying to keep it straight and to keep correcting it. People are sending letters to the NHTSA over frame welds. Nav/audio systems are going nuts. Fans sound like jets with fully opened throttles. Soft-tops are wearing easily. Hardtops have clips breaking. Turbos are burning to the ground after being built and a sock is supposed to fix it. Jeeps are randomly shutting themselves off while driving. Meanwhile, FCA keeps jacking up the price.

I want a JL. I NEED a JL. But I just can’t justify buying one right now. I’m just going to wait it out and see what the late model versions and the 19s have to offer.

If I’m wrong, change my mind. Please, seriously, do it. If you agree with me, what can we do to get @JeepCares to take these issues seriously and produce a higher quality vehicle, worthy of a $50k+ price tag, in the coming months?
Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
To each their own. My JLUR has nearly 6k miles and nothing major to complain about. Some little things here and there but overall I love it and have never regretted my purchase or wish I had waited.

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
I decided today, after reading the ‘bad welds’ thread, to cancel my order. I’ve been dying for a fully loaded, sting-gray Rubi since I first laid eyes on them, and I think about it day and night, but I just can’t do it right now.

The issue, for me, is the trouble I see, and, have personally experienced in test drives. I’ve driven a couple of JLs and all had vague steering. I chalked it up to a Jeep being a Jeep until I saw all of the threads and posts here and elsewhere. On one of the test drives, I took a JL Rubi on a stretch of highway where I could open it up and it was insane trying to keep it straight and to keep correcting it. People are sending letters to the NHTSA over frame welds. Nav/audio systems are going nuts. Fans sound like jets with fully opened throttles. Soft-tops are wearing easily. Hardtops have clips breaking. Turbos are burning to the ground after being built and a sock is supposed to fix it. Jeeps are randomly shutting themselves off while driving. Meanwhile, FCA keeps jacking up the price.

I want a JL. I NEED a JL. But I just can’t justify buying one right now. I’m just going to wait it out and see what the late model versions and the 19s have to offer.

If I’m wrong, change my mind. Please, seriously, do it. If you agree with me, what can we do to get @JeepCares to take these issues seriously and produce a higher quality vehicle, worthy of a $50k+ price tag, in the coming months?
Thanks for the post, @JeepCares you might want to run this up the flagpole.

I can deal with the rattling wiring panels on the 2 door hardtop, the gas tank that is reluctant to fill, rattling front speaker connection, and occasional burst of hot air. But the steering is hands down the worst I've ever felt including a 20 year old U haul truck. Second dealer appt next wednesday. JeepCares wanted to hear about my steering issue at first but the line has gone dead since the initial contact 2 weeks ago.

It's a shame because other than these issues the JL is a major step forward from my JK.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Your problem is that you're on a forum. Find the best built most reliable car that's made and go to a forum focused on it. You'll see thread after thread on problems. That's the nature of forums. People are more apt to post about problems or to post questions about correcting or fixing something than they are when everything is going well

Sponsored

OP
OP
IndustrialAction

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Your problem is that you're on a forum. Find the best built most reliable car that's made and go to a forum focused on it. You'll see thread after thread on problems. That's the nature of forums. People are more apt to post about problems or to post questions about correcting or fixing something than they are when everything is going well
I’ve been buying new cars for many years and have always belonged to forums to see what to keep an eye on. The steering issue is my primary concern as I’ve personally experienced it. When I do buy, you can be sure that I’ll give it a serious look via a trusted mechanic before purchasing. It is unlikely that I’ll just order one and hope for the best.

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto

Glad you talked yourself out of a new JL, I'd bet 99% of the owners of the 85,000 JL's produced by May 10, 2018, are happily driving around with a smile on their face.

OP
OP
IndustrialAction

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you talked yourself out of a new JL, I'd bet 99% of the owners of the 85,000 JL's produced by May 10, 2018, are happily driving around with a smile on their face.
Congrats to them

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Haven’t had any issues with mine - on the lift welds look great
+1

People aren’t going to flock to forums posting, “My steering is as expected, as are my welds!”

I feel badly for the people who got lemons, but they are the vocal minority. Compare vehicles sold with NHTSA complaints.

Anyway, you made up you mind, already. You have to be able to sleep at night, so I support you in your decision. Best of luck!

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Most amazing truck/Jeep vehicle of mine to date. Sounds like you'll regret it every day.
My welds are clean
My radio and uconnect work
It has forded thru 3' of water
Manual trans has had no issues
Auto stop button works
No cluster issues
Has had zero issues
Wind noise issue is a non issue
(Unless your coming from a CAR and
a quite car then the one you had)
The wind is one of the reasons I
bought it!
Halogen lights are fine
Proximity locks are a non issue
Key fob isn't as big as the jeep
$44,465 out the door was fair
No clunky transmission
Paint is flawless
Floor drain plugs did their job
Dealer has been helpful
Seats are amazing
Clutch feels better than any other
Dealer matched the lifetime warranty offered by Tom as referred on this forum
......and on and on.
Oh and the steering is great
No issues. I was panicky watching all the problems , (whether they be real or fancied). I stood my ground and do happy I did.
Based on my experience, you'll regret that decision.

My dad told me years ago, believe none of what you hear and maybe half of what you see!

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Honestly, with your frame of mind, you’re right to cancel. You will never be happy with it. Every little thing will drive you crazy, whether a problem exists or not.
As for me, I’m driving a JL three months now. Zero issues. No buyers remorse for the first time ever. There were people claiming bad welds back when I ordered too. I crawled all over mine before I signed off. Just because you ordered it, you don’t have to accept it. You are having a case of pre buyers remorse. Save your money until it passes, or buy something else.
To me though, a lot on here should change there username to @chickenlittle, because all I hear is “THE SKY IS FALLING “! :rain:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Me too, my JL 2DR RUBY HAD SEVERAL PROBLEMS THE FIRST DAY, BUT

I'm A jeeper, I fixed em and now it's the best jeep I've ever had/w a BAJA 1000 6-SPD TRANNY

This is a jeep that TARZAN woulda took to drive in the jungle/w CHEETA in the back seat

Evidently you don't REALLY WANT A JEEP !

W.E.
JIMBO

OP
OP
IndustrialAction

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, here come all of the ‘mine is awesome’ guys. Haha.

I guess because you got lucky, I screwed up, right?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I agree on the forum issue. For every 25 positives, there’s a negative and that seems to mean more. Like somehow if one person says it’s bad- it’s a conspiracy and that outweighs the good by 100.

I’m sure you’ve bought a lot of cars and this post isn’t going to change your mind- but I have too and mine has 8k on it. I bought one of the first off the line and have zero issues (aside from the rear washer nozzle). I’m sure there’s some. But I had those on other cars too. I had it on other wranglers, Tacomas, civics, Subarus, Mazda’s, saturns, mitsus, nissans, fords, chevys (damn I’ve owned a lot of cars). It’s a mechanical object. It will have faults.

But no one will force you to buy. Just don’t get caught up in the hype of the internet. Half of those posting negative reviews don’t even own one ...
Sponsored