Sponsored

BSG vs ESS A simple explanation please.

StyleGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC YUKON DENALI, 2017 JAGUAR XE, 2014 MASERATI GHIBLI SQ4
All of this new technology with unknown replacement costs are making the decision to purchase the lifetime warranty easier. If you're someone that keeps a vehicle for longer than the factory warranty period it might be a good $$$ decision. BSG, ESS, turbo, sealed transmission, extra batteries, mild hybrid systems, sensors galore, and everything is integrated into the touchscreen control in the dash. None of that is going to be cheap to diagnose or repair. $2,500 now or ? later. The good thing is you have a year to decide if you like the jeep. If you like it and think you'll drive it for a long time I'd purchase the warranty. Further research is required to make sure all of this is covered. I'm a diyer and can fix about anything, but much of this is over my head. It's almost impossible to work on your on vehicle anymore.
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
All of this new technology with unknown replacement costs are making the decision to purchase the lifetime warranty easier. If you're someone that keeps a vehicle for longer than the factory warranty period it might be a good $$$ decision. BSG, ESS, turbo, sealed transmission, extra batteries, mild hybrid systems, sensors galore, and everything is integrated into the touchscreen control in the dash. None of that is going to be cheap to diagnose or repair. $2,500 now or ? later. The good thing is you have a year to decide if you like the jeep. If you like it and think you'll drive it for a long time I'd purchase the warranty. Further research is required to make sure all of this is covered. I'm a diyer and can fix about anything, but much of this is over my head. It's almost impossible to work on your on vehicle anymore.
No brainer!!!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Maybe you do brakes yourself, but swapping out the lithium battery should be an easy DIY also.
What are you basing that assumption on? Itā€™s not in a typical easy to access location.

330 Wh is a TINY lithium battery; imagine four laptop batteries. I agree the stealerships will overcharge for replacement, but on paper it should be no more than double the replacement cost for a 12V lead-acid battery.
On paper means very little, on paper an LED should cost less than $1, but you wonā€™t find a genuine replacement part for that cheap. A lot depends not only on cost of components, but cost of testing, cetification, etc. Because the last thing you would want is a cheapo Chinese Lithium battery rupturing under you gas tank in order to pinch a penny.

I would be surprised to see a replacement battery for less than $500 cost to the dealership, and likely closer to $1,000+ for owners ordering from Mopar etc.

Bosch and Hitachi as two major mfrs directly sell a variety of 48V replacements in the 0.4KWH range for $600 - $1400 depending on application.
The eTorque battery is a Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt-Graphite battery, which is not as cheap as old laptop batteries, because NMC has higher voltage & capacity, and greater power density/kg, so the NMC options would cost more than the Lithium-Iron-Phosphate and Lithium-Titanate options in many other vehicles.

I plan on getting the 3.6 with the BSG this fall, but Iā€™m fully aware of the possible reliability and maintenance concerns, althouh they donā€™t concern me much.

As for the effectiveness of the BSG for braking, I doubt itā€™ll come close to the mechanical brakes, and itā€™s effect on engine-braking is still questionable, IMO especially if it wasnā€™t noticeable enough for reviewers to mention it in their 2.0T reviews.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of this new technology with unknown replacement costs are making the decision to purchase the lifetime warranty easier.
Lifetime Warranty usually doesnā€™t apply to batteries. But likely the BSG itself, converter, and wiring is covered, not sure about the belts if they would be considered consumables?
However, itā€™s a good idea in general if you plan on keeping your Wrangler significantly longer than 5yrs.

We still donā€™t know if the BSG 48V battery gets the same 10/100K warranty of the larger Hybrid batteries like the Pacificaā€™s, and until itā€™s stated in writing I wouldnā€™t assume anything for the eTorque application. Weā€™ll likely know once the 2.0Ts are more ubiquitous, as itā€™s not spelled out in the Warranty sections of the User Guide or Owner Manual.

Be sure to Read the fine print. :movember:

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Lifetime Warranty usually doesnā€™t apply to batteries. But likely the BSG itself, converter, and wiring is covered, not sure about the belts if they would be considered consumables?
However, itā€™s a good idea in general if you plan on keeping your Wrangler significantly longer than 5yrs.

We still donā€™t know if the BSG 48V battery gets the same 10/100K warranty of the larger Hybrid batteries like the Pacificaā€™s, and until itā€™s stated in writing I wouldnā€™t assume anything for the eTorque application. Weā€™ll likely know once the 2.0Ts are more ubiquitous, as itā€™s not spelled out in the Warranty sections of the User Guide or Owner Manual.

Do we have a lifetime warranty option in Canada?

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR

I was surprised to see hoses covered.

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do we have a lifetime warranty option in Canada?
Only through a small number of dealerships. I havenā€™t checked who curently offers it since I got it for the Rubi and the previous JK Sport in 2012/2009 respectively, as I expected to hold on to those longer than my 2015s, as more recently I knew these newer JK & JKU would likely be departing before 5yrs, so didnā€™t bother this time around.

The nice thing is that like the US it is transferable, so you can buy the lifetime warranty from a dealership in Ontario and it applies here out West. However of course cannot do north/south which would be easier as many US dealerships offer it, but a very small few Canadian ones do.

PS, some dealerships offer a type of ā€˜maintenance insuranceā€™ Iā€™ve seen offered here (we discussed it briefly for the A-X before I dismissed it), IIRC it maxes out at 10yrs from purchase, and is about $4,000+ ontop of the 50K/3yr base warranty.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
BSG = Battlestar Galactica

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Often things are banned in Canada to keep you from enjoying life too much.
Yeah, but you have free healthcare!
that's so they can keep you alive just enough to keep not enjoying life too much.
sorta like how death row inmates have to be healthy enough to be executed
Sponsored