Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Driving my Engineer to be nephew home from College the other day we encountered traffic on the highway and I disabled ESS with a button push.

I explained to my nephew how the ESS button's status is non-latching (it defaults to off when the rig is cold cranked) and how I wanted to devise a piece of plastic (on the 3D printer I don't own) that pressed the ESS button with the start button of the rig was pressed.

Recognizing there comes a time when kids become smarter than you my proposal was countered with some device that plugs into the 12V adapter, (providing another female socket for the one it uses to serve other appliances,) that then uses the rig's energy from this adapter--energized upon rig startup--to press the ESS button--allowing the 12V adapter to also serve as an anchor point for the device.

Sure, there's plenty of good CANBUS (e.g. Tazer JL) tech that does this but would people pay, say, $30 for this low-tech....tech? ;)

I'll call it "Dumb Smart Stop" -- pretty catchy...right?...pictures to follow....
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Ok, so we all know how a cam shaft works, right?

For those who need a refresher course:

This features a sideways camshaft. It rotates 360 degrees, effecting one full stroke each time the 12V accessory plug is initially energized (i.e. upon rig startup.)

dumsmartstopmechanism.jpg
dumsmartstopdrawing.jpg

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Ok, so we all know how a cam shaft works, right?

For those who need a refresher course:

This features a sideways camshaft. It rotates 360 degrees, effecting one full stroke each time the 12V accessory plug is initially energized (i.e. upon rig startup.)

dumsmartstopmechanism.jpg
dumsmartstopdrawing.jpg
Hmmmm, could actually work. Simple enough.

Only thing I would question is the amount of force it may take to push the button vs. how secure the unit will fit in the socket without popping out(equal force pushing in the opposite direction)

Can def make you a prototype at the shop. Small motor, some small gears, little bit of ingenuity and you may have yourself a cool little gadget.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I have found that setting the auto thermostat temperature setting to 80 degrees disables the auto start/stop. The computer must be programed so that it doesn't shut the engine off if you are trying to gain significantly more temperature inside the cabin. And, setting the thermostat to 80 does not result in too warm of a cabin temperature on my trips to work and back, which are only 5 miles long, when the outside temperature is <20 degrees. I just figured this out on Monday, and I haven't had the auto start/stop shut the engine off in the last three days. It used to auto start/stop all the time on the way to work.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I have found that setting the auto thermostat temperature setting to 80 degrees disables the auto start/stop. The computer must be programed so that it doesn't shut the engine off if you are trying to gain significantly more temperature inside the cabin. And, setting the thermostat to 80 does not result in too warm of a cabin temperature on my trips to work and back, which are only 5 miles long, when the outside temperature is <20 degrees. I just figured this out on Monday, and I haven't had the auto start/stop shut the engine off in the last three days.
You need to bring yo Jeep in dude

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Driving my Engineer to be nephew home from College the other day we encountered traffic on the highway and I disabled ESS with a button push.

I explained to my nephew how the ESS button's status is non-latching (it defaults to off when the rig is cold cranked) and how I wanted to devise a piece of plastic (on the 3D printer I don't own) that pressed the ESS button with the start button of the rig was pressed.

Recognizing there comes a time when kids become smarter than you my proposal was countered with some device that plugs into the 12V adapter, (providing another female socket for the one it uses to serve other appliances,) that then uses the rig's energy from this adapter--energized upon rig startup--to press the ESS button--allowing the 12V adapter to also serve as an anchor point for the device.

Sure, there's plenty of good CANBUS (e.g. Tazer JL) tech that does this but would people pay, say, $30 for this low-tech....tech? ;)

I'll call it "Dumb Smart Stop" -- pretty catchy...right?...pictures to follow....
Oh...my nephew is soooooooo smart! Nah Nah! My own son came up with a way to disable ESS INSTANTLY....WITHOUT THE NEED FOR ELECTRONIC DEVICES!
jeep pole wreck.jpg

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Oh...my nephew is soooooooo smart! Nah Nah! My own son came up with a way to disable ESS INSTANTLY....WITHOUT THE NEED FOR ELECTRONIC DEVICES!
jeep pole wreck.jpg
Ouch!

"No dad, I didn't 'wrap' it around a pole, per se. The 'operative term' here might best be 'wedged' it between a pole and a 'hard place.' Yeah...that sounds better." ;)

I think your post was satire. If not, I hope everyone was okay!

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
laughing at my own idea, it's probably a bit like this....

Rube_Goldberg's__Self-Operating_Napkin__(cropped).gif

With comedic intent, perhaps I can merge my original design with my nephew's and use one of these to wrap around it and serve as the anchor point of a manual dual plunger that starts the engine and presses the ESS button....
61M2NsEXwXL._SL1000_.jpg

The "prototype"

upload_2019-12-20_9-7-33.png

(I normally don't even turn off ESS!) ;)

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is all in Jest, but would it not be easier to print a extension to mount to your hand so when you press the start it presses the disable button. Then when you are driving with it on you could give a cool new Jeep wave?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I know this is all in Jest, but would it not be easier to print a extension to mount to your hand so when you press the start it presses the disable button. Then when you are driving with it on you could give a cool new Jeep wave?
That's far too simple and practical. Where are all the steps..the points of failure....where's the satisfaction when it actually works 1 out of every 52 tries? ;)

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
That's far too simple and practical. Where are all the steps..the points of failure....where's the satisfaction when it actually works 1 out of every 52 tries? ;)
Andy, very true but I was going for the new Jeep wave idea, you can market that.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I still don’t understand the “defeating” the ESS obsession some people have. I too hate it but after 5 months I’ve gotten so used to just hitting the off button after the start button that it’s now second nature. And for the couple of times I do forget, so I’m reminded when the engine shuts once, step on the clutch, press the button.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Someone already made a gizmo to shut it off and remember it.
It's expensive because it has all the right plugs but someone could make it for considerably less if they spliced it in.

Also, someone could do it by analyzing the brake switch since it's the one who actually determines if the ESS will kick in or not.
If you don't push the brake pedal enough, it will not engage. So, it would be "easy" to build a little gadget that limits the brake switch signal being sent back to the computer. Essentially allowing full brake force while only outputting the "light" brake signal.

Or one could just press the button...

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
I'll bet a good dog trainer could, well, you know. The you could designate him/her your ESS Service Dog.
Sponsored