Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I think you're talking about almost what I'm talking about. A more basic version. I'm just suggesting that Wrangler is already a great seller and for the sake of keeping those sales, not degrading the content of a wrangler below the current Sport trim. The Sport is pretty much what you're asking for anyway.

If you utilize the Renegade niche in the lineup for the simple model, the benefits would be many. You would redesign to enhance the visual similarities, with more Wranglerish features like the roof, ride height, and more usability off-road, all things that would enhance sales even for people who don't actually go off road much. The smaller platform would allow for those smaller power plants that would give better economy, and at a lower price point buyers would accept a slower 0-60 time. Just not "Jimny slow".
I'm really talking about something even simpler than a Sport, but in the Wrangler body (Jesus I hate that name!) I have a Sport, with minimal options. It's still got way MORE tech and gear than I want or need. I don't really need a smaller ride, and I get 24 MPG overall with my 3.6 automatic.
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
FCA will not build a "cheap" Wrangler, not when you can configure a $85K Wrangler. We will see a $100K Wrangler long before we see a no frills rig. Look for a YJ, invest a few grand and pray the idiots at the US Department of Morons don't make the ICE illegal in the next 5 years.

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
A "Wrangler Classic" based on a TJ shell or something would be cool. Would never happen though, too many regulations it would have to meet, to make it cost effective.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
FCA will not build a "cheap" Wrangler, not when you can configure a $85K Wrangler. We will see a $100K Wrangler long before we see a no frills rig. Look for a YJ, invest a few grand and pray the idiots at the US Department of Morons don't make the ICE illegal in the next 5 years.
I kinda think Stellantis WOULD build it, if they really thought they could sell a ton of them and make a moderate profit. However, looking at the stuff people on Jeep forums (fora?) want, add, or require, I have doubts that many people would by a stripper Wrangler. Looks to me like it's one of those things that everybody says they want but nobody will buy.

To take an example: July of 2019, I went looking for a basic JL. My local dealer had a 2 door Sport, 3.6 A/T with hardtop, A/C, LSD, tinted glass, mats. Sticker was 35+K. I was able to drive it home that day for 32K out the door..nobody else wanted it. And it STILL has more stuff than I want on it. However, they couldn't keep a 4 door Sahara or Rubicon on the lot.

Admittedly, my Jeep experience goes back far enough that my first one was a 1949 Willys...as a daily driver and offroader. but nobody is going to put up with that level of comfort, performance, and equipment today.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I have doubts that many people would by a stripper Wrangler. Looks to me like it's one of those things that everybody says they want but nobody will buy.

To take an example: July of 2019, I went looking for a basic JL. My local dealer had a 2 door Sport, 3.6 A/T with hardtop, A/C, LSD, tinted glass, mats. Sticker was 35+K. I was able to drive it home that day for 32K out the door...nobody else wanted it. And it STILL has more stuff than I want on it. However, they couldn't keep a 4 door Sahara or Rubicon on the lot.
My dealer's lot stock of JLU Wranglers and Gladiators (i.e., what they configure themselves and hope to sell) was and remains well-optioned Rubicons, with the occasional and equally well-outfitted Moab and Sahara making an appearance. Willys trims are seen infrequently. Sports have been completely absent. Window stickers are rarely less than $50K or so, and go north quickly. Well north.

I ordered my Sport, figuring I'd never see anything close to it on the lot, new or used. I was right. Not all of us want leather-lined ashtrays and power cupholders, lol.

One of the salesman with whom I recently spoke advised me that most of what's inbound on the truck has been sold before it arrives. Banked stimulus payments and savings accumulated from work-from-home arrangements have put cash in people's pockets, and they're not willing to wait for a factory order with an unknown ETA.

A family member purchased a new Jetta in 2012 for a very good price. Diesel, 6 speed manual. No one wanted either of those two elements, and certainly not when they were paired like that. And...it remains an unmolested cheater that returns comparatively good performance and even better fuel mileage. I asked him to give me right of first refusal if he ever decides to sell it.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The biggest impediment, Crash Ratings. Does anyone remember the Geo Metro ( Suzuki Swift) ? 1800lbs, 3 cylinder, 5 speed, 1.0L, maybe 58 hp. I got 55-60 mpg, it was fun to drive, and a total death trap. That kinda takes the fun out of driving, knowing you are totally in the minus numbers in safety ratings

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So, a TJ with modern vehicles emissions and safety standards?
Gonna cost you 25k.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Does anyone remember the Geo Metro ( Suzuki Swift) ? 1800lbs, 3 cylinder, 5 speed, 1.0L, maybe 58 hp. I got 55-60 mpg,...
I remember renewed demand for such vehicles during the 2008 recession, when national gas price trends reached and breached $4/gal. for the first time. Prices for Geos and the like increased in a manner similar to what we witnessed with Carvana and Vroom valuations for our Jeeps this past spring & summer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The biggest impediment, Crash Ratings. Does anyone remember the Geo Metro ( Suzuki Swift) ? 1800lbs, 3 cylinder, 5 speed, 1.0L, maybe 58 hp. I got 55-60 mpg, it was fun to drive, and a total death trap. That kinda takes the fun out of driving, knowing you are totally in the minus numbers in safety ratings
The wrangler gets a horrible safety rating every year and yet, returns some of the lowest actual crash fatality numbers.

Sponsored

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
it’s fun to think about new endeavors but this would never be made as it wouldn’t sell. Americans want “bigger & better”. the vast majority of vehicles on our roads seat five or more and the populous wants electric items so badly that they’re willing to pay more than base price for them. the public doesn’t want this. if they did, it would be discussed in focus groups with concepts being made.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
it’s fun to think about new endeavors but this would never be made as it wouldn’t sell. Americans want “bigger & better”. the vast majority of vehicles on our roads seat five or more and the populous wants electric items so badly that they’re willing to pay more than base price for them. the public doesn’t want this. if they did, it would be discussed in focus groups with concepts being made.
Nah the problem is that you can buy a 20 year old TJ and be happy with it. All the parts are already out there for it.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Sounds like you want to take a $20,000 vehicle, add $10,000 worth of higher quality standard equipment and sell it for $23,000. Not likely to happen.

You can buy a Jeep for $30,000, which is at least a $10,000 better machine than a Jimny.
Sponsored