Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Geared to the mall crawling? It’s a 94.8:1 crawl ratio. I believe it will go anywhere a stock rubicon can go(width not included) however when you start comparing aftermarket long arm suspension the Jeep will still shine.
You've been fooled.. ONLY one package has the 'up-tier' 3.06:1 transfer case.. the rest have your average 2.73:1. THEN you have to also add the manual trans with super cool 'crawler' lol gear. AND because you optioned the manual trans.. you're limted to the 2.3l motor.

Typical Ford.. BEST IN CLASS
Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Sure you can option the Sasquatch on base model but it damn sure isn’t going to be a base price anymore.
you take that price difference and put it to a base wranglers tires and suspension, how far can you go that’s the real question?

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Of the 8 cars I’ve owned, 6 have been Ford (92 Explorer Sport, 99 Explorer SOHC V6, 99 Mustang GT, 05 F150, 04 Mustang Mach 1, 10 Fusion Hybrid).

I’ve forever been a Ford fan and even more of a Bronco fan as that was the first car I remember my parents owning when I was a kid.

I've said it on here before, but Ford lost me when they kept dragging their feet on the Bronco. We currently have our first Jeep on order and couldn't be more excited. We'll take a look at the Bronco in a couple years once the kinks get worked out (and maybe a Raptor-like trim). There will be kinks. I think this competition will be for for both brands.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
You've been fooled.. ONLY one package has the 'up-tier' 3.06:1 transfer case.. the rest have your average 2.73:1. THEN you have to also add the manual trans with super cool 'crawler' lol gear. AND because you optioned the manual trans.. you're limted to the 2.3l motor.

Typical Ford.. BEST IN CLASS
People are clamoring to get the 2.0 in the Jeep! 2.3 has similar power number and tunes really wake them up. I’m seeing 330hp and 450tq crank in the 2.3.

You are right the 4.7 and stick create the 94.8 crawl ratio. Which is what I’m ordering.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
I don’t think the Bronco will be anymore competition than the last generation Toyota FJ/Tacoma or Hummer H2/3 were for the TJ/LJ and JK/U Wranglers.

On “paper” the FJ and H2/3 were easily more then a match for the Wranglers of the time, but in the end proved less then a match “off road”. They did excel in on road ride though.

I suspect the Bronco will have a great on road ride, but it is clear Ford was careful not to show it on to many rocky trails like those Jeep uses. Where they did show it, is easy stuff for the basic JL/U with limited slip. I know the location it’s not far from me and I have wheeled it many times in my TJs and JKU.

Overall my hats off to Ford for investing in bringing the Bronco back. It’s not my taste in cockpit looks and layout but I am sure some will love it.

For me I am more then happy with my JLUR and will be happy to help all the stuck Broncos I run into on the trails. Kinda like we did with the H2s and FJs (recent FJs not the FJ40s) in years past. LoL.....meant to be humorous and those that have wheeled for a long time will understand it.

Sorry I am a Jeep guy, but I do appreciate the efforts Ford has put forward it can only help Jeeps get even better.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I don’t think the Bronco will be anymore competition than the last generation Toyota FJ/Tacoma or Hummer H2/3 were for the TJ/LJ and JK/U Wranglers.

On “paper” the FJ and H2/3 were easily more then a match for the Wranglers of the time, but in the end proved less then a match “off road”. They did excel in on road ride though.

I suspect the Bronco will have a great on road ride, but it is clear Ford was careful not to show it on to many rocky trails like those Jeep uses. Where they did show it, is easy stuff for the basic JL/U with limited slip. I know the location it’s not far from me and I have wheeled it many times in my TJs and JKU.

Overall my hats off to Ford for investing in bringing the Bronco back. It’s not my taste in cockpit looks and layout but I am sure some will love it.

For me I am more then happy with my JLUR and will be happy to help all the stuck Broncos I run into on the trails. Kinda like we did with the H2s and FJs (recent FJs not the FJ40s) in years past. LoL.....meant to be humorous and those that have wheeled for a long time will understand it.

Sorry I am a Jeep guy, but I do appreciate the efforts Ford has put forward it can only help Jeeps get even better.
The Bronco is an absolute direct competitor with the Wrangler. Much more than the FJ and the H2, mostly because the doors and top can be removed from the Bronco.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

You are a Jeep guy. But oem it has better crawl and ground clearance.
not the terrain I see with 6 inch lifted long arms that jl mitigate but impressive for oem.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread A652582C-BFAF-4DF2-AAD0-9C999043C174
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread E57B9065-E3A0-4A92-A6D0-8EEDBC4E3366
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 7D36B5B6-BEB9-4D69-A00B-15A193EF738F
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread E4DFF8E4-99AA-4690-9FF5-A50AACB0D82C

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not saying it isn’t a closer match to the JL/U in fun features. History shows 75% of Jeep owners never fully use all the fun features and this will most likely hold true for the Bronco as well. I am guilty of this, I never once took my JKU hardtop or doors off nor did I even take the front roof panels off my JKU. I have no intentions of ever removing them on my JLUR either. Not why I bought my Jeeps plus I learned early in life with my TJs just how much of a PIA it was to clean up the interior of an “open air” Jeep after a weekend out camping and trail running. They are never the same again.

I was pointing out others have claimed “on paper” performance better then past Wranglers and in real world use have fallen short. These companies did not have the fun features of the Jeeps, but then they also knew that the majority of owners never use them so why include them.

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The 2021 Ford Bronco Already Has A Few Big Advantages over the Jeep Wrangler
June 14, 2020

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-ford-bronco-already-few-170000181.html

From Road & Track

The arrival of the 2021 Ford Bronco means that, for the first time in decades, the Jeep Wrangler has a true, direct competitor. And though we haven't driven the new Bronco yet, it's clear that Ford is serious about taking on the most established off-road nameplate in America.

Because when you're going up against a product as popular as the Wrangler, it's not enough to match what your competitor is already doing. You have to unseat the king. In a few key ways, it looks like Ford's done just that.

High-Speed Stability and Steering

One of the more controversial decisions Ford made with the new Bronco was the choice to go for independent front suspension over a solid axle like the Wrangler has. It's not an unpopular design choice—in fact, now that the G-Wagen has gone to an independent front suspension, Jeep is the only one making solid front axle vehicles for the U.S. market. But Jeep fans and hardcore off-roaders often mention that solid axles offer a lot of durability and high articulation. Articulation is the amount of vertical wheel travel relative to the body of the vehicle, with greater articulation allowing an off-roader to take on more uneven surfaces without losing contact with the ground.

But there's a reason Ford went with an independent front suspension. Solid axles are heavy, with greater unsprung weight making ride and body control more difficult. They also take up a ton of room, require a less precise steering mechanism, and often contribute to a busier ride at speed.

All of that means that the Bronco will likely maintain more composure in higher-speed off-road situations, have better steering, and be more docile on the highway when compared to a Wrangler.

Ground Clearance, Departure Angle, Breakover Angle, and Fording Depth
Ford's quite proud of the cleverness of the available "Sasquatch Package." Like the mythical creature, Bronco's that go for this come with some seriously big feet. It includes 35-inch tires, which help give the Bronco a class-leading 11.6-inches of ground clearance. Wrangler Rubicons sit 10.8 inches above the ground. That increased ground clearance gives it better departure and breakover angles than the Jeep.

Power (For Now)

The all-EcoBoost launch lineup of the Bronco offers 270 hp standard from a turbocharged 2.3-liter and up to 310 hp from a 2.7-liter V-6. While the Jeep's base V-6 beats the 270-hp four-banger, no Jeep powerplant makes as much hp as the 2.7. Its 400 lb-ft of torque also bests all of the gas Wranglers, though the EcoDiesel engine offered by Jeep beats Ford's 2.7 with 442 lb-ft of twist.

Of course, none of that will matter if Jeep goes through with the 6.4-liter V-8 Wrangler Rubicon 392. It's only a concept for now, but a source confirmed to Road & Track that it was destined for series production. Competition is a good thing, though. It's no coincidence that the V-8 Jeep concept was announced on the Bronco's reveal day. Here's to hoping we'll get a Raptor-ized Bronco with a V-8 or 3.5 EcoBoost.

The Doors

Anyone who has taken the doors off of a Wrangler knows that it's easy to drive a car without doors, but pretty annoying to drive one without mirrors. You don't realize how much you use the Jeep's door-mounted mirrors subconsciously until you lose them entirely.

For the Bronco, Ford chose to mount the mirror on the bodywork. That means you'll be able to slide the doors off without massively impacting situational awareness. Ford also claims that they're seriously simple to take off. At the very least, they're frameless doors. That makes them way more compact, light, and easy to store. Just roll down the windows, slide 'em off, and drop 'em in the back.

The Little Details

One thing Ford has proven with the new F-150, Bronco, and Bronco Sport is its ability to nail the little lifestyle things that make owning a car better. They all have built in bottle openers for tailgating, the Bronco Sport has camp-illuminating floodlights, and the Bronco is packed with well-thought-out touches like that.

There's a little rail on the dashboard to mount your phone and GPS, so you can keep things from sliding around without the need for a view-blocking suction cup mount. There's a slide-out seat on the tailgate for sitting around or prepping gear. There's room to store the roof panels and the doors on board. Everything can be optioned to be water-resistant and, in the case of the floors, drainable. There's a clear mounting point for a winch and hood-mounted tie-downs. Ford's even offering an app to store trail maps.

Sure, the JL Wrangler took a big leap forward in terms of usability. But clearly Ford has thought about the little things. These aren't the flashy, headline-grabbing options, but the things owners will come to appreciate over years.

The Bad News
None of this means that Ford's bloodied and battered the segment veteran. The older and more established Jeep still has a few objective benefits over the Bronco. It may not have the clearance of the Bronco, but it has a better approach angle. That means it should be able to approach steeper obstacles without scraping, though the Bronco's better breakover and departure angles will help when you've already gotten onto an obstacle. The solid axle also increases wheel articulation, another area where the Wrangler shines.

Plus, the Bronco is launching with over 200 available accessories. Impressive, but there are few vehicles with as much aftermarket support as the Wrangler. If you want to immediately modify your truck mechanically, it'll probably take a few years for the support for the Bronco to be as robust as the Jeep.

Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Not saying it is closer match to the JL/U in fun features. History shows 75% of Jeep owners never fully use all the fun features and this will most likely hold true for the Bronco as well. I am guilty of this, I never once took my JKU hardtop or doors off nor did I even take the front roof panels off my JKU. I have no intentions of ever removing them on my JLUR either. Not why I bought my Jeeps plus I learned early in life with my TJs just how much of a PIA it was to clean up the interior of an “open air” Jeep after a weekend out camping and trail running. They are never the same again.

I was pointing out others have claimed “on paper” performance better then past Wranglers and in real world use have fallen short. These companies did not have the fun features of the Jeeps, but then they also knew that the majority of owners never use them so why include them.
I don’t understand. Why buy a wrangler or be a so called Jeep guy if a 4x4 station wagon will suffice? GC And crewcab will do everything you use your JL for. With my JK my doors and top were off as much as I could. Even driving in 30 degree weather for a 50 mile trip. Damn cold but coming back was beautiful!

I laugh at all these supposed earth people with their Prius windows up closed to the world on a beautiful day. Part if which makes Jeep so wonderful is the closeness you get to the world around you.
My thoughts.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are a Jeep guy. But oem it has better crawl and ground clearance.
not the terrain I see with 6 inch lifted long arms that jl mitigate but impressive for oem.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread E4DFF8E4-99AA-4690-9FF5-A50AACB0D82C
That area is not far from my house and is easy for a even a stock JK/U with AT tires and a limited slip to conquer. So it’s not impressive.

Ground clearance with a JL/UR is an easy factor to overcome because a simple and cheap 1.5-2” “puck” lift with stock 33”-35” or 37” tires will match or surpass that of the Bronco. Adding lift to the IFS is far more expensive and complicated so those wishing to run 37” tires best have a deep pocket.

Crawl ratio is kinda laughable. It’s only available in the manual transmission. That’s a small market these days. Less then 10% of Jeeps are sold with manual transmissions. Also with proper driving technique an automatic transmission like that in the 3.6 JK/UR or JL/UR is just or even more capable then super low crawl rations that 99% of the average buyer will have no idea how and when to use. Heck most folks don’t even know when and how to use a locker in an automatic Jeep let alone how drive a manual in low range over rough terrain. Now if that super low crawl ration was available in an automatic that would be something special.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t understand. Why buy a wrangler or be a so called Jeep guy if a 4x4 station wagon will suffice? GC And crewcab will do everything you use your JL for. With my JK my doors and top were off as much as I could. Even driving in 30 degree weather for a 50 mile trip. Damn cold but coming back was beautiful!

I laugh at all these supposed earth people with their Prius windows up closed to the world on a beautiful day. Part if which makes Jeep so wonderful is the closeness you get to the world around you.
My thoughts.
I actually use my Jeeps off road and enjoy hard trails. I don’t enjoy getting sun burned and covered in dust and mud while doing so. Been there done that too many times.

The fact the you think GC can match a JLUR off road says everything one needs to know about your knowledge.

Last edited:

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
My .02

I am impressed with the new Bronco for what it is. If you are interested in doing difficult off-roading I think the Wrangler platform is clearly the way to go with the solid front axle. I don't see being able to go beyond 35 inch tires with the Bronco without major mods and I mean major! I don't think you will see these on trails like Pritchett Canyon or Metal Masher in Moab and I think they would struggle on the Rubicon as well. Even if you somehow were able to fit 37's on one of these, the articulation will be very limited and I am not sure the IFS components would stand up to them, much less 40's.

Also, the "factory" spec comparisons aren't really apples to apples since they are comparing vehicles on different tire sizes. Yeah, you can store the doors in the back, but NOTHING else, who does that in the real world?

I do like the turning feature, but at the end of the day, this is just an improvement on an FJ in my opinion.

CTI-4.jpg
Sponsored