Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 743 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
One thing people never remember is Tim Kuniskis said the JL Wrangler line will NEVER see a Hemi from FCA.. it can't pass crash tests.

However remember this....... the new inline 6 with turbo will blow away anything Ford has.

Probably be late 2021-2022 to see that option

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
I have 2 Jeeps...a 2013 Lifted 2 Door on 35" and a 2020 JLU Willys, and I love both Jeeps, but I have to admit, the Bronco looks awesome. I would generally not buy a first year product launch, but by 2023, my 2013 will be 10 years old, and I may just look at the 2 Door Bronco as an option. I would not be surprised if Jeep owners have both a Bronco and Wrangler. I will always be a Jeep fan, but I have to admit, Ford did a good job and its great to see competition. I'm curious to see if Toyota will create a new body on frame SUV to replace the FJ Cruiser and/or 4runner.
Seeing how Toyota had to partner up with BMW only to destroy the legendary Toyota Supra, I'd be surprised if they bring back the FJ on their own terms. Im sure their 4Runner sales skyrocketed after discontinuing the FJ.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I see it mostly as a loan to Ford.

I'm not typically one to be a first-in-line guinnea pig for new product testing though.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was seriously considering Bronco in addition to my JL to get the 2.7 / 7 speed combo.

But now seeing its only going to be available with the 2.3, well, there's not much it offers my JLUR doesn't. Maybe I'll wait and see if they release a Bronco branded pickup

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
One thing people never remember is Tim Kuniskis said the JL Wrangler line will NEVER see a Hemi from FCA.. it can't pass crash tests.
Did he though?

Technically he was asked about the Hellcat, depending on how you read the first sentence.

https://m.drive.com.au/news/jeep-gauging-interest-in-two-door-ute-121117

Kuniskis also watered-down any possibility of high-performance versions of the Wrangler and Gladiator, potentially powered by the company's fire-breathing Hellcat supercharged V8.
It's not unreasonable to presume he was referring to any Hemi.

BUT his quote does continue referring to "IT," not "THEM" or "HEMIs."

"Everybody always asks me that question: it fits. You know that. It fits like a glove," he said.
That could be reading too much into it, of course, but what if we've all been running with an assumption?

"But the problem is that it fits like a glove and there is no air space around the engine and the whole external space of the vehicle so you have no crush space; you have nothing that can be used to absorb energy in a crash.
An argument to support the Hellcat only interpretation, would be the extra space taken up by the supercharger, which is potential crush space for a NA Hemi.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Even those Tesla reservations aren't first come / first serve. They build in batches and some people were getting model Y's very fast just because they picked the right color or trim. They did the same thing with the model 3, some people were waiting a long time for their 'reserved' car to get built while others were getting their freshly ordered car delivered in a few weeks. But Elon gets to hang on to your money for a long time as a 0 interest loan. It's a stupid game, I'm not putting money on the hood for anything I haven't test driven anyway.

Hopefully Ford has at least made some agreement with their dealers covering the first editions. There won't be many to go around, they could pretty easily mess with allocations if the dealer won't play ball.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I mean, here's the 392 vs the Demon in a Challenger.

Certainly seems like there's more air space around the NA engine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread Dodge_Challenger_SRT-8_(2011)_-_6.4L_392_Hemi_V8_Engine_-_2
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 2018-Dodge-Challenger-SRT-Demon-engine-bay

EDIT:

And articles from around the time support the Hellcat interpretation as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread Screenshot_20200715-093630_Chrome
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread Screenshot_20200715-093649_Chrome

Only the last article in this second screenshot makes the leap from Hellcat to V8 in general.

Last edited:

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Basically your deposit is a way for Ford to gauge actual interest in the new Bronco.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Seeing how Toyota had to partner up with BMW only to destroy the legendary Toyota Supra, I'd be surprised if they bring back the FJ on their own terms. Im sure their 4Runner sales skyrocketed after discontinuing the FJ.
Toyota's ace in the hole always has been above average reliability. Toyota might have made a mistake with the Supra. I would have bought a BMW if I wanted to roll the dice. BMW reliability or lack of it turned me away from buying a Supra. Not a big fan of the design either but would have probably tried one out if it were not for the BMW motor.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, not a true reservation but allows Ford to state numbers for marketing purposes. They will "sell out" the reservations of certain models and it will help drive panic buying of the other maximum reservations. Then they'll claim they have all 1st year production models reserved due to the huge demand!

Elio Motors has a concept 3 wheel car and accepts $100 - $1000 reservations. Original launch was planned for 2012 but they still haven't released a vehicle. I forgot what year(s) models are now sold out via reservations but they've yet to produce a single customer obtainable vehicle.
Sponsored