Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
After watching several YouTube videos and reviews, as well as going to Ford's website, I feel like Ford listens to Jeep customers/owners better than Jeep does. Lots of great things on the new Bronco that we've all been complaining about for a long time. I'm sure I'll buy one in a couple years, but I'm not a team guy.

PS- There's no way I order a 2021 Jeep without driving the Bronco first. Too much going for the Bronco
Totally agree !

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Except that it doesn't. It does one thing extremely well (two things if you count the appearance of being able to do that thing) and does the rest well enough. It still has loose steering (relatively speaking) that freaks a lot of people out, it's noisy as hell on the freeway, and it bounces around because of the live front axle. It appeals to a large swath by being 6/10 or 7/10 in most categories. Even that has only been in the last 13 years because the TJ was quite unapologetic. Most of us forgive that because we value that one capability that no other can match.

Meanwhile, Ford is about to release a more capable 4Runner type platform with a lot of the features that appeal to the Jeep mall crawler types. It has removable doors and windows, it appears to handle 35's, and as in IFS with rack and pinion, it's going to be worlds better on the road which is going to be a huge factor in handling and initial impressions.

The larger issue comes with the question of how should Jeep respond? The 2.3L Eco is an outstanding, proven powerplant that dwarfs the power in the JL/JT. If they want more power, the 2.7L Eco likely fits as well and will probably be the Raptor variant down the road. Jeep has the 2.0L turbo but investing into that is going to push away your old-school Jeeper crowd who would much prefer an I-6 that in all likelihood is unproven and will have worse economy and NVH for the mall crowd.

Jeep is in a tough spot here but it's really not just Jeep... this is going to disrupt Toyota's side just as much because now people have the opportunity for a 4Runner type vehicle with the option for a manual (with a proper fucking granny gear!), more power, and what appears to fit larger tires from the get-go. This isn't like Ford dropping the Ranger that was nothing special and both are going to need to step up if they don't want Ford becoming the solid market leader.
The SVT version of the Bronco is called the Warthog. This will get the 3.0L V6 ecoboost from the Lincoln Aviator which is a 400Hp brute. The 3.0L is a bored (2.3mm) and stroked (3mm) aluminum block version of the 2.7L so it fits right in without issues.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
All of the practical features of the Bronco are so nice. I've read somewhere with the 2D the backseat is 50/50 fold. I mean really, Jeep has NEVER solved that with the 2D, the way the seat is pushed forward on the 2D sucks. Wrangler has had no serious competition for too long. I am not switching teams, but Ford put so much thought into the details.

Sorry but FCA deserves this, so much. All of these features we have asked for, and FCA has always been like "sorry, not sorry". Well guess what, cutting costs for not making the 2D as practical as it should be is gonna bite them back. So many people are gonna buy the 2D Bronco, because they actually made it practical. I feel like since the introduction of the school bus JKU Jeep has been slacking so much on the 2D it almost feels as if they don't even want it to be in the market anymore. I was stranded once because of the worst front seat release system I have ever seen in a 2 door vehicle, as well as other jeep owners, because they put the worst pos piece of tiny plastic, cheapest material they could ever find as the "memory" mechanism for the release. The piece breaks with like 1lb of force and it gets stuck in the rails.

2 doors not being practical is an excuse. I do not want to drive a school bus. Good job Ford, the 2 door Bronco is legit awesome. It is fugly, but it is awesome. I have a baby coming next year, and in a few years, when I get rid of my 2D I was thinking I was gonna have no choice but a 4D. I am rethinking that now, I hope Jeep steps up and in about 5 to 7 years from now we have a better 2D option.

If the Bronco proves to be reliable, actually offroad capable, and Jeep doesn't solve their 2D issues. I would rather drive an ugly 2D Bronco than a 4D jeep.
I agree. The Bronco 2d basically double the storage space behind the second seat vs my Jeep 2d. 23.5 cubic feet vs 12.9.

Sponsored

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Idk, just got my JL in February, so I have a couple years. Hopefully in that time Jeep steps up and stays competitive with what Ford is putting out, because so far, outside of not offering the 7 speed with the 2.7(what a stupid choice!), they did a hell of a job.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Times have changed and off-roading vehicles have simply become more practical. Lots of people camping with their families, exploring outdoors, etc... 4D Jeep is fully capable and practical. The issue is that Jeep kind of stopped caring much about the 2D, they didn't read the new market. People stopped buying the 2D because the price difference is not that big, and the 4D is a lot more practical. The 2D Jeep has been slowly dying, but with the new 2D Bronco, that might change.

The 4D Bronco and 2D Bronco have the same tow ratings. FCA has been full of excuses for 2D owners for far too long. Jeep has been comfortable for too long.

It is 2020 and they gave us 13 cubic feet of storage on the trunk.... because "it is a 2 door". The 2 door bronco has 23.6, and 58.4! with the seats down. And it is also a 2 door.
That said, in looking at local dealers, most of the 2-doors have been sold and they are sitting on a bunch of 4-doors. So either they ordered wrong or the market for the existing 2-door is stronger than some think.

When we first started looking seriously I was somewhat agnostic, the wife doesn't like the 4-door at all. As for practicality, 30 seconds to remove the rear seat in my 2-door gives me plenty of space to haul stuff. Actually that is what sold me as it made the JL 2-door totally livable for my/our use. I understand if folks have kids or need to carry a bunch of stuff, but there are other 4-door off-road capable (depending on your definition) vehicles that do that quite well. The 2-door is unique - or was until the new Bronco. Ok, maybe we include the Suzuki Samurai :)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
All FE’s are gone now. After all these years... they limit something? I want all the features I saw in the advertisements. That’s enough to piss someone off.

Edit: A Badlands is close but loses the special hood and I’m not sure you can get the options separately.
My understanding is that the Wildtrack is the closest just missing the First Edition graphics.

One of the things that pushed me to a Jeep was the extreme aftermarket support there is for virtually every system on the vehicle AND it is one of the last "true" 4x4 vehicles that is not a truck. Time will tell how well Ford does, but if there is not enough aftermarket support for it, it will likely flounder once the initial honeymoon period is over.

The best part is that competition will push FCA to do a few things it may not have done or even considered without said competition. I would be thrilled with a factory twin turbo Pentastar provided they redesign the cooling system to make it less likely to have an issue off-road.

Plant me firmly on the Jeep team.
SEMA is going to be loaded with Bronco parts. The key to keeping the aftermarket going it sales. If a vehicle sells well then aftermarket companies will keep making parts for it. I think Ford working with brands such as Rigid, Method, Fifteen52, and other already is showing that they know the aftermarket is just as important to selling these as the factory features.

Sponsored

dwp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 cherokee
Currently a very happy Jeep owner... but let's see how the two match up in a few years... say 2022/23. Folks jumping ship right now are basically... "Look Shiny Object!".
Or they are basicly fed up with issues with chrysler.... crappy service crappy reliability etc etc.

Is Ford any better... i don't know.

Good thing I'm not in a position to have to (or be able) to choose.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Remember this is Fords 1st crack at this. I have absolutely no doubt that Jeep and Toyota will respond if/ when necessary. They will gauge pre-orders, demographics, age etc and after obtaining whatever necessary data will answer the call in the next gen models. Jeep has enormous brand name recognition, especially with younger buyers. My kids have no clue what a Bronco is, but every single kid in their school knows Jeep and wants one. This is what Ford is up against and it will be a long, uphill battle for them.
First crack? Ford made the Bronco for over 30 years. After looking at the content in yesterday's reveal I'm impressed (and I've NEVER been a blue oval guy). They are going to sell a metric shit-ton of those things. I'm happy to see it as it represents true competition in the market which is good for all of us.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Or they are basicly fed up with issues with chrysler.... crappy service crappy reliability etc etc.

Is Ford any better... i don't know.

Good thing I'm not in a position to have to (or be able) to choose.
I am among those fed up with FCA dealers, but I still love my Wrangler.

I never owned a Ford product before. There’s something about its interiors that turn me off every time.

Given how long it’ll take Ford to start cranking these out, and how much quicker FCA is likely to add a 392 HEMI, I’m more likely to test drive a JL 392 before I do a Bronco.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
That said, in looking at local dealers, most of the 2-doors have been sold and they are sitting on a bunch of 4-doors. So either they ordered wrong or the market for the existing 2-door is stronger than some think.

When we first started looking seriously I was somewhat agnostic, the wife doesn't like the 4-door at all. As for practicality, 30 seconds to remove the rear seat in my 2-door gives me plenty of space to haul stuff. Actually that is what sold me as it made the JL 2-door totally livable for my/our use. I understand if folks have kids or need to carry a bunch of stuff, but there are other 4-door off-road capable (depending on your definition) vehicles that do that quite well. The 2-door is unique - or was until the new Bronco. Ok, maybe we include the Suzuki Samurai :)
The dealerships only order a couple of 2 doors so that they don't have to worry about them just sitting on the lots.
Sponsored