Sponsored

Broken, then stripped diff cover install.

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
So I swapped out the rear diff cover yesterday. All was going well aside of a failed torque wrench. I overtightened a bolt and it snapped. I was fortunate enough that I was able to back out the broken end.
When I put another bolt in and tighten, I starts to get tight and slips a little. So the threads are stripped. The other 11 bolts went in just fine and are good and tight. There are no leaks. Everything seems fine.

That said, this is my 4 month old Rubicon and I am stressing out about this. Logic tells me that it should be fine, but what do you all think?
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
So I swapped out the rear diff cover yesterday. All was going well aside of a failed torque wrench. I overtightened a bolt and it snapped. I was fortunate enough that I was able to back out the broken end.
When I put another bolt in and tighten, I starts to get tight and slips a little. So the threads are stripped. The other 11 bolts went in just fine and are good and tight. There are no leaks. Everything seems fine.

That said, this is my 4 month old Rubicon and I am stressing out about this. Logic tells me that it should be fine, but what do you all think?
Drill it out and use a helicoil thread repair. Done.

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If itā€™s not leaking I would think itā€™s totally fine to drive.

ugh. 4mo oldā€¦.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Just curious. What are the torque values on those bolts. Seems like it would take a ton to snap one of them .

G.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
34 foot pounds.

Yes, I am an idiot. I should have stopped when I was thinking, ā€œthis seems like a lot of arm strength for 34 poundsā€

about the time I thought that, snap.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
If itā€™s not leaking I would think itā€™s totally fine to drive.

ugh. 4mo oldā€¦.
The oil is being thrown off of the gears at a pretty high velocity at highway speeds. If it weren't for that it may never leak with the missing bolt. I've never been one to trust a missing bolt on any oil pan or diff cover because of that.

If you leave cover bolts too loose or missing, a pressure washer can and will push water through to the inside of the diff.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
When I swapā€˜d gears this spring, while putting covers back on using a torque wrench that had recently been calibration checked, I got the sensation that taking those bolts to the specified torque is so close to the what they can take before breaking or stripping.

Anyone else think the torque spec is a bit higher than required?