Stripped Oil Filter Cap

rcgait1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW F80 M3, 2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Performing oil change, could not get get filter cap off. Now the 24mm socket is slipping on the cap nut.
Anyone know what the part number is for the cap.

Also anyone know of an easy way to get the cap to turn so I can remove it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Try using an oil filter tool around the barrel of the cover?

I saw that plastic cover and wondered how long the "nut" was going to last.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I give up on the 2.0. Its drawings are bad.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Strap wrench

If there's enough meat you could have the hex machined one size smaller, easily done w a hex collet block

This reminds me of the stupid plastic bleed screw on the fuel filter housing of the Dmax's....the aftermarket fixed that....would be cool to see someone offer an Al filter housing for the JL.

Sponsored

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Performing oil change, could not get get filter cap off. Now the 24mm socket is slipping on the cap nut.
Anyone know what the part number is for the cap.

Also anyone know of an easy way to get the cap to turn so I can remove it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Vice grips.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Six point socket. Going forward, at least, DEFINITELY use a six point socket. (Not sure if the Ching Chong Store, er, I mean, Harbor Freight, sells them. Might have to refinance your house and buy a Snap-On; but they are the best.) Just remember, the plastic cap saved you 0.0000000021598 MPG over the life of the vehicle (which, I expect on a JL will be about 5 years.)

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Six point socket. Going forward, at least, DEFINITELY use a six point socket. (Not sure if the Ching Chong Store, er, I mean, Harbor Freight, sells them. Might have to refinance your house and buy a Snap-On; but they are the best.) Just remember, the plastic cap saved you 0.0000000021598 MPG over the life of the vehicle (which, I expect on a JL will be about 5 years.)
That’s a lot of stupid in one post.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
That’s a lot of stupid in one post.
Well, the very first part was accurate. Using a six point socket will reduce the likelihood of slipping and rounding the head off significantly.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Now the 24mm socket is slipping on the cap nut.
This is probably the main reason for your troubles, a 15/16" socket is the proper size, no slop w/ that size vs. a 24mm which if the cap has been over-tightened could result in rounding it off.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
This is probably the main reason for your troubles, a 15/16" socket is the proper size, no slop w/ that size vs. a 24mm which if the cap has been over-tightened could result in rounding it off.
Obviously sticking a socket on it is a simple enough test, but what documentation shows this? The owners manual is useless here and I'm not sure anyone has the service manual yet.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Obviously sticking a socket on it is a simple enough test, but what documentation shows this? The owners manual is useless here and I'm not sure anyone has the service manual yet.
Haven't checked documentation, but seeing that plastic bolt head prior to my first DIY change I checked my metric and SAE sets and the 15/16" is a perfect fit, the 24mm had too much slop and wasn't going to risk rounding that off. Also the drain plug is a perfect 1/2" fit and a sloppy 13mm fit.
FWIW I just put the socket sizes on top of my maintenance log sheet for easy reference. And a light 18 ft lbs for the filter cover & 20 ft lbs for drain plug.
This post lists the metric sockets, but go ahead and try both SAE & metric on those next time, I think you'll be shocked!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-instructions-and-pics.3860/page-9#post-96604

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Strap wrench

If there's enough meat you could have the hex machined one size smaller, easily done w a hex collet block

This reminds me of the stupid plastic bleed screw on the fuel filter housing of the Dmax's....the aftermarket fixed that....would be cool to see someone offer an Al filter housing for the JL.
This…and I'd be very carful of not torquing the new one down more then 18/ft-lb in the future.
Sponsored