Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I never got an error or installation progress bar at all. Just frozen on the same screen after initial acceptance to install. Pulled the fuse to the radio to save the battery. If the fuse is placed back, it powers on to the same damn static screen.
Sponsored

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
This over air update was recent, and I'm betting it's affecting a lot of 8.4s. Jeep needs to be aware of it and perhaps issue a recall as people shouldn't have to pay out of pocket if their warranty is up.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Mine is bricked at this screen. Goes to the dealer Wednesday.

FC4C77A1-28C6-4082-8D24-5E220ADC2E09.jpeg
This is odd. Typically if the update fails, it'll tell you it failed and give you an error code. This is just straight up frozen.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yep. Sat over night and never changes.
Short of letting it completely drain the battery, how long have you let it sit for to see if anything happens? And alternatively, have you tried completely killing power across the entire Jeep? Not just yanking the fuse, but disconnecting both batteries for a good 30 minutes and letting both the UConnect and CANBUS reset?

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Short of letting it completely drain the battery, how long have you let it sit for to see if anything happens? And alternatively, have you tried completely killing power across the entire Jeep? Not just yanking the fuse, but disconnecting both batteries for a good 30 minutes and letting both the UConnect and CANBUS reset?
It had an opportunity from about 4PM Saturday night to about 7pm Sunday night to progress. No dice.

I thought about the battery option, but at this point, Iā€™ll let the dealer handle it. Great if a battery disconnect gets it back on track for them. But if not, they can work their magic and fix or replace it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Assuming you mean the radio fuse; that'd be F97 (Radio/TBM), right?
My new uconnect is on order (sometime between 2 days and 4 weeks. I should have a better ideai soon).... I've pulled the fuse to avoid draining the battery.

What is TBM?

Edit: Found it as soon as I posted (Telematics Box Module).

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Finally got it back after two and half weeks of waiting. If anything like this happens again, then I'll consider trading it. I love my JL as much as any Jeeper, but I can't live with poor reliability where something big like this goes wrong over almost nothing. And my factory warranty is up soon.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
This just happened to me too, it went to update on March 22 after I drove it for the first time in a while, error code 20 stuck on the screen (after being on the white screen for a long time). The screen won't turn off, my battery died, and now that I just replaced both batteries it's stuck like everyone else's. Seems like a screwed up Uconnect update went out and Jeep's fault! I did cancel my SiriusXM Guardian in the middle of this after the error started. Will go try the fuse trick. If Jeep doesn't fix it, then maybe it's time to go aftermarket - but don't want to, I paid for a dang 8.4 screen.

Sp1kez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Bought a 2018 JLU Sahara with the 8.4 UConnect

Got home and was promoted to update so I hit yes. Now I'm getting this same error. Tried pulling the F97 fuse but just go back to these 3 screens.

Did you guys get a fix?
Jeep Wrangler JL Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20" 20210524_212002
Jeep Wrangler JL Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20" 20210524_211318
Jeep Wrangler JL Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20" 20210524_211816

Sponsored

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Bought a 2018 JLU Sahara with the 8.4 UConnect

Got home and was promoted to update so I hit yes. Now I'm getting this same error. Tried pulling the F97 fuse but just go back to these 3 screens.

Did you guys get a fix?
The fix for me was a new 8.4 radio. I believe error 20 means the cellular card is out (mentioned somewhere on the board.). Mine lost GPS about an hour before the update so it seemed to be the case for me. Jeep replaced it (4 week wait for a new one here). See if @JeepCares can expedite it.

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Mine bricked last night, error 20. My GPS/Radio worked fine before hand and it worked well enough to download the damn update.

I'm about out of warranty and I can just imagine the argument when the next OTA updated bricks a dash. You cannot opt out of these. All I saw was update or reschedule.

What a hassle.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OTA update completed this AM on my 2018 JL with 8.4. No issues ...all to include ORP seems ok.

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The more I think about it the more it irritates me. Fine, I get the update failed, no big deal, but it's the fact it cannot revert to the old version that gets to me.

And for real, what's going to happen when they push one of these in a year and the car is out of warranty? They should be liable but I can just see dealers refusing to work on them claiming it not a warranty issue.

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Good morning everyone,

We're terribly sorry to hear that the software update may have caused concerns for some of you. If you're currently experiencing concerns with your Uconnect system and would like me to look into your concerns further, please send us a private message.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored