Bogged down in the sand!

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
In a manual I can shift H to L in gear, no neutral if I want to, same way I can shift gears without clutch. Old school.
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
MaxTrax looks awesome. I'll check that out.

4L from the go? I get up to 20mph or so on the beach. Can I go that fast in 4L? I've only tried 4L once I think and I couldn't believe how low it was geared so haven't tried it again.

Is there an air compressor you guys like? How is it powered?
Checkout ExtremeTerrain.com for the Smittybilt air compressors. I keep mine in the back of my Jeep at all times. They run off your battery. The main difference is capacity, which affects how quickly they’ll refill. If you’re on a budget even the cheapest will refill your tires, will just take a bit longer. They start a little under $100.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I live by a beach and never in my life have I used 4lo in it. I rarely even need to air down. That’s one negative about the Rubicon, it’s too specific to rock crawling that your Rubicon has open diffs unless your in 4lo. I believe a flash or programmer can fix that.
I live at the beach too, and I’m amazed at the number of people who buy Rubicons around here. The Sport with Anti-Slip is a far superior Wrangler for the sand.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
I'm in the sand every weekend. 15psi is the trick!

20180707_092719.jpg

*evonol*

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
As another comment, I kept having to remembering when to use neutral and when not to. It finally dawned on me that when shifting from 2H to 4H or back, if you're not spinning any wheels, then everything is spinning at the correct speed to simply slide the gear into and out of the 4 wheel drive ... no neutral shift needed. The manual says: the transfer case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift. Hmmm, I've found mine shifts smoother if I lightly let up on the gas while shifting. YMMV
So I was reading those words in the manual that you typed in italics. I don't feel that I 100% understand what that means. To me it sounds like you can go from 4H to 4L without having to "stop" and "wait" in neutral - more like slide into 4L. But I dont know how the release of the accelorator plays a role in helping the transfer go smoother.

Reactions: Ick

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
So I was reading those words in the manual that you typed in italics. I don't feel that I 100% understand what that means. To me it sounds like you can go from 4H to 4L without having to "stop" and "wait" in neutral - more like slide into 4L. But I dont know how the release of the accelorator plays a role in helping the transfer go smoother.
2H to 4H ... all you are doing is engaging and disengaging the front axle from the power-train ... no neutral needed
Within the transfer case, the input from the rear axles and front axles are turning at the same speed when going down the trail in a straight line. So, engaging the front axle (going from 2H to 4H) is a simple matter of engaging a gear that is already turning at the correct speed. No shifting into neutral needed. A light let off of the throttle will help to take the load off the gearing and make the shift a little smoother. Thus, simply shift back and forth between 2H and 4H any speed without shifting into neutral.

4H to 4L ... you are changing the speed ratio between the engine and the tires ... neutral necessary
You are effectively doing something that is akin to shifting gears in your Volkswagen Bug transmission. Going from 4H to 4L is effectively "shifting down" on the gears in your Bug transmission. You have to go through neutral and change the engine speed to get a smooth shift on your Bug. In the Jeep, you are recreating this process by shifting into neutral, changing the gears (4H to 4L), and then shifting out of neutral. In the Jeep, I find it most effective to be going as slowly as possible to reduce the need for an engine speed change. Try stopping on a slight slope, let off the brake, and then, go through the shift process as the Jeep begins to move ... you will experience the euphoria of a no grind shift and be a convert for life!

In short ... H-to-H doesn't require neutral H-to-L requires neutral ... during any shifting, a slight let off of the throttle will unload the gear train and make the shifting go smoother.

Clear or muddy explanation?

Reactions: TMP

*evonol*

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
In the Jeep, you are recreating this process by shifting into neutral, changing the gears (4H to 4L), and then shifting out of neutral.
Shifting into neutral within the transmission/gear box or shifting into neutral through the transfer case?

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I just got home from Sand Hollow in St. George Utah. Some very big sand dunes with deep, loose powder sand. The first night I did not air down with my 2020 JLUR with the 3.6. It also dug down and bogged quite a bit. Even with traction control off it cut the power a LOT! The second day I aired down and it was a night and day difference. It still would cut power from time to time ( same thing happened to the other JLUR with me) but it was better.

I think with the JL, unless you pull a fuse or have a programmer there is no way to fully disable all the electronic assists, and that makes it feel like you lose power. There is another video about "drifting" a JL where they did disable everything and it made a huge difference.

0D345C10-86A8-46AC-8C6D-A2716C922941.jpeg

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
4H and 15 psi - rhymes and will keep you all good on sand. I've never messed with the traction control or anything and I've been fine. 4H and 15 psi.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
4Lo and start in 3rd, run through 6th. Don't be afraid to keep the rpm boiling. Airing down helps tremendously but I usually don't (too lazy to air back up) and I haven't got stuck even on soft dunes.

TMP

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
2H to 4H ... all you are doing is engaging and disengaging the front axle from the power-train ... no neutral needed
Within the transfer case, the input from the rear axles and front axles are turning at the same speed when going down the trail in a straight line. So, engaging the front axle (going from 2H to 4H) is a simple matter of engaging a gear that is already turning at the correct speed. No shifting into neutral needed. A light let off of the throttle will help to take the load off the gearing and make the shift a little smoother. Thus, simply shift back and forth between 2H and 4H any speed without shifting into neutral.

4H to 4L ... you are changing the speed ratio between the engine and the tires ... neutral necessary
You are effectively doing something that is akin to shifting gears in your Volkswagen Bug transmission. Going from 4H to 4L is effectively "shifting down" on the gears in your Bug transmission. You have to go through neutral and change the engine speed to get a smooth shift on your Bug. In the Jeep, you are recreating this process by shifting into neutral, changing the gears (4H to 4L), and then shifting out of neutral. In the Jeep, I find it most effective to be going as slowly as possible to reduce the need for an engine speed change. Try stopping on a slight slope, let off the brake, and then, go through the shift process as the Jeep begins to move ... you will experience the euphoria of a no grind shift and be a convert for life!

In short ... H-to-H doesn't require neutral H-to-L requires neutral ... during any shifting, a slight let off of the throttle will unload the gear train and make the shifting go smoother.

Clear or muddy explanation?
Awesome explanation, thanks for that!
The other day, I was slowly rolling on a slight slope and was able to shift into 4L with no grinding whatsoever. It really was euphoric!
Sponsored