Sponsored

Blind Spot detection: is it useless or am I missing something?

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
I do think some are missing the point. It is a safety feature to warn you if you should miss something. I do not believe it was ever intended to replace watching where you are going. Who hasn't started changing lanes to all of a sudden notice a vehicle was there.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I do think some are missing the point. It is a safety feature to warn you if you should miss something. I do not believe it was ever intended to replace watching where you are going. Who hasn't started changing lanes to all of a sudden notice a vehicle was there.
I think this is where we are all going with this :like:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You sure about that? I reread #25.
I suspect that you are referring to this statement: "And on occasion I have still started to change lanes before without fully checking and been surprised to find a vehicle there. "

I took that as Chocolate Thunder admitting that he occasionally is inattentive - not that he uses the nanny in lieu of visually checking. He is simply stating that he is human.

The only drivers using technology to warn them in lieu of their eyes are submariners.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Where is this "I never rely on..." coming from? Reread Posts #23 and #25. There is NO ONE on God's green earth who is simply following the indicators without visually looking first.
I don't think you know people very well. Most car owners do not read the owner's manual to even know how the safety systems work and what their limitations are. Look at the videos you see of Tesla drivers that think their Autopilot setting means they can sleep or read while the car is heading down the road. Or that don't know it does not work for cross traffic, even if a semi turns in front of them so they don't brake and get killed. It will get worse as more "automated" systems come on board.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Or that don't know it does not work for cross traffic, even if a semi turns in front of them so they don't brake and get killed.
You think that people are purposing ignoring what they see with their eyes, and allowing the technology alone to save their lives? Really? You truly believe this or are you merely being provocative?

Here is the scenario that threatens to bite me. I'm anxious to change lanes, a pickup truck is passing me on the left, I wait for them to pass, and I begin to change lanes. That's when I realize that the truck is pulling a 20' long landscaping trailer. Ouch! [actually, almost ouch. Haven't been hit yet, but close]

Last edited:

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Where is this "I never rely on..." coming from? Reread Posts #23 and #25. There is NO ONE on God's green earth who is simply following the indicators without visually looking
Where is this "I never rely on..." coming from? Reread Posts #23 and #25. There is NO ONE on God's green earth who is simply following the indicators without visually looking first.
I will stick with exactly what I said.
"I" would never rely on a little orange light or a beep to tell me if it's safe to change lanes or not."
Never said anything about what other people do or shouldn't do. Nothing about what's right or wrong. To each their own.
BE WELL.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You think that people are purposing ignoring what they see with their eyes, and allowing the technology alone to save their lives? Really? You truly believe this or are you merely being provocative?
It has resulted in the deaths of some Tesla drivers. Don't you watch the news? Maybe you could see that NOT everyone pays attention to their driving because they are texting, reading, etc. The other day I was next to a driver that had her phone in one hand and writing with the other while weaving between lanes at 45 mph. What would her eyes see? Open yours.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will stick with exactly what I said.
"I" would never rely on a little orange light or a beep to tell me if it's safe to change lanes or not."
Never said anything about what other people do or shouldn't do. Nothing about what's right or wrong. To each their own.
BE WELL.
To each their own? Ever had someone die in your arms after slamming into the back of a stopped semi trailer at 65 mph, his face smashed in. And his drunk brother that was driving only had bumps and bruises. People get hurt by other people driving stupidly. Would a safety system have helped him, maybe. Sober, attentive driving would have for sure.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To each their own? Ever had someone die in your arms after slamming into the back of a stopped semi trailer at 65 mph, his face smashed in. And his drunk brother that was driving only had bumps and bruises. People get hurt by other people driving stupidly. Would a safety system have helped him, maybe. Sober, attentive driving would have for sure.
Perfect example of a situation where safety technology may have saved a life. Sorry about your friend.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect example of a situation where safety technology may have saved a life. Sorry about your friend.
Wasn't my friend. I was a deputy sheriff and came on the wreck seconds after it happened. One of many I worked that taught me a lot of people do not pay attention to driving. And if we become dependent on technology, all of which have limitations as I and others have pointed out, more and more people will lose what driving skills they have.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Where did you come up with the idea that I said a safety systems don't help?
I believe they do. But not to solely rely on them to change lanes.
BE WELL

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...It does scare me... drivers I see are so balls deep into their phones...
So true!!! Old or young, man or woman, too many people have one hand on their steering wheel, the other on their phone and their eyes averted between the phone and the road. They are horribly DISTRACTED.

I wouldn’t be surprised if these are the same people who claim their Jeep doesn’t steer straight. LOL Safety systems are great to have in vehicles and they are a welcome addition since they’re designed to help protect us but they are by no means a substitution for an attentive driver.

It shouldn’t be that difficult for people to put down their phones, be attentive and just drive. Sorry to rant - your post was spot on and got me fired up! :clap:

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
If I remember well Yul Brynner took that coffin all the way up to the cemetery without any blind spot detection system when he was watching all those guns aimed at him atop the rooftops

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Boy, a lot of testy people in this thread.
When I had my JK I found myself leaning forward in my seat to make sure there wasn’t a vehicle beside me. I even installed the round spot mirrors. With the JL I’ll still do a little lean forward and check but I allow the little yellow triangle to substitute spot mirrors.
The light is just an extra aid. I’d never just see that the light is off and change lanes.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...I was a deputy sheriff and came on the wreck seconds after it happened...
Anyone who has ever worked in law enforcement knows of all the many horrors seen that can never be unseen. Automobile accidents are never pretty but being the first responding officer to the scene of a fatal accident is worse. My first fatal traffic scene as a rookie out of the academy is forever burned in my mind. It never gets better with time. If there is one takeaway to anyone reading this, please slow down, be attentive and understand that you are not invincible and the fancy tech in your vehicle does not excuse you to ever be any less attentive. Thank you.
Sponsored