Sponsored

Rubicon LED with NO Blind Spot Detection Question

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I'll post this to save anyone else the aggravation and money....

I tried…. No success. A lot of money wasted.... I knew the parts needed before getting into this, I knew what was missing - including wiring. Dealer was of no value btw... Except when they said "can't be done....thousand of dollars" Not right on the thousands of dollars part, but maybe right - BCM or some such module needs to updated. Yes, I have a Tazer JL.

1. Tail lights - you need to have LED lights before proceeding. You'll need to add the radar module, bracket, harness, All of this bolts right up, plugs right in. Main body harness wires ARE present. The new tail light harness brings/connects the radar modules to main harness (obviously via the main tail light connection) This will cost PER tail light: Radar $138; Bracket $4, Harness $28

2. Main door harness... Unless you have proximity locks, and that still is not a guaranty - you will need to upgrade your door harnesses. $44 per door. I had to decode the options codes at Tech Authority to figure out... BTW, this also adds the mirror turn signal wire... This job is, eh, somewhat difficult... The real pi$$ser is the next job - one I though would be easy!

3. Mirror jumpers/mirrors : You need to upgrade the jumper that goes from the door harness to the mirror. Thought it would be easy. Nope! Must be put in early, before the regulator or something... Basically I had to remove the pins from the new harness (yes, I kept track of where they went, took pictures, and had the connector/wiring diagram...) I then used the old harness to pull the wire just far enough to grab, I then put the pins back. Tested mirror operation - THEN I had to cut the other connector end of the old connector so I could pull it through (I fiddled with the pins for like an hour trying to save it, its different than the other end...)
Jumpers are about $14 per side

Mirrors - you can buy mirrors with just BSM or BSM AND turn signals. These will be euro spec - which I like because of their concavity. Great visibility.
Mirrors are $150 per side...

Make sure fuse is good/present. F61 - it was already there.

THEN….

Use your Tazer JL to enable BSM. And.... drum roll.... you get nothing. Except an error. "Blind Spot Alert Unavailable Service Needed".... I was expecting the BSM option in Tazer JL to make the BSM setting visible on the radio - similar to what it does for the Aux switches.... It does not.

Lots of money for nothing... well I got the turn signal mirrors....

To answer the $100,000 ($700) question.... "Why didn't I just order one with this?" I didn't order my JL, took it off the lot, had most options I wanted.

I did not go into this blind. I read the operations manual on tech authority, I reviewed the wiring diagrams, I carefully analyzed the needed parts, I I looked at was on my vehicle already....

I did contact @joe@zauto to see if he has any thoughts...

So bottom line.. Unless Zautomotive has a firmware update or something, Don't bother....
That sucks it didn’t end up working out, I know how you feel. Side note though..could you take pics of your mirrors? I was thinking about ordering some and haven’t really seen many pictures of them up close. Thanks!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

I tried…. No success. A lot of money wasted.... I knew the parts needed before getting into this, I knew what was missing - including wiring. Dealer was of no value btw... Except when they said "can't be done....thousand of dollars" Not right on the thousands of dollars part, but maybe right - BCM or some such module needs to updated. Yes, I have a Tazer JL.

1. Tail lights - you need to have LED lights before proceeding. You'll need to add the radar module, bracket, harness, All of this bolts right up, plugs right in. Main body harness wires ARE present. The new tail light harness brings/connects the radar modules to main harness (obviously via the main tail light connection) This will cost PER tail light: Radar $138; Bracket $4, Harness $28

2. Main door harness... Unless you have proximity locks, and that still is not a guaranty - you will need to upgrade your door harnesses. $44 per door. I had to decode the options codes at Tech Authority to figure out... BTW, this also adds the mirror turn signal wire... This job is, eh, somewhat difficult... The real pi$$ser is the next job - one I though would be easy!

3. Mirror jumpers/mirrors : You need to upgrade the jumper that goes from the door harness to the mirror. Thought it would be easy. Nope! Must be put in early, before the regulator or something... Basically I had to remove the pins from the new harness (yes, I kept track of where they went, took pictures, and had the connector/wiring diagram...) I then used the old harness to pull the wire just far enough to grab, I then put the pins back. Tested mirror operation - THEN I had to cut the other connector end of the old connector so I could pull it through (I fiddled with the pins for like an hour trying to save it, its different than the other end...)

Mirrors - you can buy mirrors with just BSM or BSM AND turn signals. These will be euro spec - which I like because of their concavity. Great visibility.

THEN….

Use your Tazer JL to enable BSM. And.... drum roll.... you get nothing. Except an error. "Blind Spot Alert Unavailable Service Needed".... I was expecting the BSM option in Tazer JL to make the BSM setting visible on the radio - similar to what it does for the Aux switches.... It does not.

To answer the $100,000 ($700) question.... "Why didn't I just order one with this?" I didn't order my JL, took it off the lot, had most options I wanted.

I did not go into this blind. I read the operations manual on tech authority, I reviewed the wiring diagrams, I carefully analyzed the needed parts, I I looked at was on my vehicle already....

So bottom line.. Unless Zautomotive has a firmware update or something, Don't bother....
You added the euro spec mirrors?

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Technician
That could be a cool upgrade later if the mirrors get cheap.
Do you happen to know the part number to the bsm mirrors I’m looking to upgrade I have 2019 Sahara with led taillights

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Technician
Do you happen to know the part number to the bsm mirrors I’m looking to upgrade I have 2019 Sahara with led taillights
oh yes it will. I’m in no rush by next year who knows what after market plug and play they will have The Chinese are always up to something lol

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Granite Mettalic

THEN….

Did you contact @scott Blum? Not sure he is on here but is on many of the JL facebook groups. He works at Jeep. I was asking about the door harnesses because I had plans to get a spare set to jumper the bsm wiring when doors are off and he said there is a doors off module in there as well as the bsm signal wire. Maybe that is what your missing since bsm won't work with doors off?

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My bsm works with doors off
Not unless you modified something. There is circuit to detect doors off in the harness that shuts off BSM.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Did you contact @scott Blum? Not sure he is on here but is on many of the JL facebook groups. He works at Jeep. I was asking about the door harnesses because I had plans to get a spare set to jumper the bsm wiring when doors are off and he said there is a doors off module in there as well as the bsm signal wire. Maybe that is what your missing since bsm won't work with doors off?
Nope. I spent at lot of time on Tech Authority, reviewed the system operation and wiring diagrams. I don't believe there is a sensor module, just a wire that detects that door off. If you have the right harness, the wires are there.

Also, the radar signals go through the star connector. These are not present, and you would have to replace the main body harness to have them - or - as I did buy the connectors and run to taillight connector. Same for the turn indicator light on the mirror, yeah the upgraded door harnesses will have it but the main body harness does not.

I did all of this and then had a beta test firmware version from the Taser folks. No go. If someone can do all this and get it working, I'll eat my words, but right now I consider this "not happening".

Sponsored

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. I spent at lot of time on Tech Authority, reviewed the system operation and wiring diagrams. I don't believe there is a sensor module, just a wire that detects that door off. If you have the right harness, the wires are there.

Also, the radar signals go through the star connector. These are not present, and you would have to replace the main body harness to have them - or - as I did buy the connectors and run to taillight connector. Same for the turn indicator light on the mirror, yeah the upgraded door harnesses will have it but the main body harness does not.

I did all of this and then had a beta test firmware version from the Taser folks. No go. If someone can do all this and get it working, I'll eat my words, but right now I consider this "not happening".
Wow, that sucks. Can you let me know the part number for the door harnesses you bought? I actually have BSM from the factory, I just want a spare harness to get the BSM working with doors off.

cdavison82

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, 100%stock
That's physically impossible but ok. The circuit is broken with doors off, it cannot work. The signal that comes from the BSM at the tail light passes through the doors to the BSM indicator light, with that door not present the signal is broken.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I completely agree with you but that's what happened lol :)

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m really upset I did t add BSM to my build, I thought it would be more trouble but now I’m regretting not ordering it in my Rubi is already done. Oh well maybe next time

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
I was hoping mine wouldn't come with those tail lights as well! I was confused when my Jeep showed up with them installed.
I've had two of my wheeling buddies damage their JK taillights which I don't recall sticking out nearly as far.
I hate the size of the LED taillights. I had no plans on getting the LED package so I didn't research them. I ended up get a great deal on a Rubicon that had the LED package. I can stand by the front fender and see the taillight. Stupid. It should be like that on a Jeep.
It there a after-market company that makes smaller tail lights?
Sponsored