Sponsored

Best sounding Cold Air Intake??

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I believe Mopar has the only true CAI engineered for a JL and DanW is correct about the filter options.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best sounding Cold Air Intake?? Mopar hood CAI 2

I installed a Mopar system:whatsgoingon: Pay no attention to my raised hood hinges that is for venting underhood heat which it does very well. I am not advocating installing a aftermarket air intake system or making claims of power, MPG or noise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So really, it is down to the sound as the only real benefit. So I'd run the Mopar, if I did one, and I'd run the paper filter. But that stock intake had a great deal of engineering put into it not just for air flow, but air entry that is optimized for both cool air and off-road conditions. It really does it all. High flow, quiet/smooth NVH, protects from water ingestion, and brings cool air from the grille, and with a good paper filter, offers excellent air filtration. My last oil run included a trip to Moab with much driving through massive dust. A paper Carquest filter (I believe the same filter as Mopar) was up to the task. I just changed the oil and sent it for analysis. It indicated insolubles to be as low as any street driving I've done. That's impressive.
But some of the CAI's really bring the music out of the 3.6, so I get why folks love them. I did an axle-back Magnaflow exhaust for that very purpose. Haven't seen a downside to that route to good sound.

I'd love to get an opportunity to hear a couple different makes of CAI, including the Mopar.

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
I agree.

The Mopar CAI allows for use of a stock paper filter. You'd still get the sound, but not risk the engine. You could run the cloth filter for street driving and paper when in dusty or off-road conditions.

As for hp/mpg, one might actually lose a bit, as the stock setup leaves virtually nothing to be gained. From a Stellantis engineer who designed the Pentastar: You'll gain more by running premium fuel in the 3.6, which is about a whopping 3 horsepower.

So really, it is down to the sound as the only real benefit. So I'd run the Mopar, if I did one, and I'd run the paper filter.
when I did the Banks CAI and Banks cat back…I got about 2mpg more on my JK. It was a bit more responsive but that was It….a bit.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Learning a lot. Only the Cat-Back for me.

G.

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
when I did the Banks CAI and Banks cat back…I got about 2mpg more on my JK. It was a bit more responsive but that was It….a bit.
I have the banks CAI on my JL, it is without a doubt the best sounding CAI in the market and I would recommend 10/10

Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
I have the banks CAI on my JL, it is without a doubt the best sounding CAI in the market and I would recommend 10/10
All that Banks stuff is quality. I wish they made a car back for the JL.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All that Banks stuff is quality. I wish they made a car back for the JL.
I agree. Gale Banks is one of my heroes in the industry. If I were into a CAI, his would be the one. I also agree and would love to see them make a JL exhaust.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Sound aside, how do you handle all that extra horse power? Traction bars? 🤣🤣🤣

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
the K&N oiled setups sound the best when they get all gummed up and clogged.

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having trouble finding a Banks CAI for my 2019 JL. Is it JK only?

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As for hp/mpg, one might actually lose a bit, as the stock setup leaves virtually nothing to be gained. From a Stellantis engineer who designed the Pentastar: You'll gain more by running premium fuel in the 3.6, which is about a whopping 3 horsepower.
Pentstar engines where developed by FCA, long before Stellantis existed. Where did you find/read that any engineer said, 3 hp gain running premium fuel. Or you might loose hp/mpg with aftermarket AI/CAI.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
If we are talking Chrysler/Stellantis engineers, they too design the Mopar Performance CAI. Seems to me if you all say the stock was designed to be the best, why in the world would they go and design a Performance CAI too? 🤔 I'm sure it's all too do with a "fool and his money".

I personally like the Mopar Performance the best. Still has the stock lower box. Larger and smoother box lid. Keeps stock filter (easily find a filter at local auto parts). Removes the hemorrhoid looking air boxes on the inlet tubing. Increase the tubing diameter.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I personally like the Mopar Performance the best. Still has the stock lower box. Larger and smoother box lid. Keeps stock filter (easily find a filter at local auto parts). Removes the hemorrhoid looking air boxes on the inlet tubing. Increase the tubing diameter.
Most importantly to me is it's one of the few true outside air intake systems(CAI).
Banks makes the claim,"increases airflow while reducing intake air temperatures." How is that done with underhood air. haha

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pentstar engines where developed by FCA, long before Stellantis existed. Where did you find/read that any engineer said, 3 hp gain running premium fuel. Or you might loose hp/mpg with aftermarket AI/CAI.
Straight from an engineer who was on the original design team. I believe he is still there, so now he's a Stellantis engineer. I originally thought he moved on, but I sense he's still there. He doesn't say because I don't think he wants to be seen as speaking for the company. He was not, however, on the Pentastar upgrade team but knows the folks who are. He's very knowledgeable of the evolution and changes to this engine. He loves the engine and loves to talk about it and answer questions. If he doesn't know something about our engines, he finds the answers very quickly. I can tell you that exhaust/CAI/catch can fans don't like most of what he says about them. On the other hand, he says they do no harm, except for sometimes actually reducing power (one makes of CAI). I wound up buying a Magnaflow axle back, anyway, because it made the engine sound better, which made it more fun. Which is the whole point of a Jeep to me, anyway, lol.
Sponsored