Sponsored

Best Level 2 Charger

wubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 LBP S2000, '23 Rubicon 4xe
Looking to buy the best level 2 charger. Need one that has relatively the quickest charge and also weatherproof/resistant (will be charged on the driveway).
Sponsored

ahmoba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
This is what I installed:
ClipperCreek HCS-40, 32 Amp, Level 2 EVSE, 240V, Hardwired
https://store.clippercreek.com/hcs-40-hcs-40p-ev-charging-station

In order to be approved for some local CA incentives, I had to choose between the "approved" ones, and this one was on top of the list. I am very happy with it. It charges my 4xe in about 2 hours.

It is outdoor rated, but I installed it inside my garage.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to buy the best level 2 charger. Need one that has relatively the quickest charge and also weatherproof/resistant (will be charged on the driveway).
The charger is built into the jeep. The thing you install at your home is an EVSE, which is basically an extension cord with some safety relays built in. The speed at which you charge is determined by the power available from your electrical panel, the rating for the outlets and wiring, and the logic the jeep's onboard charger uses (battery temp, state of charge, etc.). The jeep's charger can max out at 32 amps at 240V AC. Because of safety margins and efficiency losses, you'd want an EVSE rated for 40A on a 240V circuit breaker rated for 50A, either hard wired in or using a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet. You can install something bigger but the jeep won't be able to take advantage of it, will still be limited to 32A.

It won't make it any faster, but having a "smart" charger with wifi and an app to monitor usage and schedule charging may be an advantage.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I went with the Grizzl-E Classic with a NEMA 6-50 plug. Works great. NEMA 4 weatherproof rating. Simple but nice UL listed unit. Has dip switches to adjust output from 16, 24, 32, and 40 amps.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, that's what I got too! Super robust cables and build quality. Zero issues.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Are there any of these 240 chargers that are just plug in play. I have a 240 plug in my garage.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
I just bought an Emporia 48V unit. It's NEMA type 4 (important for outdoor use). UL, CSA and Energy Star certified/ listed. I have not installed it yet so I don't have any real world feedback but reviews I've read are generally very positive. Good price @ $399. Virginia isn't too bad weather wise but if I were looking for an outdoor unit (mine will in the garage) where I am (NH), I might have gone with the Grizzl-E.
Sponsored