Best level 1 outdoor rated charger?

Jfk3674

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE Rubicon
I’m trying to find a level one charger that can be used outdoor for when I am traveling. I’d like to have one just to leave in the car and have it if I find a random plug in a parking lot. Most seem like they are only indoor rated.
Sponsored

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
Is the MOPAR one that comes with the Jeep not approved for outdoor use? I must've missed that in the manual...

OP
OP
Jfk3674

Jfk3674

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used it outdoor this weekend w/o even thinking if it was rated for outdoor use. It seemed to do fine. But it wasn't raining or anything.

Sponsored

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Is there an issue with using the factory included charger while parked outside? I’ve been doing it for a month or so.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
The manual seems to mainly focus on ensuring the J1772 connector is kept clean and does not have water pouring on it. It does mention that the charger's enclosure is NEMA 6 rated and refers to the charging cord as "indoor/outdoor."

Honestly I think the OP's use case sounds like the exact use case the Jeep charger was made for. I would recommend checking out the 4xe manual supplement to double check the info vs. your situation. Pages 10 & 11 in particular are what I think you're looking for.

OP
OP
Jfk3674

Jfk3674

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up with this one. I went into a rabbit hole of looking them up and bought that one. Tried it last night and all worked well. And the case fits perfectly in the storage area.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
NEMA 6 rated
Nema 6 is equivalent to IP67 which allows for the enclosure to be submerged in water for 30 minutes.

Enclosures like the grizzle unit, which is designed and tested for extreme weather, is only nema 4 rated.

I personally would have no qualms with using the factory evse outside. You'd want to protect the wall outlet like any other thing plugged in outside in inclement weather, but beyond that, I wouldn't be concerned.

Sponsored

SilentJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
How long is the charging cable that comes with the 4xe? Does anyone leave it outside on a regular basis?

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
How long is the charging cable that comes with the 4xe? Does anyone leave it outside on a regular basis?
My outlet on the on the side of my house is not protected, the charging “block” is sitting in a mulch bed, the charging connector I just throw in the grass next to my driveway. It’s rained about 20 times since I bought my 4xe, Never had a problem with anything. I just blow in the connecter like a nintendo game before i plug it in.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Jeep should have really built the Level one into the vehicle, and provided a cable to plug it in, nothing prevents someone from stealing the provided level one charger, one of the reasons I have never tried using mine.

The brick part of the charger could have been bolted on to the engine bay somewhere, then all you needed to do was plug into the wall, like a engine heater, and the other end plug it into the charging port
Sponsored