Sponsored

Best level 1 outdoor rated charger?

Dabrakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Used the Jeep stock charger outside for the first couple months of ownership. MY only outlet although bubble protected was around the back side of the house from the driveway. Got a 12 guage extension and build a box for the brick. Box is water tight but with cable holes for cable entry and exit through the sides (slit to the top edge so can get cables in and out). In case any water finds an entry to it there are a few water exit holes drilled in the bottom. Sits on cedar legs. Worked great even in heavy rains.

Have a Grizzly level 2 now but I throw this box in the back whenever going on a trip.
Jeep Wrangler JL Best level 1 outdoor rated charger? 20220826_125134
Sponsored

SilentJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Jeep should have really built the Level one into the vehicle, and provided a cable to plug it in, nothing prevents someone from stealing the provided level one charger, one of the reasons I have never tried using mine.

The brick part of the charger could have been bolted on to the engine bay somewhere, then all you needed to do was plug into the wall, like a engine heater, and the other end plug it into the charging port
I imagine this is not done to avoid the liability of people using cheap extention cords not rated for 12A continous use. Especially a few years down the line when it's a second owner that may not know as much about the PHEVs and charging.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I imagine this is not done to avoid the liability of people using cheap extention cords not rated for 12A continous use. Especially a few years down the line when it's a second owner that may not know as much about the PHEVs and charging.
They could have easily put a "contains hot liquids" label like McDonald's to avoid liability

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Hmm would that work with having a J1772 connector though? Doesn't there need to be at least some external smarts that provide signals to the other pins? I don't know exactly how that works, but I think there's more to it than just hot/neutral/ground.

SilentJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Hmm would that work with having a J1772 connector though? Doesn't there need to be at least some external smarts that provide signals to the other pins? I don't know exactly how that works, but I think there's more to it than just hot/neutral/ground.
There are extra pins in the EVSE for this, but this could be built into the car if desired. However there are many good reasons to keep it outside the car and use a J1772 instead of a 3 prong plug (ease of replacement, ability to use a variety of EVSE at different amps, less weight in the vehicle to name a few) so I think Jeep (and most EVs) made the right choice with the design.

Pretty good video on how they work:

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
There are extra pins in the EVSE for this, but this could be built into the car if desired. However there are many good reasons to keep it outside the car and use a J1772 instead of a 3 prong plug (ease of replacement, ability to use a variety of EVSE at different amps, less weight in the vehicle to name a few) so I think Jeep (and most EVs) made the right choice with the design.

Pretty good video on how they work:
Ah ok. Yeah being able to work with the majority of existing charging infrastructure does seem like a good reason to go the way they went. I guess it's a balancing act.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The level 1 charger can work on probably all EV, when plugged in, it's unsecured for hours, anyone can steal it and sell it for a few dollars, it's one of the reasons I don't bother using it.

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
There is zero need for a weather proof box box.

The oem one does not give AF where you leave it.
I was thinking of ways to secure the charger to the fence or rail at work so that it doesn't walk away. Having the charger in a box might be handy.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I was thinking of ways to secure the charger to the fence or rail at work so that it doesn't walk away. Having the charger in a box might be handy.
Padlock

nobody is going to steal it if they have to cut the cable to get it.

well actually I suppose a scrapper might

Roadrunner71

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
I’ve used my Jeep provided L1 charger with a 100 foot outdoor rated extension cord for about 3 months. No issues so far. Since I live in a townhouse and the cord has to run over the sidewalk I take it off and put it under cover when the charge is complete. (I bought a safety cover on Amazon so it’s not a trip hazard). It has charged in the rain a few times.
Sponsored