Sponsored

Basic Mods for “easy” off-roading

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I had a stock LJ (only switched to AT tires of same stock size) and went on a lot of great trails around the Colorado Rockies (Engineer Pass, Stony Pass, Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, Yankee Boy Basin, etc.).
We did all of these years ago in my wife's stock WJ, and I think the WJ with solid axles, good ground clearance and good angles was almost as good as a stock JLU. But those trails did not tax the WJ at all, like driving down a country road.

My JLU Sport has the stock Goodyear Kevlars on it. The only reason I considered changing to KO2 was to get a little more traction and a little more durability. Maybe there isn't that much difference, I just don't know. I haven't found any Rubi takeoffs yet so my next trip to high trails in Colorado may still be on the Kevlars.

Likewise I don't know what the limit in capability is between the Sport and Rubicon but I thought I could get by with the Sport for what I want to do in Colorado and Utah.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
All of these suggestions are awesome please keep them coming....

Obviously tires are key based on everyone's opinions...

My Jeep came stock with Bridgestone Dueler A/T 255/70R18...will these do the trick or do you all suggest something else?

Kevin
They will do just fine. Drive them and see how you like them. As you wish to drive other trails that might be a bit more challenging, you may wish to Get something like a Rubi takeoff KO2. They can be found for about $200 mounted on Rubi takeoff rims. get 5. For roughly $1000-$1200 you can get a whole new look for your jeep And some new capabilities.

but, my advice: use those Duelers for a while and see what you like and don’t like about them. Of course, if you just don’t like the way they look, period, feel free to trade them out immediately! Your Jeep, your money, your decision. Good Luck!

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Love the comment on the look...I always look to improve the look...gotta watch the budget...but new tires/wheels are always exciting...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@rogueknb

one thing you might consider posting here is your “initial” mod budget. If you plan on spending $10k in the first 2 months of ownership, that is a lot different than spending $500..... and the things to do are much different.

do you have $1k for Rubi takeoff wheels and another grand for an air compressor and safety gear? And another grand for other “stuff”? $3k total? Or do you only have $1500?

that would help some of us narrow down what we would buy and hence, be able to make a more refined recommendation.

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another Great Suggestion...I would like to spend between $5-$7.5K....

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Air down its free. Carry some type of shovel. Also a tire plug kit and a 12v air compressor.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Ok here is what I would do then (others will have different ideas which are equally correct):

1) buy the “recovery” stuff that I mentioned previously. That’s about $1k
2) get a set of rock rails/frame mounted steps. $800. LOD or Roam makes Some good looking versions. I have the roam frame mounted step sliders and love them. Find a style that you like. Rip those plastic steps OFF, now.
3) creature comforts: phone holders, molle bags, storage, etc...... $500
4) trail lights $1,000 ( light bar or cubes/ovals) Including harness and mounts.
5) some kind of bull bar ($200)to mount on your bumper — I’m assuming that you got a steel bumper..... (did you get the steel bumpers?..... if not, do you want steel bumpers.......???? can’t do a winch without it, I think).

so you are now at about $3500.......

if you don’t have a steel front bumper, I would add that at some point...... call it $800+ for one you like

call it now about $4500.

tired of those Duelers? $1200 for Rubi takeoff tires and rims. = $5700

Want a nice rear steel modular bumper? LOD — lots of Goodies to add to it —- call it $1600. Total $7300

now, your Jeep,is utterly functional. No winch yet but that’s ok For now. With the safety gear I suggested (oh, add a fire extinguisher by Element —- and a tire plug kit as mentioned above) you can get un-stuck (mostly) and You also look bad ass and will be and absolute Chick Magnet or the Coolest Married Dad on the block (Not both) Or the best Dad and 8-year old could have.

‘Enjoy.

edit: you will,probably never need a winch..... until you do....THEN you NEED one. I want to buy one but then I don’t and then I do. I likely will never need one for the stuff I do.....until it’s absolutely a must have or walk 10 miles...... other than the weight and the cost, no downside to having it....other than the weight and the cost. Did I mention weight and cost? Oh, and you absolutely don’t need it until you absolutely need it....... decisions decisions,..... LOL

now, did we talk about bicycle carriers yet? Roof racks? Tailgate tables? Interior racks/shelves (Texas metal works, FYI). The list goes on and on and on....... and I didn’t even mention a $2k lift and the Bestop Sunrider for $800.

sheesh, I need a cheaper hobby.... maybe I’ll bu a boat (LOL)....

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a big budget.

You can do a LOT with $5,000:
  • 2-inch lift, installed - $2,000
  • 34-inch tires on factory wheels - $1,500
  • Factory tires - ($500; Craigslist)
  • Steel bumper - $1,000
  • 10,000 lb winch - $1,000
  • Portable air compressor - $75
  • Folding shovel - $25
  • Recovery rope - $50
And you will have a rig that will take you through 99% of the trails out there —and back!

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a big budget.

You can do a LOT with $5,000:
  • 2-inch lift, installed - $2,000
  • 34-inch tires on factory wheels - $1,500
  • Factory tires - ($500; Craigslist)
  • Steel bumper - $1,000
  • 10,000 lb winch - $1,000
  • Portable air compressor - $75
  • Folding shovel - $25
  • Recovery rope - $50
And you will have a rig that will take you through 99% of the trails out there —and back!
Appreciate the shopping list..I have been waiting three years to start this!!!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Tires and a winch... tires are so subjective. some people can't stand any tire noise and anything less than a pedestrian tire makes them want to sell the vehicle...

If you think you can deal with a mud terrain tire.. get mud terrain (MT) tires and a winch.. done. Tackle Colorado, or Oregon, or whatever state.

A fire extinguisher and really good medical kit.. rations depending upon where you plan to go (water/food) and a Garmin InReach (with the minimum monthly $13 subscription) for SOS if you get stranded, then go have all the fun you want.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude...what a great reply...love it...LOL

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A lot of good advice here. Quite often less is more. Safety and survival first. A good set of AT or MT tires will go a long way making your vehicle more capable.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Rubi takeoff suspension and quick disconnects. Or at least hand tools to disconnect manually. Besides all the other stuff people said here. Disconnecting your swaybar will give you all the benefits of the SFA. It is easy and cheap or free.

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
Forget the winch. Stay on the dirt roads and off of the “trails.”

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
The Internet is your friend, has already been said here. Google “Reno Off road clubs” There are lots in your area, and they will know all the trails. You might want to join one, some people to go with. A local 4X4 shop might be another resource. I’m sure there’s people in Reno on this forum that will respond here soon as well. Did you know JEEP is an acronym? Have you ever heard of the Rubicon Trail? It’s about an hour from you. But it’s not for beginners or solo.
Sponsored