Sponsored

Back glass exploded...again!

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Jim, is it possible you are slamming the tail gate hard when you close it and maybe this caused an initial crack? I see when I close mine it compresses the seal for the back window but I never slam it.
I complain about my wife always slamming the cabinets closed or if she even shuts the faucet I can hear it downstairs in the boiler room because the pipes clank. I'm always telling her "do you need to slam the doors or faucet shut?" She looks at me like i"m crazy and says "I didn't slam it"
I give up!
You need a water hammer arrestor for the faucet issue and some Blumotion hinges with dampers for the cabinets.
Sponsored

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door hard top.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if my installer (Safelite) is doing anything wrong. Friday my lift gate glass just popped again. This is the 3rd time in one year...one year! I'm a grown man, I'm in my 50's...but I cried when I saw it this time.

This is what I know:
  • The last two times I have on my surveillance camera, no one is doing it. You can watch it explode on camera.
  • It has been cold. Not 15 below but 20's at night.
  • I get it repaired with the same company, Safelite. Same installer does the job (we have a relationship now)
  • I treat it with kid gloves, opening slowly and closing gently and only when I need to open the back.
  • They use the same hardware each time, same wiper and motor, same struts. I think the glued on parts are new?
Any ideas? I will take any and all advice, silly or ridiculous suggestions are encouraged. Has anyone had continuous issues with theirs after getting it replaced?

Thanks all...stay safe friends!

3rd_time.jpg
OEM glass or after market?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Aftermarket glass. Roanie is correct...any car any color!
Jim,
Are you sure it's aftermarket glass. I had Safelite put in a side wing window in a 2000 GMC back when they were pretty new and it was OEM. I believe Safelite uses what they can get.

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Can't believe the Safelite tech did not see that!

OP
OP
Black Hills Jim
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Jim,
Are you sure it's aftermarket glass. I had Safelite put in a side wing window in a 2000 GMC back when they were pretty new and it was OEM. I believe Safelite uses what they can get.
Tech said he could order OEM but had this in stock and available. I guess I was desperate, just like I was in high school with girls....

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Tech said he could order OEM but had this in stock and available. I guess I was desperate, just like I was in high school with girls....
Surprised there was a generic rear glass available. We can't seem to find generic windshields yet. Still waiting on a generic windshield, since mine has a giant crater and lightning bolt crack from top to bottom on the pax side.

Sponsored

halibut214

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport X
Just had this happen to me and was a little surprised that I found this thread. I was standing near the rear of my Jeep with the engine off parked on a level surface when all of a sudden the window just exploded into a million pieces. This is frickin nuts!
Jeep Wrangler JL Back glass exploded...again! image

halibut214

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport X
Just had this happen to me and was a little surprised that I found this thread. I was standing near the rear of my Jeep with the engine off parked on a level surface when all of a sudden the window just exploded into a million pieces. This is frickin nuts!
image.jpg
Just finished cleaning up all the glass. The glass around the defrost wires crumbles like dry clay and the part in the window looks like it got very hot and no I didn’t have the rear defrost on. It’s 80 in Phoenix today. See pic. This clearly looks like a factory defect to me.

WitchDoctor

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JKU
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door hard top.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if my installer (Safelite) is doing anything wrong. Friday my lift gate glass just popped again. This is the 3rd time in one year...one year! I'm a grown man, I'm in my 50's...but I cried when I saw it this time.

This is what I know:
  • The last two times I have on my surveillance camera, no one is doing it. You can watch it explode on camera.
  • It has been cold. Not 15 below but 20's at night.
  • I get it repaired with the same company, Safelite. Same installer does the job (we have a relationship now)
  • I treat it with kid gloves, opening slowly and closing gently and only when I need to open the back.
  • They use the same hardware each time, same wiper and motor, same struts. I think the glued on parts are new?
Any ideas? I will take any and all advice, silly or ridiculous suggestions are encouraged. Has anyone had continuous issues with theirs after getting it replaced?

Thanks all...stay safe friends!

Mine blew out today & it was the air shocks/pistons that just decided to expand on their own while the Jeep was sitting. Blew the glass outward on each side & pistons were fully expanded. The middle was shattered but still in place. I’m 100% certain it is due to pistons expanding. If you’re keep using same hardware that could be the problem.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Mine blew out today & it was the air shocks/pistons that just decided to expand on their own while the Jeep was sitting. Blew the glass outward on each side & pistons were fully expanded. The middle was shattered but still in place. I’m 100% certain it is due to pistons expanding. If you’re keep using same hardware that could be the problem.
I suspect the pistons expanded because the glass blew out, those piston don’t have that much thrust. Plus after a certain distance they work the opposite or your rear window would fly open whenever you opened the gate.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think the most plausible theory is that the independent hinges are not on the same axis and, when installed in the open position, create a very high binding force when the hatch is shut.

I would do a few things if this were my issue. Check the hinges as best you can for alignment with each other. Put some kind of rubber washers between the glass and the hinges so some cushioning and flexing of the mounting is allowed. Tighten the fasteners retaining the glass when the hatch is closed.
Sponsored