Sponsored

Back glass issue again - glue job or request a new window?

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Currently sitting in the dealership service center again for back glass issues on my hard top. This time the rear window defroster has managed to delaminate itself, so when I went to turn it on, I got a nice smell of burning tin. They are attempting to re-glue it down, but I think I'm going to "strongly encourage" them to put a new rear window on.

Would you take a glue job or request a new window?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Currently sitting in the dealership service center again for back glass issues on my hard top. This time the rear window defroster has managed to delaminate itself, so when I went to turn it on, I got a nice smell of burning tin. They are attempting to re-glue it down, but I think I'm going to "strongly encourage" them to put a new rear window on.

Would you take a glue job or request a new window?
I don't know. But I do know your question to be an extremely valid one.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I don’t think glue will help if it desoldered itself.
Had a 2007 Suburban where the defroster fell off from the back glass all by itself within 9k miles from new. I swear I took that thing to the dealership (under warranty) and they tried about 3 or 4 times to get it to stay put. Glue, solder, not one of those fixes ever lasted more than a month. I eventually just gave up and it never worked again. I traded in in for my 18 JLUR :)

Point is, they're probably better off replacing the whole back glass. Be persistent! Maybe you'll be luckier than I, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the glue idea. Good luck!

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've become accustomed over the years to use my side mirrors. The backup camera on this vehicle is also top notch. I've made it a favorite on my display screen menu and can tap at will while driving.

I don't hook up the water or wiring back there. Take the top off and on weekly.

Having said that, the design of the defroster is weak and not good. let them fix, but you will be back, just keep on them so that if nearing warranty expiration, you go into with some time of agreement, that you will be back.

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I do not think FCA advise them to solder/glue it, they actually only allow glass replacement.

With that being said, the replacement will not be much better. Folks here are on their 3rd or 4th glass. Also you get factor in your dealer's craftsmanship when they replace the glass, some dealers are not paying attention at all.

I would personally just use glues specifically for defroster, and see if they hold. If not, I will replace the glass when it is closed to my warranty end.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I've become accustomed over the years to use my side mirrors. The backup camera on this vehicle is also top notch. I've made it a favorite on my display screen menu and can tap at will while driving.

I don't hook up the water or wiring back there. Take the top off and on weekly.

Having said that, the design of the defroster is weak and not good. let them fix, but you will be back, just keep on them so that if nearing warranty expiration, you go into with some time of agreement, that you will be back.
Sir. I completely concur with your seeming sentiments of using the backup camera as a glorified option in lieu of, or to supplement rear view mirror visibility.

I don't own any CANbus (e.g. JL Tazer) tech, some of which I've heard, and am sharing with you in the unlikely case you don't know, permit the camera to remain on longer than the 10 or so seconds that the factory has set it to be on for when otherwise not in reverse gear.

That said, fellow programmer, do you know any good places to learn more about programming in CANbus?;) (It's legal in Colorado;))

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
there are numerous threads discussing this in detail: FCA's policy is to REPLACE the entire window, many have reported that their replacement windows have still had the rear defroster tab come off

I chose to fix it myself with a conductive epoxy and it has held up perfectly... but if you want the dealer to go by the book, there are explicit instructions from FCA to NOT try and repair and to replace the entire window, see thread, there are tons and tons of us with this problem

I actually tried to have my dealer epoxy it as I did not want a new window, I have rear lights wired up through the hardtop and didn't want to re-do everything and they refused to try and repair so I did it myself

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rear-window-defroster-unsoldered.7776/
Sponsored