Back glass exploded...again!

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door hard top.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if my installer (Safelite) is doing anything wrong. Friday my lift gate glass just popped again. This is the 3rd time in one year...one year! I'm a grown man, I'm in my 50's...but I cried when I saw it this time.

This is what I know:
  • The last two times I have on my surveillance camera, no one is doing it. You can watch it explode on camera.
  • It has been cold. Not 15 below but 20's at night.
  • I get it repaired with the same company, Safelite. Same installer does the job (we have a relationship now)
  • I treat it with kid gloves, opening slowly and closing gently and only when I need to open the back.
  • They use the same hardware each time, same wiper and motor, same struts. I think the glued on parts are new?
Any ideas? I will take any and all advice, silly or ridiculous suggestions are encouraged. Has anyone had continuous issues with theirs after getting it replaced?

Thanks all...stay safe friends!

3rd_time.jpg
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I’m sorry to hear this. Pressure changes can cause the glass to expand and break if the glass was already, in some way cracked. I wouldn’t fault the change in pressure as much as I would a faulty installation. Maybe take it to a different place to have the new one installed?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Damn, I'm pretty rough on mine. How is the feel when it's in place and working? I'm almost wondering if your struts are too powerful/over-charged/sticky/whatever

You said you wanted ANY ideas.....

My '19 spent the entire Colo winter outside, so cold isn't really an issue I'd say

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There was another report of back glass shattering by itself a while back. Some forum members gave her some grief about how it's not possible for it to shatter on it's own. Do search, maybe you can find some common clues to help explain why this happened. Good luck.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Now since the OP did ask for silly responses...

The OP’s loud, putrid and vibrant farts explosively blew out the back glass. You may want to lay off the steamed cabbage and carrots.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
While I’ll take your word for it, can it blow out the back glass window of a Wrangler?

OP
OP
Black Hills Jim
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Damn, I'm pretty rough on mine. How is the feel when it's in place and working? I'm almost wondering if your struts are too powerful/over-charged/sticky/whatever
I thought about the struts as well, they are the common denominator aside the installer.

Now since the OP did ask for silly responses...

The OP’s loud, putrid and vibrant farts explosively blew out the back glass. You may want to lay off the steamed cabbage and carrots.

My flatulence is legendary, perhaps I have shared too much....

Jeep66

First Name
Mace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon 2016 Mercedes GLE63 AMG S 2019 Lincoln Navigator
Hi All,

98% sure it’s the defrost wire coming loose and putting a current through the glass. Happened to me awhile back different vehicle.