First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have the towing package installed by factory but under the hood I don’t see the battery or ignition wires, just the four aux switch wires. Am I missing somethintg?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@jpb

In the engine compartment, you will have Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 wires. That is all that is in that bundle. So, no battery or ignition wire there.

In the passenger foot well, you will find Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 wires and also, the battery and ignition wires.

jeepnewbie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Wrangler Sport S, 08' Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
GE Aviation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the factory installed Aux switches. Does anyone know if there is a Low Voltage Cutoff to protect the battery if the particular switch is programmed to run nonstop?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jeepnewbie
I would say the answer is no. I base this no answer on info l have read on this forum over the last few months. A few guys have posted depleted battery issues when they left an Aux switch on...

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
After wiring an accessory, should it work “out of the gate” or does something have to be done to activate the switches before use?

I installed LEDs under my seats and wired the positive to the AUX 4 switch wire and then grounded the black on the same bolt shown in this thread, and the lights aren’t working with the Jeep running and the AUX4 button pressed. Not sure if I missed a step, have a defective product, or what. Any guesses/advise?

Sponsored

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
After wiring an accessory, should it work “out of the gate” or does something have to be done to activate the switches before use?

I installed LEDs under my seats and wired the positive to the AUX 4 switch wire and then grounded the black on the same bolt shown in this thread, and the lights aren’t working with the Jeep running and the AUX4 button pressed. Not sure if I missed a step, have a defective product, or what. Any guesses/advise?
Did you go the settings on the uConnect page to set how you wanted the Aux switch to work?

Momentary switch or power on/off. Powered with ignition or battery.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Did you go the settings on the uConnect page to set how you wanted the Aux switch to work?

Momentary switch or power on/off. Powered with ignition or battery.
Would that make a difference in this case? If so, what should the setting be bc when I looked at those it just seemed to ask if I want it to automatically come on or not.

I will say, I tested all the connections and it definitely appears to not be a Jeep wiring issues or even a me wiring issue. As far as my meter said, the wire is getting a signal....just can’t fogure out what is oreventing the lights from working. At this point I can only conclude rugged ridge sold me a crap product. Nothing else makes sense other than the leds they sold me don’t work.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Would that make a difference in this case? If so, what should the setting be bc when I looked at those it just seemed to ask if I want it to automatically come on or not.

I will say, I tested all the connections and it definitely appears to not be a Jeep wiring issues or even a me wiring issue. As far as my meter said, the wire is getting a signal....just can’t fogure out what is oreventing the lights from working. At this point I can only conclude rugged ridge sold me a crap product. Nothing else makes sense other than the leds they sold me don’t work.

I would set the switch the LED's are on to "powered" not momentary and I would set them to ignition (unless you want them to be able to be on when the Jeep is not running, in which case you can set to "battery" I have no idea what the switch will do if you don't set it first.

Also check any line fuses, in case you blew one.

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for a good inside ground
I am using the Aux switches and want to make sure i connect to a good ground inside the car. To bad jeep did not provide one. The only good place i found without taking apart the dash, was after removing the glove box (quite easily) there are two bolts holding two large terminator. The horizontal bar they are mounted on seems to be a good ground. But I do not want to interfere with jeeps electrical system. And heaven forbid do anything to interfere with the already flakey uConnect system. Does anyone know if this connector is an acceptable ground spot.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@owltown

Not sure about the place you are talking about. I do know this passenger side foot well ground point is good to use. Very easy access to it. Many forum member's have reported using this ground point.
footground.jpeg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@owltown

In the engine compartment, here is a good ground point to use when using the Aux wires there, etc..

groundpoint by battery.jpg

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
I am wiring a Cobra CB and I would like to use the wires under the footwell. I have been told in the past that the only right way to wire the CB was to connect it directly to the battery through the firewall. Would it be safe and appropriate to use the battery wire and ground in the passenger side as pictured above? I will only have the cb radio on and in the vehicle with me when wheeling or traveling.

Another question I have with regards to the all in one cb unit is placement. I have seen multiple people zip tie the little brain to the 2 angled pipes to the left of the glove box. This seems dangerous to me as these were very hot when I felt them after 30 min of cooling time. I zip tied mine to the plastic vent to try and keep it away from the heat of these pipes. Am I being paranoid? Is the plastic duct work ok for a mounting point?

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Great comraderie in this thread, with pics of ground points, etc. it’s nice to see supportive members.

I have a question before I install some a pillar lights. I notice in some of the pics, the factory wires have what looks like heat shrink tubing. Do you have to completely remove this to splice wires? What’s the best method to physically splice into the aux wiring?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Great comraderie in this thread, with pics of ground points, etc. it’s nice to see supportive members.

I have a question before I install some a pillar lights. I notice in some of the pics, the factory wires have what looks like heat shrink tubing. Do you have to completely remove this to splice wires? What’s the best method to physically splice into the aux wiring?
Yes, remove the cover and use the shrink tubes that came with the car ( some people didn’t get the little bag with them) or buy new ones. Nothing to it.
Sponsored