Aux. battery, ESS System

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
My ESS hasn't been working for months so since I'm approaching 36K I took it in to get it fixed last week. They replaced both batteries. The ESS is working again but I have noticed my Jeep is charging between 13 and 14 volts whereas before it was always over 14. Not sure if that's an issue.
Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What is the braided cable running to the side of the solenoid?
It was the main feed over to a switchpro, was the longest cable I had at the time of the picture. I made another and have attached to the power bus since then.

WaX

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My ESS hasn't been working for months so since I'm approaching 36K I took it in to get it fixed last week. They replaced both batteries. The ESS is working again but I have noticed my Jeep is charging between 13 and 14 volts whereas before it was always over 14. Not sure if that's an issue.
That's a good sign. The intelligent alternator isn't like the old days when more voltage was a good sign. If you're over 14V all the time, it's either really cold, you drive only short distances or your batteries are fading. Im mostly doing long drives and watch the voltage regularly. I like when it settles down to around 13V, that tells me the batteries are topped off nicely.

Mutlkey53

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL, purchased new in April 2021
Advice
With the two 12v battery Wranglers the ESS is unacceptable because it will do harm to the battery/s. The fix is the Tazer or other device that allow permanent removal of ESS.
Further Because of the bad OEM design you should carry a Jump Start device to allow correction for a dead battery. This is a DIY task and required knowledge on how to do the jump start with the two batteries.
Yep, we've had the JL 8 months now, and it shite itself twice where I needed the little lithium jump-pack to fire it up to get home. ESS is shite.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Yep, we've had the JL 8 months now, and it shite itself twice where I needed the little lithium jump-pack to fire it up to get home. ESS is shite.
Pull the plug on that thing! (Actually just pull the wire.)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Both jumping N2-to-N1 and N3-to-N1 do the same thing because once the auxiliary battery is taken out of the the system, either physically, or electrically, all the power is coming from the main battery/alternator anyway.

It’s just that in the stock setup, N3 is what feeds the auxiliary battery which in turn, connects to and feeds N1. Jumping from N3 directly to N1 is basically whats happening in the stock setup, but stock it has a relay and the aux battery between them and this way is truly bypassing them.

Fusing the jumper is not necessary because you’re bypassing all of the wiring that went to the relay and auxiliary battery. N3 comes right off it’s own dedicated 150A fuse that was there to protect that wiring which is now not connected to anything, or in my case physically removed. Jumping N3 to N1 is still retaining the 150A fuse. Putting a fused Jumper would be redundant by putting another (probably lower capacity) fuse in line with the existing 150A fuse. The 150A fuse that is there is probably not even necessary now because N1 is feeding accessories that have there own fused circuits.

The only difference between jumping N2-to-N1 and N3-to-N1 is that the latter is powering N1 through the original 150A fuse that it was going through stock.

Jumping N2 to N1 is feeding N1 directly from the main battery and it wasn’t that way from the factory, but doing it this was will work perfectly fine and is almost exactly the same. Some are suggesting taking the Aux battery + cable and connecting it to the main battery + and this works too. It’s the same as Jumping N2 to N1, but the power is going through more cabling and more cabling has more chance of getting damaged and shorted, but no more than it was stock because all of that cabling was there stock to begin with. So this way is fine too as long as the cable is rerouted safely. It’s basically rerouting what’s already there instead of making a jumper. Affectively using the original aux + cable as a big unfused jumper. If anything, this setup is less protected than how I have mine setup.

There are many different ways to accomplish the same thing. Hooking this to that, or jumping this to that is doing the same thing, it’s just pulling the power from a different point in the same system.

I did it the way I did because my goal was to clean it up as much as possible. I removed a LOT of cabling and clutter. I unwrapped the harnesses and removed everything I could including the cabling that goes down to the relay and all of the cables for the aux battery and then re-wrapped what was left. It looks super clean, not that you even see it. The Jeep doesn’t even know it’s not there. I left the relay itself in place and it’s still hooked up to the control wires, there just aren’t any battery cables hooked to it.

Hope this helps and I hope my explanation wasn’t too confusing. I learned all of this from the post started by @Jebiruph and I can’t thank him enough for the work that he did in that thread and everyone else for that matter. Getting rid of that aux battery mess really helped with the suspension project I’m working on. I did a ton of research on this before I implemented it and I think it was the best way and it worked great.

This diagram by @Jebiruph shows how the stock setup is, so maybe you can see what I confusingly tried to describe. Haha

-Jeff

36L dual batteries.png

And here's a picture of the mess that I removed:

IMG_0951.jpg
This is on my to do list, great post.

joliett

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I've been studying this aux battery negative battery lead removal and N42 fuse removal. I like it. But what I don't like is leaving the little battery in the Jeep with no automatic way of keeping it charged.

Anyone have a solution to that?

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
I've been studying this aux battery negative battery lead removal and N42 fuse removal. I like it. But what I don't like is leaving the little battery in the Jeep with no automatic way of keeping it charged.

You have bypassed it, taking it out of the system. It's just sitting there. Why charge it? Well, one reason is that if it sits long enough and goes flat, it could freeze and break (hmmm, do AGM batteries do that?)
If I were taking it out of the system, I can't see leaving it there.
Frankly, I just keep things maintained watch my voltages, to periodic maintenance which includes checking everything, including batteries, etc. - no problem. Part of maintaining a vehicle is doing more than oil changes which is about all people seem to do, oil changes and brag about doing differential lube changes, but no one does much else.

Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Jeep always gets these things right. But only after they try all the other ways first.

I like the ESS system just fine. I have used an ESS type system gladly in other makes.

But Jeep's implementation of it seems inherently flawed.

It seems there are too many common driving scenarios where the two batteries end up cannibalizing each other and then both die.

Maybe it works fine for drivers who don't do short trips, who are always driving far enough that both batteries fully charge and top off from the alternator. If so, then it probably works fine for drivers who plug in a charger every night too.

My ESS system and batteries failed this winter. Or was heading that way--the ESS system stopped working, I was starting to get strange messages on the dash. No failures to start but when I tried to charge the battery as a preventative, my main battery was damaged enough it wouldn't hold a charge. Not at all. Same with the Aux battery. So I disconnected the Aux from the system (using the method outlined on JL forums here), pulling fuse 42 and disconnecting the Aux's neg cable, taping it off out of the way. I was lucky the Noco Genius 10 repair mode was eventually able to get both batteries to hold a charge and operate ok, but I've left the Aux disconnected. I would remove the Aux entirely if I knew I wouldn't have a warrantee repair at the dealer where I'd want to return it to stock, so they wouldn't immediately think I had caused whatever problem by disconnecting the Aux.

Meanwhile ESS still works fine running on only the damaged Main battery, but I usually remember to turn off ESS at the dash after every start. I say "damaged" because the main still frequently makes as low as 9.3V cranking voltage at startup. Not good.

If I were to buy a new JLR over again, I'd disconnect the Aux first thing and pull the fuse. The ESS would probably work fine with only the main as long as you're not running lots of high draw accessories through long traffic lights, and as long as you're driving long enough trips to get it fully charged each trip.

And again, this is not because I'm anti ESS. It's fine if it works. I just know that it didn't work adequately in my JLR and that's mostly due to design and implementation by Jeep.

p.s. I worry that ESS systems, in general, overtax the starter motor but I don't know enough about it to say. I do know some of the earlier JL models (the E-torque?) had a belt driven starter, and I assumed it was to reduce wear and tear on the standard type starter. Hmm.

joliett

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I really like your reply, and somewhat agree with you. Except when the smaller battery starts parasitic stealing the charge intended for the larger battery and voila, dead larger battery and no start.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey

my solution is simple but ad hoc. Every 2-4 weeks I attach the charger's negative clamp to the Aux's taped off and disconnected negative cable. That charges the Aux up just fine. I have the charger installed onboard the Jeep so this is easy to do anytime I have the hood up for some other reason.

It's not an automatic way of keeping the aux charged so it doesn't address your question adequately. The automatic way I can think of to keep it charged would be to install a double charger on board (like one of the Noco x2 models) and have one of the charger lines attached to the main, the other to the Aux. Even that would only be automatic for people who plug in a charger every night like I do. It wouldn't be automatic while driving, or on trips, etc. But what I found is that charging the Aux didn't happen in my JLR automatically by the alternator anyway. Instead the aux automatically drained the main while driving.
Sponsored