Aux. battery, ESS System

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I know this has been talked about on & off on here, and I know people have had issues with the ESS and puny ass Aux. battery, some almost right out of the box. However it seems like there is a new rash and more and more people are starting to have issues as mileage climbs. I have done a little research and I don't like what I am seeing. I am not an engineer but the puny Aux. battery just seems to be doomed for early failure.

I have recently been educated on the Genesis battery system and it looks like a all be it pretty expensive fix to the Wrangler Aux. battery ESS failure issues it might be well worth it.

So my question is, what do you all think? is the Genesis system a good alternative? and fix for the Jeep system? For me it looks like it would give me a lot more piece of mind when out of state, out on trails, and when running any Aux. items, lights etc.

Last thing I want is to be in TN, NC area or any trail and become stranded because of this issue.

Thanks
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know this has been talked about on & off on here, and I know people have had issues with the ESS and puny ass Aux. battery, some almost right out of the box. However it seems like there is a new rash and more and more people are starting to have issues as mileage climbs. I have done a little research and I don't like what I am seeing. I am not an engineer but the puny Aux. battery just seems to be doomed for early failure.

I have recently been educated on the Genesis battery system and it looks like a all be it pretty expensive fix to the Wrangler Aux. battery ESS failure issues it might be well worth it.

So my question is, what do you all think? is the Genesis system a good alternative? and fix for the Jeep system? For me it looks like it would give me a lot more piece of mind when out of state, out on trails, and when running any Aux. items, lights etc.

Last thing I want is to be in TN, NC area or any trail and become stranded because of this issue.

Thanks
I never liked the ESS from the time I drove it off the lot. Mine has been disabled with Tazer for about 3 years now. So when my batteries finally gave up the ghost, I eliminated the little bastard, I’m done with it……of course if you use ess, and like it, then disregard my post….. 🙂

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1782952/

Last edited:
OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Roky

I do not like the ESS. I shut mine off every time I get in. I do not want the engine shutting down ever. It may be ok in some applications, I am honestly not sure. But I have the 2.0 L Turbo and I do not want oil flow to stop going though the turbo, especially when the engine is at full operating Temp. in the middle of the day in hot FL.

I currently own 3 turbocharged vehicles and have been advised by several people who have spent many, many years working with turbochargers to never allow oil flow to stop flowing over the turbo bearings. (Except of course at shut down) In fact I still practice giving the engine 30 to 45 seconds to run before shutting down, especially if I was hot rodding it. LOL.

I will look at the Tazer thing although I have seen a few posts where people said the Tazer was causing issue?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

Thanks
I did it and you should to ASAP.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Roky

I do not like the ESS. I shut mine off every time I get in. I do not want the engine shutting down ever. It may be ok in some applications, I am honestly not sure. But I have the 2.0 L Turbo and I do not want oil flow to stop going though the turbo, especially when the engine is at full operating Temp. in the middle of the day in hot FL.

I currently own 3 turbocharged vehicles and have been advised by several people who have spent many, many years working with turbochargers to never allow oil flow to stop flowing over the turbo bearings. (Except of course at shut down) In fact I still practice giving the engine 30 to 45 seconds to run before shutting down, especially if I was hot rodding it. LOL.

I will look at the Tazer thing although I have seen a few posts where people said the Tazer was causing issue?
If the Tazer is causing something to go wrong, it’s been my experience the last 3 years that 99.9 percent of the time , it was operator error……..it is an awesome device..

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well there was one issue posted I saw today. Issue with Tazer mini. I didn't read it because I don't have one and am not qualified to comment on the Tazer. Also I have seen others, but would have to do a search to find them, and see what the outcome was. I was just saying I have seen posts concerning the Tazer.

I will do some research, but let me see if I have this. The Tazer allows for bypassing the ESS. Rokey you removed your Aux. battery just cause you didn't want it in there anymore?

Thanks

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I never liked the ESS from the time I drove it off the lot. Mine has been disabled with Tazer for about 3 years now. So when my batteries finally gave up the ghost, eliminated the little bastard, I’m done with it……of course if you use ess, and like it, then disregard my post….. 🙂

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1782952/
As soon as my warranty is out.I will completely remove the small battery.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well there was one issue posted I saw today. Issue with Tazer mini. I didn't read it because I don't have one and am not qualified to comment on the Tazer. Also I have seen others, but would have to do a search to find them, and see what the outcome was. I was just saying I have seen posts concerning the Tazer.

I will do some research, but let me see if I have this. The Tazer allows for bypassing the ESS. Rokey you removed your Aux. battery just cause you didn't want it in there anymore?

Thanks
Yeah, I was gonna keep it for spare, or rig it up so I could use it for accessories, etc…. But the the more I thought about it, I’m never gonna mess with any of that shit, lol. Jeeps been operating on one battery for 80 years, I didn’t see the need to reinvent the wheel… ;) ……. If I go out camping or on a long trail ride, I’ll just charge up a little battery and haul it with me. I have a lithium jumper gizmo that I pack with us at all times as well.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
Advice
With the two 12v battery Wranglers the ESS is unacceptable because it will do harm to the battery/s. The fix is the Tazer or other device that allow permanent removal of ESS.
Further Because of the bad OEM design you should carry a Jump Start device to allow correction for a dead battery. This is a DIY task and required knowledge on how to do the jump start with the two batteries.

Sponsored

OP
OP
longfiredragon

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like your thinking Rokey, thanks for the response. And I agree if we want I mean we could tie down a diff. battery in back to run other stuff for a day so.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds

Thanks
Yes, the factory dual battery system is an engineering failure. It only exists because of a poor management decision. Multiple batteries connected in series or parallel should always be the same. Ive worked on many multiple battery setups on heavy duty
and medium duty vehicles and never saw a mismatched setup like our Jeeps have.

Installed the Genesis dual battery system recently. Used to see stop start not ready, battery charging message at under 30K miles. Factory battery voltage new was around 14.5V with engine running and lights on. But after less than 2.5 years it stayed around 14.1V to 14.2V.

With the Genisis system and Full River AGM batteries I see 14.5V - 14.7V and the ESS is working normally again.

You'll like the quality built Genesis battery tray and battery cable assembly.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A key part of the issue is that the OE batteries are notoriously shitty. Last summer I had to replace both with a pair of O’Reiley’s Super Start batteries; they get good reviews.

So far so good. I’ve been in -17C/1F over the past few weeks and the Jeep started right up. The auxiliary battery holds its charge perfectly; ESS works every time and stays on for several minutes at some long traffic lights we have in town. No issues.

Total cost was $306 for both batteries ($107 + $199).

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I am not an engineer but the puny Aux. battery just seems to be doomed for early failure.

I view the elimination of the ESS battery as a collateral benefit of the investment in and installation of the Genesis dual battery system.

Two batteries can provide additional reserves of cranking power (meaning the Wrangler owner can jump start his own vehicle), and buttress the available voltage reserves when powering current-hungry accessories like Dometic refrigerators and the like. That latter bit is what many owners mention when discussing the Genesis installs on their Jeeps. It's also mentioned in the first sentence, under Description, on the manufacturer's website.

It's on my To Buy list.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL