Sponsored

Auto Headlight Sensitivity

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Does anyone else find that the sensor to turn the headlights on automatically is way too sensitive? I can be driving at noon on a sunny cloudless day and they’ll turn on every time I hit a shaded stretch of road. Of course I then can’t see anything on the dash or uconnect display as I’m usually wearing sunglasses. I realize I can jack the brightness up but then I just have to turn it down again once it’s actually dark out.

I’ve found myself just taking them out of the auto setting as it’s so annoying, and haven’t found any way to adjust it.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Does anyone else find that the sensor to turn the headlights on automatically is way too sensitive? I can be driving at noon on a sunny cloudless day and they’ll turn on every time I hit a shaded stretch of road. Of course I then can’t see anything on the dash or uconnect display as I’m usually wearing sunglasses. I realize I can jack the brightness up but then I just have to turn it down again once it’s actually dark out.

I’ve found myself just taking them out of the auto setting as it’s so annoying, and haven’t found any way to adjust it.
Had kinda the same thoughts. Keeping the sensor clean on a regular basis helps a little, going topless it tends to collect a layer of dust which makes it worse at least for me.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My headlights/dash only turn "night-time mode" when I drive during the day and duck under a shade, but it will never come back to "day-light" mode when I drive out back into the sun. It's a shitty system, I have to play with the knob all day. A trip to the dealer fixed nothing. They blame me for using aftermarket headlights..... I said it was a sensor sensitivity issue NOT THE HEADLIGHTS (wtf?), the tech just gave me a fish-out of the water look.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
My headlights/dash only turn "night-time mode" when I drive during the day and duck under a shade, but it will never come back to "day-light" mode when I drive out back into the sun. It's a shitty system, I have to play with the knob all day. A trip to the dealer fixed nothing. They blame me for using aftermarket headlights..... I said it was a sensor sensitivity issue NOT THE HEADLIGHTS, the tech just gave me a fish-out of the water look.
Yeah, I just adjust the dash lights as desired (I don't care if the headlights are on or not during the day). Had pretty much the same with my last FCA vehicle (a 2011), nothing new to me but still no excuse.

Sponsored

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
Yeah, I just adjust the dash lights as desired (I don't care if the headlights are on or not during the day). Had pretty much the same with my last FCA vehicle (a 2011), nothing new to me but still no excuse.
Reviving this old thread to find a badly needed fix.
Has anyone found a solution to the extremely touchy automatic headlight sensor?
My headlights (2019 Rubicon) come on during Arizona daylight as soon as the vehicle roof casts a shadow on the dash.
People might think I'm flashing my lights at them during the day when the main headlights come on by themselves....don't want to get into a road rage incident because of it...

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Reviving this old thread to find a badly needed fix.
Has anyone found a solution to the extremely touchy automatic headlight sensor?
My headlights (2019 Rubicon) come on during Arizona daylight as soon as the vehicle roof casts a shadow on the dash.
People might think I'm flashing my lights at them during the day when the main headlights come on by themselves....don't want to get into a road rage incident because of it...
Cover it and call it a DRL mod.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Mine has become more sensitive over time. It used to be timed rather well, though lately they’ve been coming on in daylight. Sensor is clean, though I have a switch pod next to it that may be casting a shadow.

I remember having this issue on an F-body I had years ago. The sensor would fail in the “on” position. The band aid fix was to unplug the sensor and insert a specific resistor to trick the system into thinking it was daylight, essentially turning it into manual lighting. Though, we have an “off” position on our lighting switch, so that really isn’t necessary.

en480c4

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Range Rover Classic
You can adjust it with the JScan app. I had the same issue and it drove me crazy. I turned up the threshold for it to turn on so it won’t come on in shadows on an otherwise clear day, and turned down the threshold to turn off so that when it does turn on, it stays on a little longer if you’re in and out of shadows at dawn or dusk. I think I went from 3.6 V to over to 4 V for ON and from 2.8 V to closer to 2 V for OFF.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto Headlight Sensitivity B5A49A97-8BC6-4D84-AD48-B43AAB2069E5

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
My jeep is still under warranty.
Can the dealer adjust the sensitivity?
Sponsored