Retrofit 2020 auto headlight dimming?

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You can add the trail cam feature by using the Tazer (or like device). Maybe this feature can be unlocked too.
Not in HD. There simply is no input present on the radio for that.
So it would be in reduced quality, and certainly no lines to show steering angle.

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
yup... as is programming fogs on with high beams.

Have auto high beams on my BMWs and love them. Such a great, lazy feature

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
I had a Grand Cherokee with auto high beams and the system was useless. It would dim the lights when it didn't need to, or not dim the lights when it was supposed to. It was really terrible at dimming the lights when I came up behind another car travelling in the same direction. I had a loaner Lexus RX for a while too, and that system was equally as useless. I do have an Audi A6 with it right now, but I don't think I've ever used it to know how good it is. I live in a fairly busy, well lit area now, so I don't think I've even used the high beams on my Jeep after 7 months of owning it. Definitely not something I would go to any effort to add. The trail cam though... I would love to retrofit that!

Sponsored

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It works really well in my 5... I live in a populated city outside of Boston, but driving home late at night on backroads without streetlights, the high beams are really necessary...

BTW, the systems are stripped down in the US. Euro options will leave the highbeams on and aim them away from oncoming traffic. BMW calls it adaptive LED headlights (not street legal in the US). For anyone that has ever used the Euro-spec adaptive LED lights, they are truly night and day vs what we’re stuck with in US (thanks DOT).

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
Just curious if anyone has learned anything more now that 2020s are more prevalent?

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you have a 2019 and have ACC whether you added it after the fact, or its original, there is a path for those interested in adding it.

The story:

The 2019 Wranglers, (including Gladiators) came from the factory without auto headlight dimming. The ability to order a Jeep Wrangler with auto headlight dimming became available in 2020.

The path to take:

If you want Auto headlight dimming, you'll need to reflash your BCM and IPC to the 2020 model year firmware. You will never get auto highbeams with the BCM at 2019 firmware. The coding is just not there. Reflashing the IPC (cluster) is required only because you will NOT get the message that lets you know if auto high beams is ON or OFF. Thats it. Its not as dainting as you may think, however, I could NOT find a dealer who would do this for me. There are only 2 options to get this to happen.

1. Purchase a 2020 BCM and IPC from a wreck yard or new from the dealer.

2. Flash the BCM and the IPC with the 2020 firmware.

The 2nd one will be the cheapest option since you will not be shelling out any additional money to purchase hardware. You will need to find someone who will reflash your modules or purchase the necessary tools to do it.

This is the only way to get auto high beams. I have a 2019 jeep wrangler sport, and I have ACC and auto high beams. I retrofitted my wranlger sport with these options. Please don't confuse this with auto headlights which is obtained from adding a light switch that has the function. If you live near Memphis TN and don't mind the travel, I can assist you in this endevour.
Sponsored