Retrofit 2020 auto headlight dimming?

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito MOAB/Audi A6/BMW Z3/Saab 9-5/Saab 9-3 Conv
I see the 2020 has the auto hi beam option? This is a real nice feature and I have in on my Audi. Yes, you could call me lazy with regard to that, but it is still a nice feature. I would like to add it to my wife's 2019 MOAB. Has anyone inquired about this yet? I would ask my dealer, but the service department can't even get the oil change and tire rotation right. I would guess that it may require more than just a light sensor.
Sponsored

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I understand, it's a nice feature and I would also like to have it on my 2019 Rubicon. It probably use the same hardware as the adaptive cruise control (camera). But I worry that it's not possible.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I see the 2020 has the auto hi beam option? This is a real nice feature and I have in on my Audi. Yes, you could call me lazy with regard to that, but it is still a nice feature. I would like to add it to my wife's 2019 MOAB. Has anyone inquired about this yet? I would ask my dealer, but the service department can't even get the oil change and tire rotation right. I would guess that it may require more than just a light sensor.
The auto hi beam sensors are usually the same used in the adaptive cruise and automatic braking. If your MOAB is equipped with those sensors, then theoretically you should have all the hardware needed. However, I don't think Jeep will update the software in older Jeeps to enable that feature.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Following... I have ACC/FCW and would definitely like to make that happen! :like:

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn, I almost wished I had waited 6 months to order mine:(. I would have loved LEDs and some other options. But I'm still happy:like:
I've learned it doesn't matter, they keep adding more options/features all the time. I spent almost 2 years waiting to pull the trigger on buying a Wrangler because of what they kept changing/adding. Oh well, I like what I got! :rock:

OP
OP

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The auto hi beam sensors are usually the same used in the adaptive cruise and automatic braking. If your MOAB is equipped with those sensors, then theoretically you should have all the hardware needed. However, I don't think Jeep will update the software in older Jeeps to enable that feature.
The wife's MOAB has the adaptive cruise so I guess we can all wait and see. I will ask the service department although I think they have their bulbs on the dimmer setting.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You'd probably have to replace the radio.

I know, sounds dumb, but the auto headlights are probably triggered through the uConnect system.

Much like adding the trail cam from the Gladiator. Can't do it without an new 8.4" head unit.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have used this in a rental car and turned it off. It would always dim due to the reflection coming off street signs. Nice idea but ended up being a pretty useless feature for me.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'd probably have to replace the radio.

I know, sounds dumb, but the auto headlights are probably triggered through the uConnect system.

Much like adding the trail cam from the Gladiator. Can't do it without an new 8.4" head unit.
You can add the trail cam feature by using the Tazer (or like device). Maybe this feature can be unlocked too.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have used this in a rental car and turned it off. It would always dim due to the reflection coming off street signs. Nice idea but ended up being a pretty useless feature for me.
It does not do that in my Audi. I suppose most manufacturers have it figured out by now.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
my 2 cents, I had that feature on 2 vehicles and seldom used it, the reason why is that one vehicle had HID and the other LED and the low beams were so bright that I seldom had to use the high beams, same with the low beams on the JL. Now it would have been a useful feature on the older halogen lights...

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This was my experience with it on my 17' Grand Cherokee TH. Never used it due to how it was tuning the brights on and off at the wrong moment. Might have it's place on dark back roads or late night freeway runs but if it detects any light it turns off.

It was actually the same for me with the rain sense wipers. Just not accurate enough sensor for me but to each his own.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It’s great and long country roads, useless in the city. I would like to be able to enable it, but it’s not a do or die item.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If you have the LED package you'll really never need high beams (except maybe offroad if no one is in front of you).
Sponsored