Road crown sensitivity

1. moonpup

moonpup Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    Let me start by saying I don't believe I have the loose steering/wandering problem. I can drive on the highway 70+ with one hand or a couple fingers and don't have to fight the steering. I do have a little bit of play (dead spot) in the steering wheel, but nothing I really find concerning. My question is, how sensitive are the JL's to driving on crowned roads. When I'm driving on crowned roads here in New England, I constantly have to keep my steering wheel cocked to 11 o'clock to keep the car driving straight. With the slightest bit of crowning, my Jeep just veers off to the right. Last time I had the alignment checked, it was good. Is this just normal behavior, or something else going on?

cosine, 2003hummerh2 and HealthRebel like this.
  2. Josht10

Josht10 Active Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep rubicon unlimited
    Liked:
    You’re just living your best solid front axle life! Most vehicles will pull a little bit on a heavily crowned road. The solid front axle just exacerbates the issue.

Almost, higbyz, Wanted33 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mangoman

Mangoman Active Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU
    Liked:
    Pharma R&D
    My JK was worse with crowned roads than my JL is. With my JK there were just some roads I avoided as much as possible.

HealthRebel likes this.
  4. JimLee

JimLee Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 JLU
    Liked:
    Split caster. Now there are people who are going to say that is not possible on a solid axle vehicle, but they are wrong. I am running 6.0 drivers side and 6.3 passenger. It takes adjustable control arms to be able to do it. It helps greatly with road crown pulling and has zero effect that I can feel on level roads. Not sure how effective it would be on a stock height Wrangler, i'm lifted 3" and apparently this is an issue that can get worse when lifting. The high caster (6+ being high) has also helped people who had wandering issues though I never experienced any of that.

5. quietpeen

quietpeen Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    I've noticed this recently, but I thought I pulled something out wheeling a few weeks ago. I feel that most of the roads i'm driving on I have to have the steering wheel at right about 11 o'clock also. I might take it on the highway this evening which seems to have a lot less crowning and see where my steering wheel is.

6. Frustr8ed

Frustr8ed Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Rubicon
    Liked:
    This is a KNOWN PROBLEM with many 2019 JLURs. I have been pursuing the issue with mine as well. FCA says there is currently no solution. Many attempts have been made to solve the problem on mine. I am pursuing a buyback. Not all have the problem and I just drove a 2020 JLUR the other day that did not have the issue at all.

HealthRebel likes this.
  7. quietpeen

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I don't remember it doing it before the last time i went wheelin. If it still does it on the highway I'm going to try to adjust the drag link, most likely get an alignment

HealthRebel likes this.
  8. Frustr8ed

Frustr8ed Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep Rubicon
    Liked:
    This is a KNOWN PROBLEM with many 2019 JLURs. I have been pursuing the issue with mine as well. FCA says there is currently no solution. Many attempts have been made to solve the problem on mine. I am pursuing a buyback. Not all have the problem and I just drove a 2020 JLUR the other day that did not have the issue at all.

9. Gallagher

Gallagher Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
    Liked:
    I had a really good shop do the alignment on mine when I put my lift in, and they said it was perfect because it has exactly your numbers, 6.0 driver and 6.3 passenger. Mine drives great.

JimLee likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    moonpup

moonpup Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    My Jeep has always done it, but seems more prevalent since getting the V41 steering damper recall done. Any chance you had that done recently as well? And yes, mine is installed correctly ;) (not upside down).

11. 00Sebby

00Sebby Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR
    Liked:
    I also missed out on the steering issues fortunately (excessive play and such) and my JLUR is very similar to my JKUR in the way they behave on the road. If the road has significant crown I will have to compensate a bit. My 2010 4Runner is the same way. I think the crown impact is more noticeable in tall vehicles with larger tires as they are probably leaning away from the crown with the weight shift pulling the vehicle away from the crown.

clayps likes this.
  12. quietpeen

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I did not have the V41 recall(doesn’t apply to my Jeep). I went on the highway and other roads I don’t travel often after work and everywhere I had to have the steering wheel to the left and I know it wasn’t doing it before so mine is not the same issue as yours. It does track straight on flat land though without my hand on the wheel.

13. RubenZ

RubenZ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ruben
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    I notice this with mine as well and I have SteerSmarts, Track bar braces, Adjustable Track Bars, the whole works. Its obviously just the way Solid Front Axles ride or something. Like you mine is super easy to maintain a straight line, but I do have to clock it 11 ish.

14. ChimpanZed

ChimpanZed Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    OP, you described my experience exactly. It's an artifact of solid axles and not an issue. My JK did it as well.

rohdawg and Wanted33 like this.
  15. liquids

liquids Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
    Liked:
    What's your tire pressure? The harder your tires are the more they'll follow the slant of the road. I like mine at 33, but in the fall ilke now I keep getting a dash warning every time the temp lowers and the tires fall to 30.

Powerwagon1 and HealthRebel like this.