Sponsored

Anyone else having issues with push button start?

frankfast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport 2-Door, 2017 BMW X1, 1961 Triumph TR3
Once I pushed the brake very hard and it started. Another time I did the same thing and it didn't. I tried both key fobs with the same result. I don't get the "unable to detect key fob" message. One post I read claims a switch valve on the tranny is the problem. It's at the dealer now and my warranty is up in July. I've researched the forums without a concrete result although many have the same problem. It always starts for the dealer.
Sponsored

burningcan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Once I pushed the brake very hard and it started. Another time I did the same thing and it didn't. I tried both key fobs with the same result. I don't get the "unable to detect key fob" message. One post I read claims a switch valve on the tranny is the problem. It's at the dealer now and my warranty is up in July. I've researched the forums without a concrete result although many have the same problem. It always starts for the dealer.
Were you ever able to find a solution to this issue? Mine started doing the same thing this week.

halibut214

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport X
Someone please!!! This is an ongoing issue that needs a resolution. Mine get's worse all the time and is especially bad when the outside temp is in the low 30's or below.

burningcan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Someone please!!! This is an ongoing issue that needs a resolution. Mine get's worse all the time and is especially bad when the outside temp is in the low 30's or below.
FYI. - Took mine to the dealer and they had to replace the ESS battery which was still covered by the warranty. This is the second time they've had to replace that thing. Replacing that battery did fix the issue tho.

halibut214

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to look up the ESS battery as I never heard of it but that might explain it acting up more in cold weather. Now I just have to find where it is and how much another one will set me back as I no longer have a warranty. Thanks

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't think it's the ESS battery, as it happened to me and I don't have an ESS battery. I'm now running the two battery setup from Genisis Offroad. Anyway, when it happened to me, I got a "key fob has left the vehicle" message, and it happened while the Jeep was still running after about a forty minute drive and the fob was in my pocket. It was cold out, probably 10F. Then, when I turned off the engine it still wasn't recognizing the fob was present and the Jeep wouldn't start again. The fob was in my hand. After a few tries the screen in the dash advised me to use the fob itself to press the start button and that worked and I haven't had the problem again since, which has been about two weeks.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Sounds like time to change the FOB battery.

halibut214

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's the ESS battery, as it happened to me and I don't have an ESS battery. I'm now running the two battery setup from Genisis Offroad. Anyway, when it happened to me, I got a "key fob has left the vehicle" message, and it happened while the Jeep was still running after about a forty minute drive and the fob was in my pocket. It was cold out, probably 10F. Then, when I turned off the engine it still wasn't recognizing the fob was present and the Jeep wouldn't start again. The fob was in my hand. After a few tries the screen in the dash advised me to use the fob itself to press the start button and that worked and I haven't had the problem again since, which has been about two weeks.
For starters the FOB has a new battery. Now... your situation is entirely different. I get no messages other than the normal, "press brake and start button", so I don't see this as the same thing. After doing a bit of research the one thing that makes me now think that it's perhaps NOT the ESS battery is that the two batteries seem interconnected. I watched a video where if you disconnect the main battery you still have 12 volts on the terminal so they would have to be inter connected but then I ask myself why then would you have an ESS battery at all unless there is some sort of disconnect/relay between the two. I'm not running out yet to buy a new ESS battery until I have this part sorted out.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Where do you guys get jeeps that have break pedals? What are these? Does it break your jeep when you press it? My old YJ must have had a break pedal because it would break any chance it got.

I have an automatic. Luckily mine only has a throttle or "gas" pedal to go and brake pedal to stop.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Back your Jeep up to something reflective and watch how far you have to depress your brake pedal before your brake light comes on. On my sport there’s around an inch of travel before the lights activate. I’m assuming the push button start looks for the same signal.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
For starters the FOB has a new battery. Now... your situation is entirely different. I get no messages other than the normal, "press brake and start button", so I don't see this as the same thing. After doing a bit of research the one thing that makes me now think that it's perhaps NOT the ESS battery is that the two batteries seem interconnected. I watched a video ... where if you disconnect the main battery you still have 12 volts on the terminal so they would have to be inter connected but then I ask myself why then would you have an ESS battery at all unless there is some sort of disconnect/relay between the two. I'm not running out yet to buy a new ESS battery until I have this part sorted out.
Unless you have over 60k miles on it, go to the dealer. You're still under warranty.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Happened to me twice today. Went out into the Jeep to take my father to lunch and it wouldn't start. Had to press the unlock button on the FOB a couple of times and then it started. Same thing happened after lunch. Just a little bit frustrating. Anyone else experience this?
I am sorry to hear that but it's electronics acting up , get used to it because it won't get any better in the future

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
It happened to me a couple of times and I think I might know what caused it: in both instances, I had my fob in the same pocket as my RFID wallet (while I usually leave it in the center console). I am wondering if that could have caused an interference.

Marcel

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Have a 2019 jeep wrangler , would start in cold weather, dealer replaced software, startes during mild weather, freezing temperatures won't start battery has good power, won't start till temperature comes up. What is the problem. I am getting piss off no help from dealer still under warranty.
Sponsored