Sponsored

Anyone else have issues with their Pentastar?

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
you have recorded your issues with the Jeep dealer. Make sure you have a paper trail. Buy extended warranty, if you didn't already. Then just run it, complain when something is wrong, If you have a major failure you are covered.
I did buy the extended warranty when I purchased the jeep
Sponsored

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
@7000ft elevation MT I hot idle 29-31. Usually 30 and right at 500rpm. It can dip occasionally below 29. My 3.6 is not abnormally noisy. I usually have it on oil press/temp screen and watch it start and stop for a minute or two, always. So not a one-day sample. FWIW.
I'm not sure if altitude would affect oil pressure although I am guessing you are probably seeing colder weather.

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
So yes, then you and I are more or less equivalent. No Tazer here either, stock with only the options that it left the factory with (more or less -- but no electronic / mechanical changes). Elevation is around 1200 for me. I think I'm currently running 91, but that was part of a test - usually I run 87.

You could also check the oil level I suppose, although 26 doesn't sound concerning at all to me TBH. Again though, not a mechanic. Certainly not low oil pressure at idle by any definition.

That said, I've got to run to the store later. I'll let it idle a bit and let you know, but I really wouldn't be too worried whether we match up or not.
sat on 28 steadily for 2 mins. Engine was at 185 or so. I tapped the accelerator a bit - just to 1100 rpm or so. Sat on 27 non stop.

as I said, drive more, worry less. As a previous commenter said, you’ve documented it. That’s all you can do, and it seems to me it’s working as expected.

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
sat on 28 steadily for 2 mins. Engine was at 185 or so. I tapped the accelerator a bit - just to 1100 rpm or so. Sat on 27 non stop.

as I said, drive more, worry less. As a previous commenter said, you’ve documented it. That’s all you can do, and it seems to me it’s working as expected.
Thank you for doing that, at 185 mine will be at 29, usually it will drop to 28 and 27 after the oil temp reaches over 205 at idle then settle at 26 after a while. Once you start driving again it goes back to normal. I do mostly in town driving so a lot of stop and go in warm southern weather generates more engine heat.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Drove my 3.6L 6 sp today. Idle oil pressure @30 - 31 with oil temp @195. Using 0-20 Penzoil Platnium, with about 20% oil life left, stock Mopar filter.

26 psi wouldn’t concern me, unless it starts dropping over time.

Sponsored

Rick4570

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
My 2022 3.6 idles around 30-32 when cold. After complete warm up it idles anywhere from 26 to 28. The pressure shoots up to 70 psi plus when above 4000 rpm's or so. I do hear some engine noise when cold but it quiets down as it warms up. Neighbor is a jeep guy and says it is normal, he has a 3.6 with 110,000 miles and his has been that way since new.

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
My 2022 3.6 idles around 30-32 when cold. After complete warm up it idles anywhere from 26 to 28. The pressure shoots up to 70 psi plus when above 4000 rpm's or so. I do hear some engine noise when cold but it quiets down as it warms up. Neighbor is a jeep guy and says it is normal, he has a 3.6 with 110,000 miles and his has been that way since new.
Thank you for your comment, guess I was stressed over nothing. This day and age can't be too careful

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I guess I'll add my own observations with oil pressure. Mine idles at 30 and stays there when casually driving lol. (eg, not exceeding about 3k rpm). I was surprised at how stable it is!

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
Well I think I got everything sorted out with the noise and oil pressure. Sorry for crap talking and hope I didn't cause any stress. I guess I got OCD or something. Thank you to all the people who helped out with their observations.

Sponsored

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I'm getting really burnt out on my JL wrangler's Pentastar engine, I have a 2022 with the 3.6L with 6 speed manual with 4000 miles and that engine has become a daily dread every time I have to cold start it. Sometimes it gets a lifter tick for 20 seconds until oil pressure builds in the lifter tappets and it has this weird idle down tapping noise off fast idle that I have been complaining about since new. Also I have noticed that after the engine has ran for a while my oil pressure will read 26 to 27 psi at low idle when other people say theirs idles at 29 psi. I have tried Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w20 and now has amsoil signature 0w20 with mopar filter and I still can't get this engine to sound decent on start up. Everything else about the jeep is great except the pentaturd and, surprise, the engine was made in mexico. Anyone else have these issues and have any suggestions on how to fix them. I've already taken the jeep to the dealer several times and they can't fix anything.

Uhhhh, mine is uber dependable. I love it.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I'm getting really burnt out on my JL wrangler's Pentastar engine, I have a 2022 with the 3.6L with 6 speed manual with 4000 miles and that engine has become a daily dread every time I have to cold start it. Sometimes it gets a lifter tick for 20 seconds until oil pressure builds in the lifter tappets and it has this weird idle down tapping noise off fast idle that I have been complaining about since new. Also I have noticed that after the engine has ran for a while my oil pressure will read 26 to 27 psi at low idle when other people say theirs idles at 29 psi. I have tried Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w20 and now has amsoil signature 0w20 with mopar filter and I still can't get this engine to sound decent on start up. Everything else about the jeep is great except the pentaturd and, surprise, the engine was made in mexico. Anyone else have these issues and have any suggestions on how to fix them. I've already taken the jeep to the dealer several times and they can't fix anything.
I have pretty low standards when it comes to my equipment, but with only 4000 miles (since July), this whole vehicle is insanely smooth and quiet.

Go drive my 1995 7.3 Powerstroke with 300,000 miles for a few miles. I wish the Jeep was rougher around the edges; feels too fancy for my liking.
Similar experience jumping between my 99 Cummins and my JLU. The 3.6 is sooo smooth and quiet I can't hear or feel when to shift and I can barely feel when the clutch engages. I'm seriously considering a muffler delete or an old school cherry bomb just so I can hear something.

My only real complaint is that split second lag with the electronic throttle response, it has made me look like a complete noob more times than I care to admit. Then the Cummins is almost impossible to stall. Hopefully a throttle controller will fix that.

I was going to order a sport Willys, I didn't need any of that fancy shit either but my wife talked me into all the bells and whistles. Now I'm hooked, damnit.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Keep in mind I am a tech so I see engines fail all the time, I am trying to avoid this situation.
No one ever brings you things that are running well, so your perspective is not typical :)

...My key issue with the GM midsize trucks is that the interior looks and feels completely outdated.
GM interiors have looked outdated for at least 20 years. Someone very high up at GM is still in love with the 1990s.

tlknasel

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Web Applications Developer
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon with a Pentastar V6 has 16,830 miles and has been flawless. Great gas mileage and great performance-even got a little bit of growl to it. Thanks to the technicians at Koons's CDJR of Tysons. VA for taking care of me.

Speaking of new GM and Ford product interiors-the new Colorado/Canyon and Ford Ranger Raptor exteriors look great, but new interiors look like crap-who designs this stuff anyway. The new Colorado/Canyon interior looks terrible, just check out the NAV placement.
Sponsored