Sponsored

Anyone else have issues with their Pentastar?

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
I'm getting really burnt out on my JL wrangler's Pentastar engine, I have a 2022 with the 3.6L with 6 speed manual with 4000 miles and that engine has become a daily dread every time I have to cold start it. Sometimes it gets a lifter tick for 20 seconds until oil pressure builds in the lifter tappets and it has this weird idle down tapping noise off fast idle that I have been complaining about since new. Also I have noticed that after the engine has ran for a while my oil pressure will read 26 to 27 psi at low idle when other people say theirs idles at 29 psi. I have tried Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w20 and now has amsoil signature 0w20 with mopar filter and I still can't get this engine to sound decent on start up. Everything else about the jeep is great except the pentaturd and, surprise, the engine was made in mexico. Anyone else have these issues and have any suggestions on how to fix them. I've already taken the jeep to the dealer several times and they can't fix anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
Sorry to hear it, I havenā€™t had the same experience.

Might be worth taking it to another shop to see if they find.
I did try taking to a service writer from another dealer and he passed it all off as normal, I mean is 26 psi of oil pressure normal on hot idle because everyone else says theirs is at 29 psi

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
If it is absolutely that horribly annoying to you....Iā€™d simply trade it off. No waaaaaaaaaay Iā€™d let a material item cause me the displeasure youā€™re conveying to the rest of us.

Additionally........ASSSSS/OIL sure isnā€™t gonna be a cure-all for each and every little noise, whether itā€™s inside an engine, transmission, transfer case, or axle housing.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
As a test, try another brand of filter (WIX, FRAM, STP) and 5W-30 instead of 0W-20.

It would be a cheap way to see if there is any difference. You may have issues with the rocker arms/lifters and there are some engines that require replacement of them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
If it is absolutely that horribly annoying to you....Iā€™d simply trade it off. No waaaaaaaaaay Iā€™d let a material item cause me the displeasure youā€™re conveying to the rest of us.

Additionally........ASSSSS/OIL sure isnā€™t gonna be a cure-all for each and every little noise, whether itā€™s inside an engine, transmission, transfer case, or axle housing.
I can't simply trade it off as they will just role the negative equity I have into the new car payment, I already tried pricing out a new 4runner and that's what they were trying to do. I shouldn't have to trade in a car and shell out more just because somebody in mexico poorly slapped my engine together. They should fix their mistake.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)

Ditto-if this is something the dealer canā€™t or wonā€™t fix and itā€™s bugging you that much itā€™s time for a new Timex. Lifeā€™s too short to be wasted worrying about bs stuff. Sounds like a lifter is bleeding down so a fix shouldnā€™t be that big of deal. I doubt that 3 lbs difference in oil pressure will ultimately make any difference in engine longevity.

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
As a test, try another brand of filter (WIX, FRAM, STP) and 5W-30 instead of 0W-20.

It would be a cheap way to see if there is any difference. You may have issues with the rocker arms/lifters and there are some engines that require replacement of them.
I've already had the right side rocker arms and lifter tappets replace on the right side by the dealer last month, that's when I noticed I only had 26 psi of oil pressure at hot idle when it used to be 28 to 29 psi.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I have the same engine and have not experienced what you have laid out in your post. I actually love that engine, compared to my daughterā€™s 2.0T which sounds like a bloody tractor when she starts it. My husbandā€™s 392 has a squeak when he starts his. Might just be a quirk that you either live with or trade it in for something else.

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
I wish I could just trade it in but it is too new and has negative equity therefore my car payments will be astronomical. I hate the feeling of being stuck with a defective engine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
I have the same engine and have not experienced what you have laid out in your post. I actually love that engine, compared to my daughterā€™s 2.0T which sounds like a bloody tractor when she starts it. My husbandā€™s 392 has a squeak when he starts his. Might just be a quirk that you either live with or trade it in for something else.
I've had the turbo as well and it too sounded like a tractor, seems like nobody can make a decent vehicle these days.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I've already had the right side rocker arms and lifter tappets replace on the right side by the dealer last month, that's when I noticed I only had 26 psi of oil pressure at hot idle when it used to be 28 to 29 psi.
I would take it back and engage @JeepCares for assistance.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wouldn't be concerned with that pressure at idle. But the suggestion to go to a 5-30 is worth trying if that pressure is giving you stress.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I could just trade it in but it is too new and has negative equity therefore my car payments will be astronomical. I hate the feeling of being stuck with a defective engine.
LEMON

LAW

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I've had the turbo as well and it too sounded like a tractor, seems like nobody can make a decent vehicle these days.
In the last 3 years i think standards have dropped due to staff shortage, parts shortage and it isnt just in the Jeep world. It is with everything that you buy now. Nothing has the same standards pre covid. Everything that i purchase has something wrong with it, parts missing etc etc. it is the current world we live in and i dont see anything happening any time soon to get us back to where we were before 2020.
Sponsored