Sponsored

Anyone else have issues with their Pentastar?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same engine and have not experienced what you have laid out in your post. I actually love that engine, compared to my daughter’s 2.0T which sounds like a bloody tractor when she starts it. My husband’s 392 has a squeak when he starts his. Might just be a quirk that you either live with or trade it in for something else.
Believe it or not that squeak is common at least on the 3.6L engines too and it's not the engine. Tell your husband to press the brake pedal super gently when starting it and see if the squeak goes away. It did on all three 3.6L we had. It' has something to do with the brake booster.
Sponsored

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
I have 3 JL's each with the V6 Auto. Have not had those issues. Each has it's own particularities.
I can't complain about the Pentastar other than wishing for a little more power.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yep. I had a 2019 Audi TTRS and she sounded like a ticking time bomb when i started her up. Let her warm and then let rip on the freeway and she sounded like she was supposed to sound. My 3.6 is exactly the same. She moans and groans but once i let the engine noise subside, i drove it like i stole it, all with a huge grin. I sometimes think certain Jeep people look for problems that arent there. if it isnt clanking once it has warmed up and it drives ok, why keep worrying about a number? I guess im just not that anal 🤷‍♀️
I think folks are just a little more sensitive to these things nowadays since it takes a billion years to get repairs done due to labor and part shortages.

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
I wish I could just trade it in but it is too new and has negative equity therefore my car payments will be astronomical. I hate the feelinmg of being stuck with a defective engine.
My brother sold his 22 Willy's to CarMax or Carvana for more than he paid plus he sold his half doors for $1,200 separate on FB marketplace. I have 2018 with 3.6 and love it.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Old toyota's were that way, the new ones are complete crap and break constantly. The only new toyota I would buy is the 4runner because it still uses that reliable 4.0L. I'd still rather have the pentastar than the god awful new 3.5L they put in the new tacomas.
I've got a few buddies with 2016 and up Tacos and not a one of them is happy. Engine issues, frame issues, automatic is hot garbage on its best day. I had a first-gen Prerunner and I wish I'da never sold the thing. I almost bought a 2016 when they came out, but I'm still glad I held off on the new engine.

My sister has a Corolla, and those still seem to be decent little sewing machines, although I don't care for the CVT. And I didn't understand for the life of me why she traded her Jeep for that when she moved to Wyoming, of all places... until she drove back and forth from Indiana 4 times within the next year.

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried shell V power 93 octane numerous times, no difference. Exxon 93 octane, no difference, regular 87 and still no difference.
You need to understand that it's ultimately your money and your jeep that is causing this dissatisfaction and any amount of advice here will not help you stop feeling that way.

Either you could start taking some of the suggested actions to see if that improves the situation (5w30, remote-start/idle before a cold drive, High-octane fuel, anti-drip for engine oil, different dealership..etc.)
Or you should lemon law it if it's a genuine issue that is not seen in other wranglers with the same engine.

If you are looking for an easy tap-the-hammer-once-here fix, there is none IMO.

more importantly, if you think anything that is not made in USA will be garbage or of lesser quality, there is no workaround that can make you feel differently unless you give those people credit for their hard work, industry and diligence. They are just the same as the people in the US who are doing their best work to stay in job and provide for their loved ones.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I think folks are just a little more sensitive to these things nowadays since it takes a billion years to get repairs done due to labor and part shortages.
But if there is actually nothing wrong with this Jeep, other than the fact it is a little noisy, there is no point stressing about something that isnt really a problem. If this were mine and my local dealer couldnt find anything wrong then i would be finding a reputable shop and have someone independent look at it. Life is too effin short to keep stressing about something that might not be worth stressing about. If it bothers this person then i would be looking elsewhere for answers or get rid of it and buy a Honda Civic.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Believe it or not that squeak is common at least on the 3.6L engines too and it's not the engine. Tell your husband to press the brake pedal super gently when starting it and see if the squeak goes away. It did on all three 3.6L we had. It' has something to do with the brake booster.
[/QUOTE
thing is, it doesnt bother him at all. I told him he had a squeak and his words ‘can you hear that when i do this?’ and he proceeds to rev that beautiful engine and off he drives. He doesnt get hung up on stupid shit or noises. Typical of most men in my family, he cant hear squeaky noises and so isnt affected by them LOL! Now, smells are a whole different kettle of fish with him!

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a few buddies with 2016 and up Tacos and not a one of them is happy. Engine issues, frame issues, automatic is hot garbage on its best day. I had a first-gen Prerunner and I wish I'da never sold the thing. I almost bought a 2016 when they came out, but I'm still glad I held off on the new engine.
Your take is interesting. My brother is looking for a used mid-sized truck, and isn't crazy about the Ranger or Chevy/GMC twins and was considering a 3rd gen Taco (can't afford a JT). I knew of frame issues (rust) w/ the previous gen, but I didn't know the current one is still experiencing that. I know there not the most comfortable thing to drive, but I was unaware of them having engine/trans issue as well as the frame.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread! :LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Your take is interesting. My brother is looking for a used mid-sized truck, and isn't crazy about the Ranger or Chevy/GMC twins and was considering a 3rd gen Taco (can't afford a JT). I knew of frame issues (rust) w/ the previous gen, but I didn't know the current one is still experiencing that. I know there not the most comfortable thing to drive, but I was unaware of them having engine/trans issue as well as the frame.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread! :LOL:
You’d have to be a die-hard Tacoma fan to put up with that crummy engine and transmission without complaining.

My brother and best friend both own a GMC Canyon: they are both happy with their trucks; they drive well and haven’t had any issues. The Colorado/Canyon with the diesel is very efficient, too.

My key issue with the GM midsize trucks is that the interior looks and feels completely outdated.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The noise I can live with as long as I can duplicate it on other jeeps, its the oil pressure I want to make sure is right.
Just for reference, I was checking my oil pressure readings on the way to work today (~50°F), and at cold start it was already up to 32PSI by the time I got to the right screen (few seconds). Under load, either up hills or with heavier throttle it would be anywhere in between 60 and 80PSI, but would always drop back down to 31 to 32PSI under normal cruising at any speed. At warm idle, it would drop to 29PSI (or 0PSI with the ESS turning the engine off).

Didn't really notice too much excessive noise during startup today, and usually my engine seems to be the noisiest at idle when parked after a 30 to 40 minute drive (sometimes it's really noisy and sounds like a diesel engine - and sometimes it's not bad at all, given the exact same driving conditions).

Chief Toby

First Name
Chief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD 4Runner Off Road ; 2023 Orange High Tide
As a test, try another brand of filter (WIX, FRAM, STP) and 5W-30 instead of 0W-20.

It would be a cheap way to see if there is any difference. You may have issues with the rocker arms/lifters and there are some engines that require replacement of them.
I would go to 15-30 synthetic pennzoil........ that being said I do love my 2021 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo in my 2-door Wrangler Willys........runs circles around the 2016 Pentastar I used to have.

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
In the last 3 years i think standards have dropped due to staff shortage, parts shortage and it isnt just in the Jeep world. It is with everything that you buy now. Nothing has the same standards pre covid. Everything that i purchase has something wrong with it, parts missing etc etc. it is the current world we live in and i dont see anything happening any time soon to get us back to where we were before 2020.
I've got the 2020 2.0T and like others say it sounds like farming equipment the first 1-3 minutes, then smoothes out. Being a 2020 it's pre COVID, at least in terms of the 2.0T I think the tractor sound is "normal" for this engine vs a problem.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I have a ‘19 with over 50K miles and no complaints. Would definitely engage jeepcares and let them work with the desire to rectify your concerns.
Sponsored