Sponsored

Anyone else have issues with their Pentastar?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
Then you all are lucky because my engine sounds like garbage when I start it up in the morning and when I leave work, lifter tick and then either spark knock or piston slap I don't really know. It will be the last pentaturd I ever buy that's for sure. It would be nice if I could figure out how to fix the damn thing.
Ever try to run a higher octane just to see what would happen? 1 tank wouldn't hurt. 1/2 tank of 93 or almost full tank of 89? Just a question, not a mechanic. Worst comes to worst you're out a few extra bucks in gas.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Nope, just the opposite! We have two in the Family, and they have given us no issues. They perform very well. I have owned 27 different vehicles in my life, and this is one of my favorite engines. But I would also like to try a 392.

failsafe306

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2.0
Build Thread
Link
I hate that you’re having engine problems on your new Jeep. That sucks for anyone. But to automatically blame some hypothetical underpaid Mexican worker (repeatedly so far) of not assembling your engine correctly tells me a lot about you as a person. I guess there are no skilled workers in Mexico, according to you.

Trade it in or stop whining about it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting really burnt out on my JL wrangler's Pentastar engine, I have a 2022 with the 3.6L with 6 speed manual with 4000 miles and that engine has become a daily dread every time I have to cold start it. Sometimes it gets a lifter tick for 20 seconds until oil pressure builds in the lifter tappets and it has this weird idle down tapping noise off fast idle that I have been complaining about since new. Also I have noticed that after the engine has ran for a while my oil pressure will read 26 to 27 psi at low idle when other people say theirs idles at 29 psi. I have tried Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w20 and now has amsoil signature 0w20 with mopar filter and I still can't get this engine to sound decent on start up. Everything else about the jeep is great except the pentaturd and, surprise, the engine was made in mexico. Anyone else have these issues and have any suggestions on how to fix them. I've already taken the jeep to the dealer several times and they can't fix anything.
Drive the summabich like you stole it, blow the MFer up and make them give you a new engine under warranty….🙄

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
Ever try to run a higher octane just to see what would happen? 1 tank wouldn't hurt. 1/2 tank of 93 or almost full tank of 89? Just a question, not a mechanic. Worst comes to worst you're out a few extra bucks in gas.
I've tried shell V power 93 octane numerous times, no difference. Exxon 93 octane, no difference, regular 87 and still no difference.

Sponsored

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting really burnt out on my JL wrangler's Pentastar engine, I have a 2022 with the 3.6L with 6 speed manual with 4000 miles and that engine has become a daily dread every time I have to cold start it. Sometimes it gets a lifter tick for 20 seconds until oil pressure builds in the lifter tappets and it has this weird idle down tapping noise off fast idle that I have been complaining about since new. Also I have noticed that after the engine has ran for a while my oil pressure will read 26 to 27 psi at low idle when other people say theirs idles at 29 psi. I have tried Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w20 and now has amsoil signature 0w20 with mopar filter and I still can't get this engine to sound decent on start up. Everything else about the jeep is great except the pentaturd and, surprise, the engine was made in mexico. Anyone else have these issues and have any suggestions on how to fix them. I've already taken the jeep to the dealer several times and they can't fix anything.
No

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
I hate that you’re having engine problems on your new Jeep. That sucks for anyone. But to automatically blame some hypothetical underpaid Mexican worker (repeatedly so far) of not assembling your engine correctly tells me a lot about you as a person. I guess there are no skilled workers in Mexico, according to you.

Trade it in or stop whining about it.
Well its funny how the rest of the jeep that was made in the USA is perfectly fine and the transmission is an Aisin transmission made in Japan is also perfectly fine, the big headache right now is the engine which was made in Mexico, and they were never really known for their quality to begin with. Just like China, they under pay their employees and cut corners. If quality control is so great over there then why does my engine that I treat like a princess sounds like its falling apart every morning.

Deleted member 74991

I got lucky I don’t have the same problem. Bummer Dude.

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
I got lucky I don’t have the same problem. Bummer Dude.
Yeah unfortunately I don't have any luck, I got cursed with cancer and nothing but problems. I can't have anything nice apparently no matter how hard I work.

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Is it a manual? What size tire are you running? Whats your differential gear ratio.

Hills? Florida? Something about this post doesnt add up.
Stock 4.10 on stock wheels. And yes, Florida is largely flat, but that doesn't mean hills don't exist.

Sponsored

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
Well its funny how the rest of the jeep that was made in the USA is perfectly fine and the transmission is an Aisin transmission made in Japan is also perfectly fine, the big headache right now is the engine which was made in Mexico, and they were never really known for their quality to begin with. Just like China, they under pay their employees and cut corners. If quality control is so great over there then why does my engine that I treat like a princess sounds like its falling apart every morning.
What you don't seem to understand is that shit happens no matter where it is made. I am sure there are U.S. made 3.6 owners that have had issues too. If what you say is correct that all Wrangler 3.6s are made in Mexico, then the numbers about reliability of engines from Mexico is against you.

It is a sellers market right now, and I could have sold my Jeep for more than I bought it for after I purchased it. If you are that upside down that you cannot get out of it, then that is on you for putting yourself in that situation.
I am sorry you are in this situation, but you are going to have to deal with it, and complaining about anything you assume to be true without citing proper evidence, especially when the contrary has been proven time and again with high mileage reliable Mexican built engines, will not gain you any sympathy.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a manual? What size tire are you running? Whats your differential gear ratio.

Hills? Florida? Something about this post doesnt add up.
My hometown in central Florida had a ton of hills. Not San Francisco level but definitely enough to notice. It surrounded a lake and all the roads leaving the lake area went uphill.

Stock 4.10 on stock wheels. And yes, Florida is largely flat, but that doesn't mean hills don't exist.
^yep!

failsafe306

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2.0
Build Thread
Link
I didn’t realize there were general reliability issues with Mexican made pentastar engines.
I bet you were also bent out of shape about the welds on those American Made JL frames too.

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Then you all are lucky because my engine sounds like garbage when I start it up in the morning and when I leave work, lifter tick and then either spark knock or piston slap I don't really know. It will be the last pentaturd I ever buy that's for sure. It would be nice if I could figure out how to fix the damn thing.
You seem very knowledgeable with regards to your 'Pentaturd'. So why then did you buy it in the first place?

OP
OP
MagnusWolf89

MagnusWolf89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler willys 3.6
You seem very knowledgeable with regards to your 'Pentaturd'. So why then did you buy it in the first place?
Because they didn't let me cold start it when I bought it so I wasn't aware of the god awful ticking tapping racket it made until after I drove it home.
Sponsored